Forums

Help › Forums

Putting Math (not for the faint of heart)

Wed, Aug 27 2014 2:47 AM (74 replies)
  • fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Tue, Aug 5 2014 10:02 AM

example: Congressional #10, when I hit it too long up on the hill behind the pin and it doesn't come down you have a 26-33 ft putt 12-13 down most of the time...

I aim 1 1/2 grid blocks left of hole and hit it at 6ft-7ft and it is actually an easier putt that most 9-10 putts left of the hole... under 29 hit 6ft, 29 over 7ft, doesn't matter if it is 26,27,28,29, for 6...or 29-33 for 7 it still gets there and that is about 60% of what the formula for champ greens tells you to hit it(or X .4 instead of .65)...I make it a lot more than I miss it, and if I do miss it usually burns the edge of the cup....all from hitting that putt over and over again, no formula for a putt you can hit the same speed with that much difference in distance...you can do it at 6-7ft because it's slightly downhill all the way, try that on another green that's 14 ft to the downslope and you'll never get there...feel gentlemen!

If your a legend and haven't hit a practice putt from every angle on every on every green your not trying hard enough...

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Tue, Aug 5 2014 12:12 PM

pdb1:

After watching dozens of videos over and over and not getting it . The method you just mentioned and a few of tekoma's  methods are what I try to use . I am getting very close . Probably 95% of my birdie putts are lippers . but I cant get them to drop . I am not feeling whole exact combinatiom of speed , distance , break that I can line up. At this point it is only a guess .

Because your not focusing, I use Tekomas method because it works and it is quick, it works but with a small adjustment here/there...for example Teks method is exact on some courses, but on Congr. Kiwiah, and a couple others you have to adjust...at congr you have to hit into the break a quarter inch or more if the dots are moving a little faster and on long putts, if the dots are slow on short and medium putts you ding it, same with Kiwiah except you still have to offding on medium putts too...and hit them firm(if the formula says 7ft hit it at 7.5/8 ft....

There are times when I try to concentrate on the practice mode . I find it very frustrating . Not getting results or becoming enlightened . Sometimes seemingly taking two steps backwards .

Playing ranked or scored matches in stroke , match, alt shot ,mp's , C.C. are all practice even if they do count .

There are different ways to practice, I don't use practice mode either...

I played weekly unlimiteds..I play #1, and try to hit the approach to various areas of the green...then add #2 and do the same thing...then #3, then etc...if I was -5 after 5 I would still restart until I had noted which area on every hole was the easiest putt, then go for the score...I used to do well in the weekly unlimiteds, but recently my problem is easy straight putts inside of 7-8 ft...

I get in a hurry and hit early(pull) on a few, then my last swing thought was "DO NOT HIT EARLY AT ANY COST", so I hit late(pushed)...did this until my mind was so screwed up I made harder longer putts but couldn't make a short straight putt 50% of the time so I'm taking a break...

With any game or sport you can have fun and reach a high level, everyones max is different, but at some point you peak and to get better requires hard work with extra attention given to even the simple details which requires a LOT MORE FOCUS on the task at hand...top players obviously can and have, but it takes a long time for most...some just can't get there..

If your really and truly just guessing then your not focused because there is a solution somewhere in your memory bank if you have put in the effort..

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Tue, Aug 5 2014 4:08 PM

this formula/style will help you read the dots...very slow at 1st but after a while you do it pretty fast, it helps with Teks style too..when i can't see the aiming point with teks I still use this...

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/99536.aspx

• PBaldwin
    108 Posts
    Tue, Aug 5 2014 5:12 PM

fatdan:

this formula/style will help you read the dots...very slow at 1st but after a while you do it pretty fast, it helps with Teks style too..when i can't see the aiming point with teks I still use this...

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/99536.aspx

I used that for a few weeks about a year ago and it made me worse.  After I started putting normally though it made me better.  Probably made me notice details more.

I then started using the miss ding putting method as I am terrible at dinging.  I left and came back 2 months ago after almost a year break.  I came back with the same miss ding method and found a way to ding putts better.  I started using only the 60ft and 100ft scale to ding more putts and have transferred to ding putting.  Somehow it's easier to ding on the bigger scales.  It's a little bit harder to get the distance spot on though with a pixel making a 1-2 foot difference.

• PBaldwin
    108 Posts
    Tue, Aug 5 2014 5:19 PM

fatdan:

If your a legend and haven't hit a practice putt from every angle on every on every green your not trying hard enough...

Never done it.  Never will(well for now).  I do ranked rounds and ready goes, brackets, or whatever else there is to learn how to putt.

As far as club maps and figuring out wind calculations that's my biggest concern.  That's a big thing I'm currently working on.  Can't stand being 5-8 yards short/long on dings consistently because my wind calculations suck.  Makes it tough to score good because I usually have at least 1 awful miss ding a round.

I spent like 2 packs of balls today realizing how bad my calculations are using mulligans.  5-10 yards short/long consistently on some shots is pathetic for someone about to hit Tour Legend.  So confused on how to fix it.

RSS