Forums

Help › Forums

Where's the O O B boundary?

Sun, Oct 30 2016 5:40 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Fri, May 23 2014 5:03 PM

Playing a matchplay challenge match earlier i decided to take  the scenic route on St Andrews #17 something i have done before, but today my ball dropped short due to me playing out of rough on 2nd shot but was amazed to see it say OUT OF BOUNDS when i was in middle of mini map.  Yes i was off the normal shot line, but i always presumed the mini map was the out of bound boundary and that where my ball landed would be safe (highlighted in red)

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Fri, May 23 2014 8:05 PM

I've been tempted to play it to that spot when using starter gear from the tips, but have always decided against it because it's impossible to put the aim marker over that spot on the minimap.  I figured if the marker can't go there, the ball can't either.

• alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Fri, May 23 2014 10:35 PM

The marker deflection is weird!

This big spot of light green colour is green #1 - no shot from there (rule 25-3) :)

Furtheron, there is an OOB on the map in the area above the blue marker on this pic.

IIRC there are invisible OOB limits on the other (double) STA greens, too. Today, I tend to see "no pictures taken" as the main reason. Same applies in some other peripheral regions, remember OLY #16, the wood on left hand close to the tee?

BTW, the mini-map indicating OOB is only a general indication but not a law. There are a few exemptions, e.g. BPB #6, where the ball is playable "outside the ropes" in the knee of the dogleg.

• ScottHope
    10,081 Posts
    Tue, Sep 27 2016 11:43 PM
    Here's another odd OOB (not), at BPB's 1st...

...outside the fence and still in play, lol.
  • craigswan
    30,946 Posts
    Wed, Sep 28 2016 12:16 AM

st andrews 17th hole is definitely out of bounds .

ground is saturated .

my dog is there 3 times every day .

Dog Pees on electric fence - animal gif

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Wed, Sep 28 2016 3:29 AM

ScottHope:

Here's another odd OOB (not), at BPB's 1st...

...outside the fence and still in play, lol.

Nice graphic Scott.

I've never seen that view before, didn't even know there was a fence there.

• ScottHope
    10,081 Posts
    Wed, Sep 28 2016 4:37 AM

Thanks Paul. I'm not usually that far off target, lol. I was just experimenting with uneven lies and my caddy gave me the wrong wedge for my bunker shot. How do you sack an invisible employee? Hehe.  : )

• alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Wed, Sep 28 2016 4:45 AM

I didn't know these two spots, but there are a few "interesting" ones.

I pointed to BPB#6 in a former post. Then there is STA#17, the wall behind the green which is permeable to balls or swallows them into OBB, respectively. And - similar to BPB#1 - I once played my second shot from beyond the "real" OBB line (marked by white posts on the right side) after a wayward drive on RSG #14, the Par5 with the "Suez Canal" creek in the middle.

Shows once more that pictures and mapping are two sides of the medal...

(edited)

• razza31
    703 Posts
    Wed, Sep 28 2016 8:44 AM

bhoese:
    I figured if the marker can't go there, the ball can't either.

Yeah like Oak #4 drops in bit closer than in map

EDIT: Well I decided to test it out in the CB UEL #11 -.- and ended with a triple bogey... 

I was able to place marker though but as the ball dropped on the ground got OOB.

• conveyorguy
    776 Posts
    Sat, Oct 15 2016 4:54 PM

ScottHope:

Thanks Paul. I'm not usually that far off target, lol. I was just experimenting with uneven lies and my caddy gave me the wrong wedge for my bunker shot. How do you sack an invisible employee? Hehe.  : )

I usually take the drunk *** to Pebble Beach and toss 'em over a cliff...juss' a thought...

And as far as the boundary for OOB, look at a map of the Maine seacoast, there you will find Old Orchard Beach...

• PAGES
RSS