Forums

Help › Forums

Slow Yer Roll WGT.

rated by 0 users
Fri, Sep 5 2014 3:36 PM (38 replies)
  • JamesSnow1
    137 Posts
    Wed, Jun 11 2014 1:38 PM

It's getting nearly impossible to get through a game on WGT, especially during peak hours.

Now you're throwing Ads all-over the place... slowing the game even more.

The "WGT Experience" is getting 'unpleasurable' and downright frustrating.  What gives? Me (a regular paying customer),... or WGT?

James.

• ShadyShank
    629 Posts
    Thu, Jun 12 2014 7:58 AM

JamesSnow1:
    The "WGT Experience" is getting 'unpleasurable' and downright frustrating.

The past few weeks I could not agree more and have thought the very same. I've been at TM over a month now, and there is really no difference from M to TM, except that I've not strung together more terrible scores in a row since joining the site. In fact, I just WD from 3 paid tournaments in a row, and I don't WD easily, and never have I done that.

Thanks to the excellent work done to the greens and putts, I had 3 dbl bogies in two of those rounds, and have only sprinkled a few here and there the past few months. Now, all of a sudden, it's more common to do than birdie. I'm not missing my shots to have this happen, it's putting on these 'new & improved' greens that have led to such horrid scores.

And please, save the learn how to putt replies for now. Not sure how I may react to that and as frustrated as I am I still don't want a suspension over losing my cool. That's just not cool.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jun 12 2014 8:25 AM

ShadyShank:
    I've been at TM over a month now, and there is really no difference from M to TM

Yes, there is. The greens are faster but I'm not going to mention putting.  ;-)

ShadyShank:
    I just WD from 3 paid tournaments in a row

Then quit entering them until you get a handle on your new tier. In all the time I've been here, complaints about the game that new TMs make always get turned around after they've been in the tier for a while. A month is not a while. You might not think there's a difference from Master but your scores should convince you-there is. Wait until you're pushing to get under 61 so you can get into the Legend tier-you'll have a totally different take.

FWIW, you're totally wasting your credits on that Nike, IMO. You're at the driver/wedge stage and don't need what that ball has to offer. They hurt more when you miss them, too, and that might be part of your issues. The 33 Callaway is 200 less, has more than enough spin and distance AND it doesn't kill you when you miss the ding.

We've all been where you're at. Used to get aggravated by the same things. It goes away.  :-)

• JamesSnow1
    137 Posts
    Thu, Jun 12 2014 1:58 PM

Refer back to the topic of this thread.

I appreciate the plethora of algos WGT employs.  I understand the motivations.

The game gets more challenging as you go.  That's good!

What is hard to accept is the fact that WGT has not balanced the desire for any of us to have a 'smooth and relatively error-free' experience against other motivations.  

I do realize that many of these issues are a result of 'issues' on the customers' ends.

Perhaps, somebody might explain how some of the marketing and game tweaks we've all witnessed lately... have improved the Number 1 reason we are all here-

To Have Fun!

• ShadyShank
    629 Posts
    Fri, Jun 13 2014 7:51 AM

YankeeJim:
    you're totally wasting your credits on that Nike, IMO. You're at the driver/wedge stage and don't need what that ball has to offer. They hurt more when you miss them, too, and that might be part of your issues. The 33 Callaway

Funny you said that, as I was just looking at the Callaway you mentioned, as I try finding anything to get my game off tilt. My only concern is if I will still get the distance I feel is keeping me at Driver/Wedge, but it definitely can't hurt to buy a cheaper sleeve just to see, and I will be now. So, thanks for that.

As far as the greens though, when I was TP I met a great TL who helped me in many ways, but mostly with putting. We played almost every day and on Tournament & Champ greens, which is why I much prefer them to this day. I just don't see how the greens I played with him could be easier than the ones I play as TM. I also know, with the many variables, I could be wrong on that, but that's how I learned to putt, was on the hardest greens. So, not sure on that one.

As far as stopping the paid tournaments, it's just very odd to me that my 1st 2 weeks at TM I won several TM Brackets, placed in the top 10 in TM RG's about 10 times, and won something around 5000 credits. Then, supposedly, changes were made to the game and greens, and that's when my game went elsewhere and, except for a few decent rounds, it's as if this is my 1st week playing all over again.

That probably sounds like complaining but it isn't. It's more confusion and frustration and wanting an answer, which I understand you still may have provided me. Thanks again.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, Jun 13 2014 7:57 AM

ShadyShank:
    The 33 Callaway

Good advice from YJ.

ShadyShank:
    I could be wrong on that, but that's how I learned to putt, was on the hardest greens. So, not sure on that one.

See this thread.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jun 13 2014 8:04 AM

ShadyShank:
    My only concern is if I will still get the distance I feel is keeping me at Driver/Wedge,

I made Legend with a driver, 4 wedges and the Tour-SD ball. Zero issues on the driver/wedge game.

ShadyShank:
    it's just very odd to me that my 1st 2 weeks at TM I won several TM Brackets, placed in the top 10 in TM RG's about 10 times, and won something around 5000 credits. Then, supposedly, changes were made to the game and greens, and that's when my game went elsewhere

I saw the exact same thing when I went from Legend to TL. Was even warned it might happen by another TL. At the end of the Legend run I was owning everything. 25 at BPB where 26 was almost automatic. Won several weeklies, one with a 26 at Cabo, and over 30 anywhere was rare. Just plain brutalized everything.

For the first few weeks as a TL there wasn't much change. The scores weren't as low but not like they are today. Then I thought I went into a slump because it was like you are seeing now. All of a sudden I have to think about the shots and the scoring got more difficult. 

IMO, and this is strictly mine and not meant to turn this into a VEM thing, I believe this is the way VEM was designed to work. The game didn't change, your "VEM profile" changed. The game's adjusting to you getting better and making it harder for you to get the same results. It forces you to be better. That's why I said earlier I think your take will change when you get close to Legend and find out how hard it can get.  :-)

• ShadyShank
    629 Posts
    Tue, Jul 1 2014 2:14 PM

YankeeJim:
    The game's adjusting to you getting better and making it harder for you to get the same results. It forces you to be better. That's why I said earlier I think your take will change when you get close to Legend and find out how hard it can get.  :-)

This I fully agree with, and would be shocked if it were not the case, simply based on my personal experiences since entering TM Tier. However, there are other ways to become a better player without some program screwing up an entire round for you, and costing you credits often times.

No matter the sport or game, I have always sought out ppl to play who are better than me to improve my game. Lv of competition goes up, your game should also, eventually. I've mentioned learning to putt here on Champ and Tournament greens playing each day with a TL. So, y throw a program in the mix that you have zero control over that makes shots miss that should drop?

IMHO, it doesn't make you better at all. We already play on greens of all different speeds, at the whim of WGT, in any given round. That right there should be enough for anyone to become a better putter. If you are making ppl miss, thru a program, on putts otherwise made, I just don't c how this teaches them a thing?

IOW's, you have to adjust your putting style almost every different round you play in, so to add even another variable, and one that only serves to frustrate, seems to me to be of no use at all for improving ones play. Example, was -2 on 9 hole 100 credit tournament at BPB, 10 mins ago. On in regulation with 20 ft. dead str8 putt, which I dinged, but it somehow broke a good 6 inches to left of the hole. Missed the come back as well, which was an easier putt, and ended up even instead of -3.

How does that serve to make me better? Because next time I'll adjust for the same putt except the VEM won't affect it and I'll miss right. Solution- GET RID OF THAT PROGRAM THAT DOES NO ONE ANY GOOD, WGT. If a player can't improve with all the many tools and helpful ppl here, they should either delete their account, or just never play for credits.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jul 1 2014 5:04 PM

ShadyShank:
    How does that serve to make me better? Because next time I'll adjust for the same putt except the VEM won't affect it and I'll miss right. Solution- GET RID OF THAT PROGRAM THAT DOES NO ONE ANY GOOD, WGT.

The mindset that there's a program that monitors your every putt and decides when to let it drop is not a good mindset to have. I can't speak to that ding miss you cited but I can speak to dings not dropping when I thought they should. It happens. I liken it to the size of the hole changing. I know it doesn't but the spot I have to hit does, can't be careless. My mindset.

You have to consider that in a game environment like this there has to be variables to keep it real. That's the way the real game is and that's the way it is here. Your variables are in the form of the circles of precision and deviation based on clubs and balls. Understand those and then you can play the odds game and improve your chances by manipulating your shots, like intentional smart missing. How you do this only comes from practice with the proper mindset.

There isn't a program directing your putts, there's a mind that is. ;-)

• ShadyShank
    629 Posts
    Sun, Jul 6 2014 7:11 PM

YankeeJim, as much as I respect your insight & knowledge of the game here, I have to disagree until it's shown, one way or the other if such a program exists. I do play miss hit putts because you have to. Often it's a split second decision because you know you hit it too hard, so u must adjust by missing the ding.

A program that could track players and their progress would not be difficult to write. And, when it notices an avg. dropping too quickly for the parameters it would have set, it would simply kick in for the player shooting too well and moving up tiers too fast for wgt's liking. I don't know if this VEM exists or not, but this week alone has been nothing but lips and stopping 2 inches from the cup on line for me. This is after taking your and Jimbog's advice on switching balls, and my avg. has been dropping steadily since then.

2 days ago, it should have easily dropped a point to a point and 1/2 after my 11 under on the front at St. A, followed by a 4 over on the back. In a TM RG I might add. That type of thing has happened plenty enough to make me think there is such a program in place. But, I'm not willing to say there is one for certain without hard proof.

I'll get better by playing better players, different green speeds, & courses, & the advice I get from guy's like you. I do not need anything else to make me better at this game. If anything, when it does happen, I stop playing just out of pure anger & frustration, so it's just more $$ wgt doesn't make. One thing I am sure of, putts that should drop that don't do absolutely nothing to make my game better. Maybe it does for others, but all it does for me is make me turn the game off.

RSS