Forums

Help › Forums

Tier progression

Mon, Jan 9 2023 3:50 PM (175 replies)
  • Vaibhav5viv
    886 Posts
    Sat, Oct 22 2016 9:36 PM

jsweetcr:
    Generally, WGT follows somewhere pretty close to the guidelines that Apex laid out, however, from TM and below, if you are placing high in RGs and earning  significant credits in them, as well as the weeklies and monthlies, WGT will bump you up before you hit those guidelines.

Thats not correct technically. You'd still have to reach those effective numbers to progress to next tier.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Sun, Oct 23 2016 12:23 AM

Vaibhav5viv:

jsweetcr:
     WGT will bump you up before you hit those guidelines.

Thats not correct technically. You'd still have to reach those effective numbers to progress to next tier.

Actually it is true.  i advanced fro Master to Tour Master after beating a brand new Legend in a Match Play round during a CC vs CC event at my club.  My average was around 63.3 at the time.  So i was close on that one.

I tiered up from Tour Master to Legend around September/October 2015 after winning 1 Weekly WGT Tournament and coming in 2nd (lost the tie breaker) in another, and took another 2nd place within about a 3 week span.

This was shortly after I took 3rd place in the 2015 Valhalla Tournament in August, 2015 in the Tour Master Tier..  And at the time my average was no where near 61 for Legend.  It was around 63 to 63.5.  

So it does happen, I'm sure it has happened to other also.  I'm just not sure how often.

phred952

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sun, Oct 23 2016 2:15 AM

From my memory:

When beating a Legend in Matchplay, your average may have dropped
    from 63.3 to 62.6.  -0.7 per win was the margin that I experienced then.

Credit wins are another beast. I didn't experience it, but from reports here, they may not be indicated in average changes but nevertheless result in tier-ups (at a higher ave.).

You should see it after tier-up, before you played your first round. In that state,
    new tier and old average are shown. The reset happens after the first new score.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Sun, Oct 23 2016 10:22 AM

alosso:

From my memory:

When beating a Legend in Matchplay, your average may have dropped
    from 63.3 to 62.6.  -0.7 per win was the margin that I experienced then.

Credit wins are another beast. I didn't experience it, but from reports here, they may not be indicated in average changes but nevertheless result in tier-ups (at a higher ave.).

You should see it after tier-up, before you played your first round. In that state,
    new tier and old average are shown. The reset happens after the first new score.

It certainly is possible that the MP win moved my average enough to drop below 63 resulting in the advance to TM.  I didn't play very much MP then.  It's strange how your memory plays tricks on you, so I looked at my awards section, both CTTH and Stroke play.  

The 3rd place Valhalla Challenge Sweeps Skills Challenge shows there and in the 2015 Virtual Tour Tournament Leaderboard (TM) results for that Tournament.  It ran the month of August, 2015.  I remember playing the last round as a new Legend, but had started it as aTour Master.

My WGT results were a 2nd (tied for first, lost on a tie breaker) for WK 33 free Multiround Best of Par 5, and a 2nd  WK 34 Nation Pinehurst 9 hole unlimited play Tournament.  I had just hit Level 90 and joined WGT Nation.  I remember the timing on that as I purchased the Rsi2 set.  Week 33 was August 10-16, and Week 34 was August 17-23, 2015. 

The win I was thinking of was actually 2 CC multiround Best of Par 5 Tournament wins.  I am the Tournament Director and I went back and looked at the time those 2 took place.  Both Finished on August 24, 2015. That was Week 35, August 24-30, 2016.   Being Par 5 there was no effect on average.

I remember getting the notice of my winnings for Valhalla Challenge and the Pinehurst Tournament, and then saw that I had been moved up to Legend also.  I'm sure my average was 63+, and I think it was 63.3. 

That's the best I can reconstruct from memory with the facts available.  I remember being surprised about the move to Legend, as i expected some more time as a TM.  Knowing it was coming I had started playing practice rounds from the car-park tees.  But i wonder how many of us tiered up feeling we were completely ready for the move?

phred952 

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sun, Oct 23 2016 10:30 AM

Excuse me for shortening the reply. This is because it's not the final position but the credits which have impact. So, any win without credits will not count in.

Here is most likely the reason for your promotion:

phred952:
    I remember getting the notice of my winnings for Valhalla Challenge and the Pinehurst Tournament, and then saw that I had been moved up to Legend also.  I'm sure my average was 63+, and I think it was 63.3. 

"Notice of winnings" is the moment when you are awarded the credits by WGT, and this seems to have a huge impact on the procedure.

I have no clue about the quantities, but VT distributes big credits, don't they?

• Vaibhav5viv
    886 Posts
    Sun, Oct 23 2016 11:49 AM

phred952:

Vaibhav5viv:

jsweetcr:
     WGT will bump you up before you hit those guidelines.

Actually it is true.  i advanced fro Master to Tour Master after beating a brand new Legend in a Match Play round during a CC vs CC event at my club.  My average was around 63.3 at the time.

Well I am aware of the situation you described. Hence, I pedantically added the word 'technically'.  

To break it down: The average displayed is a function of cumulative score and effective ranked rounds. What winning tourneys/awards and MP v higher tiers does is add to the effective rounds played wrt the cumulative score. Basically if u've played 10 RRs and have an avg 65, and then play an RG, shoot another 65 and win, ur avg drops to say ,63.5. For the system that would no longer mean you've played 11 effective RRs but instead a number a bit higher .

So under the hood , it always has to hit the required *** score + RR which is required if u just played simple RRs.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Sun, Oct 23 2016 12:51 PM

alosso:

"Notice of winnings" is the moment when you are awarded the credits by WGT, and this seems to have a huge impact on the procedure.

I have no clue about the quantities, but VT distributes big credits, don't they?

You are correct alosso (note little a).  There is that little statement in tournament results that says something like "results pending final verification of scores".  Or something similar.  That VT 3rd place finish as a TM  payed 3000 credits.  i haven't really played any RG's, or brackets with entryfees, so it was a big win for me.

• samppa454
    308 Posts
    Sun, Oct 30 2016 5:03 AM

I sky rocketed from Hack to Legend in around 2,5 months, but it took me 1 year and almost 10 months to promote to Tour Legend, which happened early this week. To those who have accused me for cheating and those who do not believe I can promote this quick, yes you can if you have talent and you play a lot. I used (and still use) several country club passes, which helped to boost EXP. Also, I play on avg a like 1-2 hrs a day and almost every day too. I think I was around lv. 60-65 (not really exactly sure, I remember that I played with some ping lv.58 equipment in Legend when I promoted) when I got to Legend so of course I could not really compete for good positions in the beginning. I still think it was good to promote early. I got a lot of experience of the greens and the tees and when I got to lv. 82-83 I bought the ping G25 club set. Then I played occassionally well in weekly and monthly events, but RG`s and VT were still very tough.

But last year, all changed, when I got to lv.90 and bought the expensive and excellent rsi2 irons, and then I dropped my hybrid for another wedge, 64 degree wedge to be precise. I have calculated my wins, I have 31 wins in total - 25 in RG`s, 6 in weekly, since August last year. Also I finished 7th and I was high European in VT Legend tier last quarter (Jul-Sep). I do not get added benefit from playing 2 or almost 3 times more expensive balls and the cheapness of cally chrome soft balls combined with my tournament performances have made me able to play kinda like "for free". All my wins I have used chrome softs and rsi2 irons. Still, I do know I am far away from the top players of this game, like for instance JoeMaverick or fmagnets (even though I have been lucky enough to beat both of them in ready-go events lol :D, but ofc more often than not I get beaten by them for sure).

Interesting to read different stories here of tier progression and the reasons behind it. I usually promoted after having the averages met, and winning higher tier players in match play helped me to get to Legend tier much more quick. Sandbagging is a big problem and cheating too, among all tiers of this game (I can remember two great players getting caught of this lately, both were German, one was Champion, the other dominated the Legend tier and later also the Tour Legend tier). I do not understand any form of cheating or sandbagging.

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Sun, Oct 30 2016 11:57 AM

samppa454:
    I sky rocketed from Hack to Legend in around 2,5 months, but it took me 1 year and almost 10 months to promote to Tour Legend, which happened early this week. To those who have accused me for cheating and those who do not believe I can promote this quick, yes you can if you have talent and you play a lot.

No offense, but it's really not all that difficult to get to legend that quickly. I also made it to legend in a similar amount of time. And I don't have that much talent.

Even so, congratulations on proceeding through the tiers as you have.  

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sun, Oct 30 2016 1:07 PM

samppa454:
    and cheating too, among all tiers of this game (I can remember two great players getting caught of this lately, both were German,

*sighs*

Proof or liar!

RSS