Forums

Help › Forums

Tier averages

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jul 31 2014 1:57 PM (3 replies)
  • jukeboxjoe
    1 Posts
    Thu, Jul 31 2014 9:27 AM

I was wondering what the average score is to move from each tier I am presently in level 103 and a Master but when I see people 25 -30 levels below I wonder if I am supposed to notify WGT or ask to upgrade to a new tier

I believe tier averages should be listed somewhere so that goal could be attempted by the players

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Thu, Jul 31 2014 9:33 AM

WGT does not publish the numbers and conditions - anti-something measures.

As a Master, you need a 63.00 average and 40 ranked rounds for promotion, Par3 and Par5 courses not counting.

Complete list available in the forum.

The level has nothing to do with it.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Thu, Jul 31 2014 1:53 PM

There are several older threads that have tier info. Like:

WGT – Tiers

• When you have played at least 5 ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 100 you go from Hack to Amateur.
    • When you have played at least 10  ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 80 you go from Amateur to Pro.
    • When you have played at least 20 ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 72 you go from Pro to Tour Pro
    • When you have played at least 30 ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 67 you go from Tour Pro to Master
    • When you have played at least 40  ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 63 you go from Master to Tour Master
    • When you have played at least 50 ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 61 you go from Tour Master to Legend 
    • When you have played at least 500  ranked rounds - and your average score is equal to or lower than 60 you go from Legend  to Tour Legend

Notice that those minimal number of ranked rounds are also the number of best rounds used to compute your average in that particular tier. So if you are Tour Master for example, your average is computed with your best 50 ranked round (that's why you need at least 50 rounds to move up). Also – to thwart players who purposely shoot high scores so they don’t ‘tier up’, WGT will adjust scoring average based on Match Play and similar game type wins.

WGTadmin:

We use an algorithm to determine when a player is eligible to move to a new tier, which takes into account a number of factors including number of ranked games played.  These numbers scale by tier, so it's necessary to shoot a lower average to advance and to play more games to reach higher tiers.  For example, when you reach Tour Master, you will need to play a larger number of ranked rounds than you had as a Master, maintaining a low average, to tier up to Legend.

Additionally, in response to WGT player feedback about sandbagging (misrepresenting one's true ability to gain advantage by playing at a lower tier from closer tee boxes), WGT is using more than just ranked stroke play scores to determine each player's average score and appropriate tier ranking.

For obvious reasons, WGT is not sharing exact details of these changes, but they include factoring in scores from players who perform well in tournaments and challenge games for credits. We still encourage the community's feedback on Sandbagging, but believe this is an important step to reducing the practice and keeping the game fair.

Finally, most of our top players have posted close estimates for players to try to gauge their progress in advancing tiers. Here is a good thread to read:

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/9085/707139.aspx#707139

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Thu, Jul 31 2014 1:57 PM

ApexPC:

• When you have played at least 30 ranked rounds [...] you go from Tour Pro to Master
  • Excuse me - I still doubt this number. Edward confirmed my estimate of 25 today.

RSS