Help › Forums

please explain tiebreaker

rated by 0 users
Mon, Oct 14 2019 3:52 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • bigdogsppe
    321 Posts
    Mon, Sep 1 2014 4:40 AM

First Tee Open Manny Yankees shot a 52-54, Estienne shot a 54-52. Manny Yankees wins 1st place. How is this possible explain the tie breaker to me. I always thought the best last round in a tie wins?

• opusx69
    30 Posts
    Mon, Sep 1 2014 6:41 AM

From the tournament rules:

In the event of a tie , the better scoring entrant between or among the tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest combined score for the final nine (9) holes of the Game. If any ties remain, the better scoring entrant between or among the remaining tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest combined score for the final six (6) holes for such Game. If any ties remain, the better scoring entrant between or among the remaining tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest combined score for the final three (3) holes for such Game. If any ties remain, the better scoring entrant between or among the remaining tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest score for the 18th hole (9th for nine hole games) in such Game, and any remaining ties will be determined by identifying the lowest scoring entrant for each individual game hole, in sequence from 17th (8th for nine hole games) through to 1st, as is necessary to determine a winner, and if any ties remain at that point, the earlier-submitted entry between or among the tied entries will be deemed the better scoring entry.

• bigdogsppe
    321 Posts
    Mon, Sep 1 2014 7:33 AM

Well by that written rule Estienne is winner!

• russellfahey
    4,286 Posts
    Mon, Sep 1 2014 10:06 AM

bigdogsppe:

Well by that written rule Estienne is winner!

Not really Doyce,as it's the last 9 holes of the Tourny that is taken into consideration for how they place players.So if both players had the same amount of shots for the 1st 6 holes of the back 9,It's possible that Estienne may have parred 1 of the last 3 holes,whilst Manyankess could of birdied all of the last 3,therefore Manyankees will be placed 1st.

I finished on top of everyone that posted a 111,yet the player in 10th with the score of 111 had exactly the same scores as me 56-55.

Only way to really tell is if you knew what both players had scored on each of the last 9 holes,then you would be able to see why he won it on countback.

Russell

• opusx69
    30 Posts
    Sat, Sep 6 2014 5:12 AM

Is there a way to see anyone's scorecard?

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Sat, Sep 6 2014 7:22 AM

opusx69:

No.

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Sat, Sep 6 2014 3:50 PM

Funny thing though, in multi round weeklies and monthly multi round premiums, the win always goes to the person with the better final round. Obviously not the case here.

I think that in tourneys where there's a unlimited play qualifier and on single play round WGT favours the better qualifying score before the final round. I see that being logical from the company's standpoint (to get people to use up a gozzillion sleeves of balls to convert that 54 in a 52), but from a competitive standpoint it's just plain ridiculous.

• russellfahey
    4,286 Posts
    Sat, Sep 6 2014 4:42 PM

opusx69:

Only if they have posted that scorecard on there wall.

Russell

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Sat, Sep 6 2014 10:50 PM

mkrizan86:

Funny thing though, in multi round weeklies and monthly multi round premiums, the win always goes to the person with the better final round. Obviously not the case here.

Nobody knows because we don't see the back nine scores. The higher 18 hole score may be from a splendid comeback after a desastrous front nine. (greetings from VEM!)

mkrizan86:
    I think that in tourneys where there's a unlimited play qualifier and on single play round WGT favours the better qualifying score before the final round. I see that being logical from the company's standpoint (to get people to use up a gozzillion sleeves of balls to convert that 54 in a 52), but from a competitive standpoint it's just plain ridiculous.

I agree concerning unlimited play and ball sales, but not in the implication of tie-breaking. Conspiracy? Illuminati? Choose you tin foil hat! (pun intended)

• 1yes1no
    223 Posts
    Sun, Sep 7 2014 12:39 AM

alosso:

I agree concerning unlimited play and ball sales, but not in the implication of tie-breaking. Conspiracy? Illuminati? Choose you tin foil hat! (pun intended)

I always wear my tinfoil hat to protect from errant shots.  Just check my profile pic.  On a serious note, I believe the WGT method is as fair as any other.

• PAGES
RSS