Forums

Help › Forums

#18 Congressional

Tue, Jan 10 2017 1:14 PM (41 replies)
  • alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Thu, Jul 3 2014 10:50 PM

Your favourite dropping zones is reality - these are programmed into the game. I mentioned before that there are quite a few which should be better, but this is what it is, and no options given to us, the players.

In my previous post I discussed the idea to fully implement the Rules of Golf which indeed would be far away from simple.

• ShadyShank
    629 Posts
    Sat, Jul 5 2014 7:06 AM

alosso:
    these are programmed into the game.

I understand that much of it, but I don't understand how it could be so difficult to re-program certain parts of the game? I also get that the work, as far as pictures etc. has been done already. It just seems that, with the technology of today, it shouldn't take much to alter just a few areas on a few course's, even if it was just to Photoshop them, re-write code to put a player in that spot after a water shot, and away we go.

I also know I'm no programmer and that simple solution may not be simple, or even possible, to do. I guess all I'm saying is if it is possible and not costly, it sure would be nice to have it done. Lastly, and I know we are all sick of hearing even the word VEM, but TURN THE DAMN THING OFF, PLEASE!!

This week I have had putt, after putt, after putt, after putt, after putt lip out and a small % of them I can say were my doing. The rest, if there is no such program in the game, were then caused by the ghost in the machine. And that ghost doesn't want people moving up tiers too quickly. Two days ago I played the TM RG at St A. My avg has been steadily dropping since following the advice of Jimbog & YankeeJim to switch balls, and was at 64.7 when I started the round.

I shot 11 under on the front, so I figured if I just par out even, I should place at least 3rd. I was wrong on that, it would have tied me for 1st. But, none of that happened because I somehow shot 4 over on the back and was 7th place. I know it happens to everyone, but when it happens repeatedly, it really makes me think it can't be me. I've played competitive sports way too long to get jumpy or nervous or lose concentration to screw my play up in a virtual game. But I can still get plenty pissed off when things, seemingly, out of my control do it for me.

And yes, I know, I write too much.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jul 5 2014 7:47 AM

fatdan:

What club did you use and what/how much spin?

I'm betting I know what happened, been there done that...lol.

How about it, SS? Curious myself.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Sat, Jul 5 2014 9:37 AM

ShadyShank:
    Two days ago I played the TM RG at St A. My avg has been steadily dropping since following the advice of Jimbog & YankeeJim to switch balls, and was at 64.7 when I started the round.

I shot 11 under on the front, so I figured if I just par out even, I should place at least 3rd. I was wrong on that, it would have tied me for 1st. But, none of that happened because I somehow shot 4 over on the back and was 7th place.

If you shoot -11 on the front and +4 on the back, it has nothing to do with how the game is programmed and everything to do with the mindset you had for the back 9....like you said, "I thought all I need to do is par out", you relaxed and made mistakes...

Now if you had said I only shot -2 on the back, maybe, but +4 requires too many mistakes by the player....VEM or no VEM, most of us could par all of these courses without much effort or thought, +4 for 9 holes you have to really eff it up...

Right now is the perfect time for any TL to see VEM in action...play the weekly and monthly unlimited at Oakmont and see if you notice how different the front 9's play...one of 'em plays very easy while the other has the yardages all jacked up and is typically tough front 9 at Oak....

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jul 5 2014 10:31 AM

fatdan:
    If you shoot -11 on the front and +4 on the back, it has nothing to do with how the game is programmed and everything to do with the mindset you had for the back 9....like you said, "I thought all I need to do is par out", you relaxed and made mistakes..

Combine that with what the game does when you start shooting really well like you did on the front and, well, you see what happens. Those putts you didn't ding on the front but still went in don't drop. Those slight mishits that yielded positive results now kill you.  All of a sudden you have to be spot on with everything or you suffer.

Get used to it because until you realize that's what happens you're going to see the same thing happen time after time. That's the way the game keeps you challenged.  ;-)

• philking62
    40 Posts
    Mon, Jul 7 2014 1:39 AM

There's a lot I've never seen on a real course, either on TV on the golf channel, or in real life.  I've never seen a ball "hover" above a hole!!  I've never seen anyone hit a club with a supposed distance of 240 yrds. into a 10-13mph wind, and have the ball go 350 yrds into a water hazard!!  I've never seen a putt of 7 inches hit for 2 feet come up 2 inches short on an uphill lie for a birdie.  THAT'S RIGHT!!!  7 INCHES!!!

• spdemon
    1,588 Posts
    Mon, Jul 7 2014 8:37 AM

philking62:
    I've never seen anyone hit a club with a supposed distance of 240 yrds. into a 10-13mph wind, and have the ball go 350 yrds into a water hazard!! 

me either lol got a replay?????

but then again i have hit my 3 wood at andies into a 20 mph wind and it go almost 310 just saying ( rated 240 club)

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Mon, Jul 7 2014 10:44 AM

ShadyShank:
    I understand that much of it, but I don't understand how it could be so difficult to re-program certain parts of the game? I also get that the work, as far as pictures etc. has been done already. It just seems that, with the technology of today, it shouldn't take much to alter just a few areas on a few course's, even if it was just to Photoshop them, re-write code to put a player in that spot after a water shot, and away we go.
    The bolded section shows it: It takes something which means that there must be decision and money to do it.

Their business plan obviously does not include it. "Game over"

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Mon, Jul 7 2014 1:46 PM

alosso:

ShadyShank:
    The bolded section shows it: It takes something which means that there must be decision and money to do it.

Their business plan obviously does not include it. "Game over"

I think you are beating a dead rabbit...   ;-))

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Tue, Jul 8 2014 2:26 AM

RSS