Help › Forums

Math quiz for any Canadian that wins the virtual U.S. Open

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jun 23 2009 6:43 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • NASAgolfer
    96 Posts
    Thu, Jun 4 2009 5:26 PM

Taken from the rules for the Virtual U.S. Open...

Winner Selection and Notification.

SWEEPSTAKES WINNER SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION.  Winner of the Sweepstakes will be determined by a random drawing from all eligible entries received, to be held at Sponsor’s address listed in Paragraph 1, on or about July 15, 2009.

The judging will be conducted by Sponsor or its designee, the judge of the Sweepstakes, whose decisions are final and binding. Potential Sweepstakes winner will be notified on or about July 15, 2009 by an email sent to the email address specified in the entry and posted on the World Golf Tour website. If potential Sweepstakes winner cannot be contacted at this email, is contacted and does not respond as directed within seven (7) days of attempted notification, refuses the prize is ineligible to accept the prize or does not otherwise comply with these Official Rules, the prize may be forfeited and awarded to an alternate winner. Any Canadian potential winner must also correctly answer a mathematical skill-based question administered by the Sponsor in order to claim prize.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Thu, Jun 4 2009 5:30 PM

Wait, I know why that is.  In some countries you cannot just give away a prize like this.  In order for it to be legal, it has to be won academically, thus the question is required.

I guarantee you the question is 2 plus 2. :)

*edit*   Here we go...

http://contests.about.com/od/sweepstakes101/f/caskillquestion.htm

For the rest of the international crew, this is exactly the reason why not all countries are eligible to play all tournaments yet.  If Canada has a regulation like this, who knows what other countries have! :)

• NASAgolfer
    96 Posts
    Thu, Jun 4 2009 5:53 PM

Thanks nivlac,

I never knew that law.

Your link states that you have 5 minutes to answer and you can't use a calculator.

The pressure never ends...

1,644 Posts
    Fri, Jun 5 2009 5:28 AM

I'm sweating already!!!  Sheesh!

=)

• NASAgolfer
    96 Posts
    Fri, Jun 5 2009 10:44 AM

Put your clubs away for awhile... you've got two weeks to cram for the exam. 

Should you win , your arch nemesis has volunteered to ask the mathematical question    :^)

• WaterTrap
    95 Posts
    Tue, Jun 9 2009 2:39 PM

Usually these competitions do not apply to Quebec.

Even when you win a big mac at McD's  you have to do the little math question on the back.  Does not apply to sactioned lotteries.

• lilrob88
    870 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2009 6:17 PM

This is why mike weir is scared to win golf tournaments.......hes scared of the math quiz after the tournament.

• ShaunMcClarty
    270 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2009 6:26 PM

Wait, so AvatarLee, do you have to answer questions for like your play with Parker prize or anything like that?

1,644 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2009 6:49 PM

No, the Play with Parker and the Visit Wolf Creek were skill based competitions already, this rule only applies to sweepstakes winners (randomly drawn)

• ShaunMcClarty
    270 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2009 6:52 PM

oh ok. Thats what was making me wonder. That does make a little more sense, but still seems kinda stupid. Why can't people win contests randomly? If anything, wouldnt that be good, since those values are subject to income tax?

• PAGES
RSS