Help › Forums

Bethpage 4 - How to Eagle

rated by 0 users
Tue, Oct 21 2014 2:17 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • BulletGill
    4 Posts
    Sat, Aug 2 2014 11:48 PM

With an approach generally around 200 yds (pin at front just over bunker), I cant seem to find the best shot to hit. Inevitably it seems I end up long, often off the back. Easy birdie but I've seen some comments like 'hit it to 5ft'. Would be very greatful if anyone was willing to share how they do it.

• spdemon
    1,588 Posts
    Sun, Aug 3 2014 11:41 AM

BulletGill:

With an approach generally around 200 yds (pin at front just over bunker), I cant seem to find the best shot to hit. Inevitably it seems I end up long, often off the back. Easy birdie but I've seen some comments like 'hit it to 5ft'. Would be very greatful if anyone was willing to share how they do it.

I've only got 2 eagles on that hole never from a putt one pitch from around 25 yrds and a 30 something yrd punch 

I've only seen the green held 2 times and not 5 ft from the hole either 

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Sun, Aug 3 2014 12:09 PM

I think I have made eagle here 3 times and all 3 were from either pitches or flops that were holed out. I have only stayed on the green in 2 maybe 2 or 3 times.  Those hit to  5 feet comments are just someone's pipe dreams. Unless they got lucky and hit the pin and it bounced back 5 feet!

• PBaldwin
    108 Posts
    Sun, Aug 3 2014 12:22 PM

I've stopped on the green maybe once, by hitting the rough and trickling onto the green.  I was playing alt shot one day with my partner on shorter tees and had a full head wind on my approach with an iron.  I believe I used a full swing 4 iron FBS and it still managed to roll off the back of the green.  I'm just not sure what else to do to make it stick on that green.  It's like landing on concrete.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sun, Aug 3 2014 12:22 PM
    A member of my club got a double eagle there but personally I never go for the green. Just aim to land about 25 yards to the right and take a chance with a wedge.
  • JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Sun, Aug 3 2014 4:37 PM

The only time I got on the green, maybe twice, was by a little aiming left and 'slicing' right and it rolled on the green from the left side rough after a bounce or two, and even then it was a long putt....didn't make Eagle, but that's how I made the green.

edit:

Note subsequent posts w/ vids-

I like esp. video #1, and as with all the rest,  like I said from the left side (after a bounce or two), note even the putts are from left of the pin.

and the success I've had reaching the green in 2 like this was with a starter ball. I think if I try it again I will use this angle...from the left.

bluzgolf:

• sammey1
    679 Posts
    Sun, Aug 3 2014 6:43 PM

I put it on a few times and eagled with a long putt once. As for stopping it 5ft I think you need to be really long off the tee then have some nike balls with extra spin to hold it anywhere near the pin.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Aug 3 2014 8:26 PM

I don't recall a posted replay showing a putt for eagle. I have played that hole since wgt opened Beth and to go for the green in two is a 98% failure idea, regardless of distance. It brings sand well into play, which is another tough one to get very close. It is a losing idea unless you are just goofing around. On the second shot, view from the rear and put the pointer so as to insure the sand is out of play. The distance will vary from 190 to 215 and leave anywhere from 25 to 35 left to go. I play a flop or a punch depending upon distance. I birdie the hole 80+% of the time and have holed eagles many times, but it is a done deal birdie most of the time. This is to say there is no secret path or direction to go in two. 

• bluzgolf
    1,072 Posts
    Sun, Aug 3 2014 9:01 PM

Approach shot.

replay.aspx?ID=a02a44fa 054b 47cd b3a6 a34b0060a493

Eagle putt back pin.

replay.aspx?ID=9824e7b8 e3f5 4b9f 91ca a34b0061c8d5

Approach shot on forward pin.

replay.aspx?ID=84f420fb b70d 45ec bc50 a34d010bb4b1

Eagle putt forward pin.

replay.aspx?ID=54da07fc 06db 4d27 8d4b a34d010cbabc

The only way I can hold the green is with the level 90 Nike.  I usually use the level 48 or 61 Nike and have never held the green.  Sometimes it just barely rolls off, but it is off.

Even if I come up short, it ain't too bad.

replay.aspx?ID=b1489a14 7899 49d5 b8fd a34e0037058e

But with the level 48 or 61 I tend to just go right.  I've holed that shot.  Don't think I have a replay though.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Mon, Aug 4 2014 12:13 AM

courteneyfish:

A member of my club got a double eagle there but personally I never go for the green. Just aim to land about 25 yards to the right and take a chance with a wedge.

Same here.  If I have a slight head wind and the pin is at the back I might have a go at getting on in 2 but the wind is critical, too much in the face and you can't get on in two, not enough and you can't get the ball to stick.

The L97 Nike irons help as I'm sure a top level ball would, the L33 Cally will just about stop but not reliably.   I play right of the geeen nearly every time and make birdie 90%+ with a very rare holed punch for eagle.

• PAGES
RSS