Help › Forums

Merion’s # 5

rated by 0 users
Tue, Aug 19 2014 4:13 PM (2 replies)
  • geegadwha
    49 Posts
    Tue, Aug 19 2014 1:09 PM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US KO X-NONE

Dear ladies and gents, members of cyber golf and tournament events. Lend me your ear, while I tell you a story of a hole that’s so ***. Observe while I paint a picture of Marion’s # cinco, some may like it so forgive me, I’m a sicko. Four hundred and twenty yard is a fine driving hole, and hitting the fairway is always the goal. Taking a good look there’s only one thing to say, clear the bunkers and the balls in play.

I set up right and align myself straight, cuz the fairway moves left with deliberate hate. I stand firm and grounded take aim but confound it, the ball dances and jumps and I’m lucky to have found it. Now the approach is as perilous, freighting and filled with grinch’s, for again the green slanting left 5 feet 6 inches. I set back spin on max, set full flaps and relax. The ball lands softly and all looks good, but then takes a hard left, which I’ve never understood.  

I’m in trouble now and losing mojo, praying my ball grows a 5 O’clock shadow. Its hard left now and pick up speed,. I’ve conceded and nicked named it Sen. Harry Reed.  When all said and done I’m not having fun, as I walk off disgusted, dismayed and undone. For now what can I say, Merion’s number 5 as jacked with my Feng Shui          

geegadwha

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Tue, Aug 19 2014 3:35 PM

I just got a rare Birdie on that hole, I think it was the 1st time that's happened. Plus, I don't Birdie too much on any hole, but anyway.

My notes suggest that (with the FRONT PIN PLACEMENT) 'I usually go too long on that approach', so I backed it off, yet I must clear the FW green front.

And it usually does roll left so I land right, but lately I'll put a little top spin on it and when the ball lands it hardly rolls at all !

Maybe it's just a temporary thing but the last few times I've played this hole (front pin placement) my aim has been adjusted for it to funnel from right to left because of the cant, toward the pin (and not onto the fairway, green left this time) but with the top spin it seems to keep the ball from rolling.

Pin placement in the back is a little similar in some ways.

Individual results will vary.

-------

On this approach I didn't aim as far right as usual, and I used 1/2 TS on a MAX ball 2.5 spin. This is Merion 5 on the Best Of Par 4 hole 17.

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Tue, Aug 19 2014 4:13 PM

Yep, to the front pin you want to land your approach short and right, adjusting spin according to ball, club, and wind.  Here's an example of a good landing place for the approach:

208 yd 4-iron eagle

This was a 1-in-a-100 shot, but presented just to show the ideal landing area. Views #2 and #5 give you a good look at where you want to land.

At best, this approach leaves you a makeable uphill putt for birdie (or a lucky eagle) and at worst, a fairly easy uphill pitch or chip with the occasional holeout for birdie or a very easy par.

RSS