Forums

Help › Forums

Tracking down disconnects/crashes

Sun, Sep 10 2023 6:38 PM (475 replies)
  • PhiEaglesFan
    617 Posts
    Mon, Mar 28 2016 10:56 PM

borntobesting:
    They no longer use Neutron 4.0 but rather Photon cloud. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

It's just the "next generation" of platform.  WGT contracted with Exit Games(EG) in 2007, when mobile users were not even a drop in the bucket.  As mobile usage slowly increased over the next 7-8 years, it stands to reason that EG was tacking on mobile-compatible functionality to their existing framework.

Fast-forward 2016, you've got at minimum a 9-year old code base that wasn't really designed to support mobile.  At least, not on such a large scale.  By now that original code base has been supplemented with all kinds of mobile-supporting hacks and quirky, ugly code that only exists to be functional, but not efficient.

Once you do that so much that it can be difficult to maintain the code, read the code, or remember all of the "quirks" to keep it running and compiling.  Spaghettified code is a dev's worst nightmare.  It's kinda like having an old car, and having to do "the trick" because that's the only way it would start.  You gotta stroke the code base just the right way too, or it'll flip sh*t on you.

I imagine a few years before the mobile explosion in 2013/2014 someone at EG decided it was time to write some new software that was designed specifically to accommodate the new generation of mobile platforms (in addition to legacy platforms) rather than continue to throw new mobile hacks at an older framework that wasn't designed to support it. 

Essentially Exit Games is saying, "hey, we've got everything here to support your multi-player game development on any platform, you don't even have to go looking for the integration tools yourself we have it all here AND we'll host for you in our cloud.  You can make the check out to Fred in accounting."

This was likely a planned move by WGT to develop and then drop the app at the same time Exit switched their framework to better support the litany of mobile devices.

In terms of effects on us it should be a net positive.  A better, cleaner, more efficient codebase utilizing all the latest and greatest libraries should result in better play (read: lesser disconnections) for just about everyone.  Everything about multiplayer gaming has improved greatly since 2007.  Mobile is still fresh and people are still figuring out how to do things better with a single all-inclusive solution.

In 2007, the world was introduced to the first iPhone.  Look at it now.  Imagine trying to hack the original code of that iPhone to bring it up to speed with 2016.  This is why your older phones and tablets get bricked after an OS update.  Maintaining backwards-compatibility when the technology is growing faster than you can develop for it is difficult to say the least.

• Breezybaby1811
    366 Posts
    Tue, Mar 29 2016 4:28 AM

In all honesty, WGT, if you can't fix the disconnection error that happens in multi player games, how about removing the number of times you can disconnect to unlimited at least then we can get the games finished.   Sent bug reports way too many times, the pages in this thread should confirm to you there is an error.  If you are still doubtful, come out on a game with us, we can show you.  Please don't tell me about clearing my cache etc.  I am very computer literate, learnt from an expert.  Just do something.. please

• pierolitfiba
    6,844 Posts
    Thu, Mar 31 2016 4:06 PM

March 31

Blue screen increase for me in multiplayers stroke and alternate.

With 2 disconnection is impossible play alternate game.

bye

Carlo

• fishnchip31
    256 Posts
    Fri, Apr 1 2016 6:17 PM

Same with me...playing a 3 man skins game.  one of the other players gets hit with the chronic disconnect problem...we get sent back to the lobby and await his return...he reconnects, and we get sent to the game screen, but when I get there, I have a blue screen.  I refresh (F5) the game screen, then finally get back to the 3-some.  Happens every time, and I'm not the player that had the original disconnect.  Very frustrating, to say the least, when it happens every game.

Java 11.77.2

Shockwave Flash 21.0 r0

Win10

Mozilla FireFox

• JohnACecil2
    373 Posts
    Thu, Apr 7 2016 8:54 PM

Consistent Blue Screen in Alt Shot.

Please fix very soon. 

• tomab
    517 Posts
    Mon, Apr 11 2016 2:50 PM

Its not always a WGT problem when someone loose contact. From time to time the internet is the sinner. If a player temporary loose contact to internet - its it. And sometimes its a players pc that is the problem.

BUT what frustrates me a lot is that when a game crashes and we have played with a pass we also loose the pass and points for our CC.
    This happens 1-2 times every week. And I have very good net here.
    In individual games with 4 players the normal situation is we end up at #9 with 2-3 players. Sometimes I also end up alone, but finish to earn XPs to the CC. But as mentioned, some crashes really crash the game for all players and take avay our passes too.

If it was possible to fix it so we have our passes it would be less frustrating

Tom.

• mymanpayne
    6,136 Posts
    Mon, Apr 11 2016 11:25 PM

So, after the free rental period expired, I went to replace them with my usual wedges. After putting them in their place, the save changes light doesn't come on, and i can't get my old wedges back in the bag. How do I fix this situation!

• Syxguns
    178 Posts
    Tue, Apr 12 2016 9:15 AM

mymanpayne:
    So, after the free rental period expired, I went to replace them with my usual wedges. After putting them in their place, the save changes light doesn't come on, and i can't get my old wedges back in the bag. How do I fix this situation!

A little bit of a pain, but first on the equipment screen select bags, then remove the check mark from the equipped bag.  Then equip the bag again, and you will have to reset the clubs and balls for the bag.

RSS