Help › Forums

#18 Congressional

Tue, Jan 10 2017 1:14 PM (41 replies)
  • ShadyShank
    629 Posts
    Sat, Jul 26 2014 8:27 PM

YankeeJim:
    How about it, SS? Curious myself.

Well, it was 2 months ago, but I'm 95% sure I used a 6 iron rated at 175 with the dot 3 points down from center and hit between 90-95% power. I think...

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Jul 27 2014 1:05 AM

Appreciate it was 2 months ago, but anyway assuming you were using a Nike ball and L85 irons:

90% - 95% power is a big difference and 90% would been struggling length wise.  Very rough as Nike balls vary with attributes, and I am not familiar enough with your irons.  Anyway all I can say really is that I find that hole plays consistently length wise and wind wise.  It's a big elevation drop, and so the ball is affected by wind for longer.  178 out with a 12 MPH I would have been a full 3 boxes over (playing for 15MPH), and been happy to miss just right too.  My L97 Nikes / L90 ball I would have set up a 6 iron FBS hitting 96% aiming to go 170 yards (what I made your shot after elevation drop).

In all honesty I get concerned when people use clubs rated yardages as a guide.  I am way more comfortable when some one says my 6 iron with Xball goes X in neutral low cross wind this exact spin setting x many times out of 10.  That's distance only though, but I have already addressed sideways travel apart from to maybe add that you said (sorry if I missed anything) you "aimed well right".  Not wishing to be a nit picker my question is what sideways movement do you usually get in a 12 wind and how far (exact boxes with exact club / ball combo at least if not spin used as well) do you usually need to aim away?

Again a while ago appreciated and I could have missed some information you already provided in the thread.  My though thought's fwiw..  

• ShadyShank
    629 Posts
    Sun, Jul 27 2014 10:16 PM

I would say I was 3-4 boxes to right of pin, it was 8-12 mph wind that was left to right, but not directly right. About half between str8 at you and str8 right. Pretty sure it was the L85 Nike Irons, and most likely a L71 Nike Ball. I missed the ding to the right by over an inch. It was one of those definite whiffs.

That's really all I can recall tho. Now, would you please tell me how to get my avg. to 61? I'm at 62.88 now and it feels like forever b4 I'll see 61. : )

• ShadyShank
    629 Posts
    Sun, Jul 27 2014 10:18 PM

Oh, and as far as how I play my shots, I would say I play half feel half precision. It just depends on the shot really. I probably go by feel more than anything though.

• TarheelsRule
    5,468 Posts
    Tue, Jul 29 2014 10:47 AM

Getting those last numbers off your average is tough, esp if you play a lot and have a large number out there.   In the Legend group you eventually get your average saturated and it only goes down, never up I don't know if the same is true of Tour Master.  If you think of having 500 rounds out there and having an average of 62.50, shooting a 60 doesn't generally do much for you, I noticed as I made my progression to TL, that when I was at 60.80 I could shoot 58 and move it to 60.79 so it is slow.

Good luck as you move to Legend in the near future.   

In terms of 18 at Congressional, I've dumped a few in that left water as well.   It seems to me that a wind from the right has much more effect on the ball than a wind moving from the left.  I have hit a number of shots right of the pin only to see the wind move them left and hit the bank and into the water.  On the other hand I have hit balls at the left side of the green, basically at the bank with a strong wind from the left and watched as it never moved to the right.

I also noticed that the Nike balls were used.  If you putt full b/s on them, they often seem to move much more than anticipated, not sure if this happened in this case but it definitely can happen.

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Tue, Jul 29 2014 11:19 AM

TarheelsRule:
    Getting those last numbers off your average is tough, esp if you play a lot and have a large number out there.   In the Legend group you eventually get your average saturated and it only goes down, never up I don't know if the same is true of Tour Master.  If you think of having 500 rounds out there and having an average of 62.50, shooting a 60 doesn't generally do much for you, I noticed as I made my progression to TL, that when I was at 60.80 I could shoot 58 and move it to 60.79 so it is slow.

The calculation principle is similar for all tiers, only the numbers change. It's not that hard for a TM, the saturation number is 50 and the threshold to Legend is 61.00. Thus, one shot shaved off will cause a -0.02 avg move. AFAIR, the highest scores in my final mix were 64s, thus shooting anything lower may contribute.

Plus, tourney credit wins and match wins against Legends may accelerate the promotion!

Most important: Have fun!!

For Legends, the least move is -.002, easily hiding behind rounding to two digits. Therefore, it's sloooow for us!

• SPINO1
    5,394 Posts
    Tue, Jul 29 2014 4:04 PM

143rd Open Championship - Previews : News Photo

• Martin333
    423 Posts
    Wed, Jul 30 2014 4:52 AM

ShadyShank:

Oh, and as far as how I play my shots, I would say I play half feel half precision. It just depends on the shot really. I probably go by feel more than anything though.

Hi Dude

how can you even use the word "feel" in this game. its a pc game where does feel come from. The game is based on math basicly so should your approach to your shots also be.

My advise is distance control based on calculations where following takes part: Wind slope and spin applied to the ball.

I just played a macthplay challenge on Kiawah my proxmity to hole was under 6 feet.

Regarding wind, for some holes angle of approach is a factor,

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jul 30 2014 5:13 AM

Martin333:
    how can you even use the word "feel" in this game. its a pc game where does feel come from

Given the way the game plays, "feel" doesn't apply literally but more in the sense of what you feel would work in a given situation. If you know your clubs and what you can do with them it becomes second nature in making a shot. 

You can make copious calculations and consult charts and graphs (which works for some) or you can base your shot choice on what you've learned and experienced in the past and play shots accordingly. 

• Martin333
    423 Posts
    Wed, Jul 30 2014 5:40 AM

YankeeJim:
    You can make copious calculations and consult charts and graphs (which works for some) or you can base your shot choice on what you've learned and experienced in the past and play shots accordingly. 

So you choose from being close to the hole somewhere between 50-75 % of the time or 90% of the time. Or you can hope that all shots are played from spots and wind you have tried once before, and then again hope you actually can remember that shot last time you were there.

If you dont take wind, slope and spin into calc. when hitting your shot your succes rate will drop.

You choose ill go math way ( i use a calculater)

Martin

RSS