rated by 0 users
Tue, Aug 12 2014 7:05 AM (21 replies)
  • craigswan
    30,973 Posts
    Tue, Jul 22 2014 2:39 PM

• craigswan
    30,973 Posts
    Tue, Jul 22 2014 2:47 PM

Been going to the states for many years but this is the first time I have been bitten unmercifully by the little blighters .Have 20 blisters all over my legs . All the treatments do not work - calamine, vick , Listerine . The one that does work is a scalding hot shower and then spray with deet . Or swimming in a pool with chlorine .

This time last week I had never heard of chiggers but a week is a long time in itching time .

• ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Tue, Jul 22 2014 3:03 PM

How to Treat Chigger Bites

It can take anywhere from one to three weeks for chigger bites to heal. In the meantime, try to avoid scratching, as this can cause infection. You may use over-the-counter anti-itch medications like hydrocortisone or calamine lotion. You can also apply ice to the bites to relieve itch. Avoid very hot baths and showers. If you become infected or symptoms don’t improve, see your doctor. It is a common misperception that chiggers burrow under the skin. They do not, so there is no need to try to remove them.

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Tue, Jul 22 2014 3:10 PM

I know this may sound odd, or nasty, but when peeing, put a wad a toilet paper in the stream for a second , then, dab, not wipe, the bites (and don't dry it off, let it dry itself since it only dabbed on). They will not itch, and will go away in a day, or so. Your own urine will heal burns, bites, cuts, etc.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Jul 22 2014 3:16 PM

Out of interest I google imaged 'chiggers', not my smartest move, I've got the heebie-jeebies now.

Mom, where's blanky?

• filmslayer
    2,340 Posts
    Tue, Jul 22 2014 3:17 PM

clear nail polish over every one of them . it suffocates them ... ya have to do it twice . they borrow in and lay eggs , wait till they hatch ...   

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Jul 22 2014 3:25 PM

filmslayer:

clear nail polish over every one of them . it suffocates them ... ya have to do it twice . they borrow in and lay eggs , wait till they hatch ...   

Woah too far film guy, this is turning into my nightmares.

Mom , I need Blanky, warm milk and a fistful o' valium.

• filmslayer
    2,340 Posts
    Tue, Jul 22 2014 3:29 PM

Craig , i live in FL and have had these three times . get clear nail polish paint it on thick and let dry for as long as you can stand it . when ya pull it off you'll see the lil buzzterd ...pant it again !!! there is eggs fixin to hatch .... good luck , they suck !

• opyeuclid
    6,706 Posts
    Tue, Jul 22 2014 3:50 PM

The Pee thing does work , But it has to be a Female , They have something called XtraGin ,

Just go to your local Pub and hang around the Ladies room , Drop your pants and ask if they would Pee on you . 

OPY

• tramilleo
    1,869 Posts
    Tue, Jul 22 2014 3:50 PM

LOOKS  bad but bed bugs are even worse, very nasty lil buggers that can live without feeding up to a year lol

the clear nail polish solution is a very very good one as it suffocates them :)

RSS