Forums

Help › Forums

Shrinking Meter Backswing Ding-Bars Broken?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jul 29 2014 1:02 PM (31 replies)
  • PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Mon, Jul 21 2014 2:50 PM

I wish I had a video of this... as it's gonna be hard to explain.

When my swing reaches its 'apex', the bars on opposite sides of the 'ding line' are supposed to shrink inwards... towards the ding line, right? 

This is supposed to decrease the likelihood of hitting 'a perfect shot', IIRC.

Well... when I play, the 'shrinking in' starts briefly, then stops... the shrinking bars only moving a couple of pixels. This has been happening a lot more lately.

It happens mostly during my CTTH rounds. And most times, during strokeplay, the bars NEVER move at all with the woods and irons! While using the putter, it works as it should... shrinking down to equal distances from each side of the ding line, and stopping.

Even though the 'display' of this movement  is stopping, I think it may still be working, however invisibly (depending on how long I wait to stop my backswing).

This makes it difficult to gauge the accuracy of my swings.

Have others noticed this 'anomaly'?

Any thoughts? Any links to this being previously discussed? 

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Mon, Jul 21 2014 2:53 PM

PugsAce:
    Any thoughts? Any links to this being previously discussed? 

This is a new thing to me.

Try to clear browser and Flash caches, or re-install Flash.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Mon, Jul 21 2014 3:15 PM

I've done all the caches and have updated my Flash... well... it was on auto-update, and did it itself actually... never tried to actually 're-install Flash'... no clue how I'd do that.

I did some further searching, and found that others are calling these bars 'forgiveness' or 'error' bars. It seems that others have noticed this lack of movement since sometime back in 2011.

I'd rather SEE the bars moving if indeed they are moving 'behind a veil', than NOT SEE them moving.

They 'jerk' inward momentarily, after holding the backswing for about 5 seconds, then they stop.

Thx for the reply, al.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Mon, Jul 21 2014 3:46 PM

PugsAce:
    hey 'jerk' inward momentarily, after holding the backswing for about 5 seconds, then they stop.

Still doing it for me.   Weird

• ScottHope
    10,091 Posts
    Mon, Jul 21 2014 3:53 PM

You will notice these bars move in and out from the centre line as you increase and decrease power.

At maximum power these lines are at their closest to the centre line and will not move any closer, irrespective of how long you hold the shot before releasing the swing.

At any power lower than maximum these lines will start to move closer to the centre line after a preset time of holding the shot before release. The lines will then move closer to the centre line if the shot continues to be held. The lines will stop, if the shot is held long enough, at a point which is at the same position as when maximum power is applied.

Hope that all makes sense.

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Mon, Jul 21 2014 6:02 PM

Yeah, Scott... I understand what you're saying... but here's the rub...

My lines only move a pixel or two, then stop completely... as if there's been some sort of interruption.

My main concern, therefore is, are they actually moving (decreasing my "forgiveness") without me being able to actually see that this is happening? Or is my actual forgiveness being frozen where the lines settle?

I dunno... it could be a display problem with my 'puter setup (graphics card, ISP connection, running services... ) or if it is a widespread thing, maybe it's a flash issue within the game.

I would think that successful shots in golf... real or virtual... rely heavily on the ability to consistently set up the mechanics of a swing. This 'enigma' with the forgiveness bars is just making it more difficult to get any repeat-ability.

My swing groove is more like a swing rut.  lol

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Mon, Jul 21 2014 6:07 PM

hpurey:
    Still doing it for me.   Weird

Haze, you're still getting the 'jerk', or still getting the regular decreasing bars?

• WGTadmin2
    1,152 Posts
    Mon, Jul 21 2014 6:22 PM

Thanks for the report.

It would help if you would let us know what specific clubs this is happening on?  Is it your whole bag?

• PugsAce
    1,825 Posts
    Mon, Jul 21 2014 6:25 PM

WGTadmin2:
    It would help if you would let us know what specific clubs this is happening on?  Is it your whole bag?

Yes.

All the clubs except the putter.

RSS