Forums

Help › Forums

Calculation of Average Score

rated by 0 users
Mon, May 11 2020 10:09 AM (9 replies)
  • joetortoise
    1,260 Posts
    Mon, Jun 23 2014 4:40 PM

I am a new player on WGT and have reached level 55 and Tour Pro status.  I am in no hurry to make Master status until I actually improve, so I have been trying to figure out how WGT counts rounds and calculates average scores for tier advancement.

I looked at past posts in the Forums and learned that 9 hole rounds apparently count as full rounds.  I did not learn, however, whether tournament rounds at a lower tier (after advancement) count also.  I downloaded my scores from their history and tried to calculate my average.  Needless to say I could not do it.  I eliminated par 3 and par 5 courses, doubled 9 hole totals, included (or not) tournament rounds at Pro level, and tried all of the other possibilities that I could think of, with no success.  I was not able to get within a stroke of WGT's calculated average score, and I don't know how many rounds they have counted for me at Tour Pro level.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to find or calculate what they have done?

• WGTadmin
    1,166 Posts
    Mon, Jun 23 2014 6:48 PM

We use an algorithm to determine when a player is eligible to move to a new tier, which takes into account a number of factors including number of ranked games played.  These numbers scale by tier, so it's necessary to shoot a lower average to advance and to play more games to reach higher tiers.  For example, when you reach Tour Master, you will need to play a larger number of ranked rounds than you had as a Master, maintaining a low average, to tier up to Legend.

Additionally, in response to WGT player feedback about sandbagging (misrepresenting one's true ability to gain advantage by playing at a lower tier from closer tee boxes), WGT is using more than just ranked stroke play scores to determine each player's average score and appropriate tier ranking.

For obvious reasons, WGT is not sharing exact details of these changes, but they include factoring in scores from players who perform well in tournaments and challenge games for credits. We still encourage the community's feedback on Sandbagging, but believe this is an important step to reducing the practice and keeping the game fair.

Finally, most of our top players have posted close estimates for players to try to gauge their progress in advancing tiers. Here is a good thread to read:

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/9085/707139.aspx#707139

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Mon, Jun 23 2014 9:08 PM
    9 hole and 18 holes games both count as one round. I found with this game it's better to ignore the average and just play for fun. Tiering up is the way to get better as you get new challenges.
  • joetortoise
    1,260 Posts
    Mon, Jun 23 2014 10:09 PM

I'm not trying to control my tier level, as that is ultimately futile.  If you try to keep your average up and your tier down, it might work for a tournament or match or two, but sooner or later you will advance once you shoot enough low (presumably winning) scores.  That simply isn't in my nature--I'm too old and too honest to play games like that.

I'm very familiar with sandbaggers from my decades of league bowling, and I detest them.  My interest in average score comes more from curiosity and an incurable analytic nature.  I agree with you that having fun and improving are the ultimate purposes of this game.  I am having fun, and I am learning how to play.  I may never be a Legend, but I will certainly enjoy myself along the way.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Mon, Jun 23 2014 11:37 PM

Joe,

first of all, Courteney is right: Don't worry about the average, just have fun in playing!

That said, I can't calculate your average either though I'm quite good at it.

Scores from 6-11 on count in, when you were promoted. Fortunately, we need not know about the scores from that date because they are too high. Exclude the Criquet Cup (Par3) and the Par5, double the 9-holers, sort by score - a nice row of 32 scores from 64 to 76, starting 6-12.

Your average should be saturated by now.

The best 25 scores are 69.16 in average, (best 30 = 70). Furtheron, no number at all would justify 69.60 from your profile.

You played no matches until now, I see no credit wins -and they would drop the average, not raise it.

=>> An unpredicted result!

• MFKN
    7 Posts
    Thu, Jan 28 2016 11:18 AM

How many scores do you use to calculate the average.  I just copied my entire available score history and pasted to a spreadsheet and averaged the scores listed.  If I don't adjust the 9 hole scores to 18 by doubling them, then I come up with about 7 strokes less than WGT says my average is.  If I double all of my 9 hole scores (i.e. 33's become 66's) I come up with an average about 4 strokes higher than the average WGT lists for my player.  Just wondering if you use only the last 50 or 30 or something like that.  I tried a bunch of different ways and couldn't get closer than a stroke higher than WGT say my average is.  Please reply and explain this, if possible.  

• WGTdbloshoe
    2,840 Posts
    Thu, Jan 28 2016 12:30 PM

MFKN:

How many scores do you use to calculate the average.  I just copied my entire available score history and pasted to a spreadsheet and averaged the scores listed.  If I don't adjust the 9 hole scores to 18 by doubling them, then I come up with about 7 strokes less than WGT says my average is.  If I double all of my 9 hole scores (i.e. 33's become 66's) I come up with an average about 4 strokes higher than the average WGT lists for my player.  Just wondering if you use only the last 50 or 30 or something like that.  I tried a bunch of different ways and couldn't get closer than a stroke higher than WGT say my average is.  Please reply and explain this, if possible.  

We only use the scores in your current tier to calculate your current scoring average.  We also have a saturation point that limits your score from ballooning.  This is done so player can't artificially increase their score.  Just from a quick look at your scores it doesn't seem that far off.

- WGTdbloshoe

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Thu, Jan 28 2016 12:53 PM

MFKN:
    How many scores do you use to calculate the average.

The best 40 scores as a Master, 50 as a Tour Master.

Beware that Par3 and Par5 courses don't count in.

• rlowvaughn
    7 Posts
    Mon, May 11 2020 7:41 AM

Is a players scoring average not changed if they play in a coutry club stroke play tournament that they created? For example if I create a normal stroke plat tourney in my country club and play in the tournament would my scoring average not be affected? I would assue that would be the case so players couldn't create easy scoring conditions for that suited their game.  

• MarchieB
    1,524 Posts
    Mon, May 11 2020 10:09 AM

rlowvaughn:
    Is a players scoring average not changed if they play in a country club stroke play tournament that they created? ... I would assue that would be the case so players couldn't create easy scoring conditions for that suited their game.   

All Country Club tournaments played count towards your AVG except for the same ones that normally don't count (par 3, Par5) as well as any Custom CC rounds.

So YES you can create special "Easy" rounds in a CC by setting up with low wind, avg greens, easy pins, and red tees to get lower scores that help to lower your AVG. They usually have names like "AVG buster" or  "Handicap Helper" and can significantly help you lower your AVG. But IMHO it's a false AVG and you aren't really helping yourself out by playing in manipulated Easy rounds ... you're only hurting yourself.

RSS