Forums

Help › Forums

Question about replays

Fri, Aug 29 2014 2:42 AM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • PRStevenson
    842 Posts
    Wed, Aug 27 2014 9:08 AM

I just had one of those WTF?! moments as another ball seemingly went into the hole, straight line, didn't touch the lip crossed over the hole yet managed somehow not go in...didn't want to waste a save but realized I still had the option to share.

So I copied the link and played a few games and then came back to the link to view it and to my surprise it worked just like all my saved replays.

I had assumed that I'd only be able to watch those replays that were saved. So does WGT store the details of every shot and have a link for each one? If so, how long are they available for?

I can't imagine it's indefinite otherwise it would make saving replays a redundant feature...

• bluzgolf
    1,072 Posts
    Wed, Aug 27 2014 9:16 AM

I have some that are over a year old and still work.

• WGTdbloshoe
    2,840 Posts
    Wed, Aug 27 2014 11:12 AM

PRStevenson:

I just had one of those WTF?! moments as another ball seemingly went into the hole, straight line, didn't touch the lip crossed over the hole yet managed somehow not go in...didn't want to waste a save but realized I still had the option to share.

So I copied the link and played a few games and then came back to the link to view it and to my surprise it worked just like all my saved replays.

I had assumed that I'd only be able to watch those replays that were saved. So does WGT store the details of every shot and have a link for each one? If so, how long are they available for?

I can't imagine it's indefinite otherwise it would make saving replays a redundant feature...

We don't save every shot every player makes.  However if they save the replay or share then the shot is saved.  Not sure how long the shared links are saved but I would imagine quite a long time.

- WGTdbloshoe

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Aug 27 2014 12:21 PM

WGTdbloshoe:
      However if they save the replay or share then the shot is saved. 

They have pretty good hang time. I have in saving shots from 2009, 2010, 2011, and so on to this year; but only room for 10, so cherry pick with care. 

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Wed, Aug 27 2014 12:38 PM

Apples, peaches ;)

The OP talks about shared replays, those sent by mail rather than being on the profile.

While I can only assume that they are long-living, you can certainly save as many as you have room for short text e-mails or 40-character links on your PC - I have about 130.

About their life expectancy:

My guess is that the shared links work as long as the links saved on the profile, which may be "eternal" in computing / internet measures. Thus it should not make any difference in the methods.

Take care: The latter work only while they ARE on the profile, unless copied in a second special process. Scott know it.

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Wed, Aug 27 2014 1:18 PM

The easiest answer to this is, if you have cherished replays saved on your profile page, and I don't mean to your blog, then do not delete them even if you have copies saved somewhere else.

The safest way of creating a replay is to share it instead.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Wed, Aug 27 2014 1:43 PM

ScottHope:
    The safest way of creating a replay is to share it instead.

And on the share ... 

if you open a new browser window and paste the URL, when you run it, it will give you a "Member sent you this replay" screen.

To avoid this and the ad that follows when viewing a shared replay, load the replay from this screen, then copy the URL from the game client screen.

It is kind of a pain, but you will avoid having to go through the Replay screen to get to the replay.

You can save as many as these as you want in a Word Type Document.  Mine are all described, and the URL is added with the Hyperlink Icon.

I'm guessing just like the CC Tournaments, if you "share" a replay, they don't ever get removed.

Hey Scott ... wanna put one of those training vids together to clear up the confusion of what I recommended ... avoiding the "Replay" screen?

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Wed, Aug 27 2014 1:47 PM

I like the "member sent a replay" screen. It avoids a second game screen to be opened with an "illegal!!" advice & negative result.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Wed, Aug 27 2014 2:07 PM

alosso:

I like the "member sent a replay" screen. It avoids a second game screen to be opened with an "illegal!!" advice & negative result.

That is an issue if you remove the "member sent a replay" link.

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Wed, Aug 27 2014 2:19 PM

I appreciate what you are saying Kat and I do all my links like you as you know, but I was trying to keep things as simple as possible to avoid any further confusion about saving, sharing, copying and possibly losing precious replays.

• PAGES
RSS