Forums

Help › Forums

Practice Putts

Thu, Jul 24 2014 10:01 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • MukilteoMike1
    43 Posts
    Tue, Jul 22 2014 11:31 PM

It's my understanding that putts do not count as hits on purchased balls.  Is this true when you do mulligan putts during practice rounds?  When I redo the putt, it says -2 above the hit bar.  Is that saying it's taking 2 hits off my ball? 

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Tue, Jul 22 2014 11:46 PM

MukilteoMike1:

When I redo the putt, it says -2 above the hit bar.  Is that saying it's taking 2 hits off my ball? 

Correct, any mulligan takes 2 hits off the ball.

• MukilteoMike1
    43 Posts
    Wed, Jul 23 2014 12:56 AM

Thanks for the info.  I guess I'll have to practice with the generic balls then. 

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Wed, Jul 23 2014 1:41 AM

MukilteoMike1:

Thanks for the info.  I guess I'll have to practice with the generic balls then. 

I usually do that, as well, but also, if I try for a special ranked round (or a certain tourny) I might practice once or twice on that course w/ the proshop ball I'm going to use. I may lose some hits but that is the price I pay. Yet I'll learn how to apply that ball's characteristics.

As you already know, the gameplay w/ a starter ball will be entirely different from the techniques & methods applied when using a proshop ball.

It's a fun and tactical process and I really enjoy it.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Thu, Jul 24 2014 5:11 AM

JFidanza:

As you already know, the gameplay w/ a starter ball will be entirely different from the techniques & methods applied when using a proshop ball.

That's very true.  Playing practice rounds with gear other than that you use for real rounds won't really benefit you much as the shots will turn out differently with your usual gear.

I've never played practice rounds, I figure every shot may as well be counted.

And can you imagine how annoying it must be to make a hole in one or double eagle in practice mode and not have it count?

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Thu, Jul 24 2014 5:42 AM

I can understand from the fairway,but on the green (practice putting) wouldn't the starter ball react the same? I`m just asking

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jul 24 2014 5:48 AM

DonCaron:

I can understand from the fairway,but on the green (practice putting) wouldn't the starter ball react the same? I`m just asking

Yes, it does. 

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Thu, Jul 24 2014 6:53 AM

YankeeJim:

DonCaron:

Yes, it does. 

+1 When putting ball type doesnt matter . They all putt the same . I always use the starter ball for practice rounds . I have found that if I can hit quality shots with the rock , then better shots will come with a better ball . Also practice rounds are for learning ball placement , shot techniques , and better course management . You will also learn your clubs as well . So practice with the free ball its cheaper , and you will learn a great deal about this game by doing so .

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Thu, Jul 24 2014 7:53 AM

Thank You for the responses

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jul 24 2014 7:59 AM

lonniescott711:
    You will also learn your clubs as well . So practice with the free ball its cheaper

Respectfully disagree here, Lonnie. It may be cheaper but the ball makes a big difference in carry and this is the first thing one needs to learn about their clubs. I personally can't see any advantage to practicing with starter balls. Even putting with them makes you adjust to a faster meter first.

IMO, saving a few credits by practicing with a starter ball is tantamount to being penny-wise and pound-foolish. Practice with what you use and learn it inside and out.  :-)

• PAGES
RSS