Help › Forums

Bracket Tie-Breakers

rated by 0 users
Thu, Dec 16 2021 12:07 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • tommyb4
    34 Posts
    Fri, May 9 2014 6:42 AM

Three times now I have tied an opponent in a bracket match and all three times the other player has been advanced.  On one occasion I added up the scores posted by me and my opponent and had taken less strokes in the event than he had but the player I tied with still advanced ahead of me.  I emailed WGT and asked them what the criteria was for tie-breakers and they would not give me an answer.  WGT need to tell us exactly how they are breaking ties. I think in case of ties the players should have to have a playoff.  I'm pissed at WGT!!!!

• WGTyphoon
    597 Posts
    Fri, May 9 2014 10:44 AM

tommyb4:

Three times now I have tied an opponent in a bracket match and all three times the other player has been advanced.  On one occasion I added up the scores posted by me and my opponent and had taken less strokes in the event than he had but the player I tied with still advanced ahead of me.  I emailed WGT and asked them what the criteria was for tie-breakers and they would not give me an answer.  WGT need to tell us exactly how they are breaking ties. I think in case of ties the players should have to have a playoff.  I'm pissed at WGT!!!!

Hey. Sorry to hear you had this problem. In the event of a tie a tie breaker is determined by the lowest score in the final hole. If it is still tied it will go back until it finds a lower score.

- WGTyphoon

• tommyb4
    34 Posts
    Fri, May 9 2014 11:11 AM

OK, thanks.  Using the score on the last hole is a good method to break ties.  It's simple.

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Fri, May 9 2014 12:04 PM

WGTyphoon:

Hey. Sorry to hear you had this problem. In the event of a tie a tie breaker is determined by the lowest score in the final hole. If it is still tied it will go back until it finds a lower score.

- WGTyphoon

Sorry to nit-pick the new WGT guy....but ...  :)

"n the event of a tie, the better scoring entrant between or among the tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest combined score for the final nine (9) holes of the Game. If any ties remain, the better scoring entrant between or among the remaining tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest combined score for the final six (6) holes for such Game. If any ties remain, the better scoring entrant between or among the remaining tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest combined score for the final three (3) holes for such Game. If any ties remain, the better scoring entrant between or among the remaining tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest score for the 18th hole (9th for nine hole games) in such Game, and any remaining ties will be determined by identifying the lowest scoring entrant for each individual game hole, in sequence from 17th (8th for nine hole games) through to 1st, as is necessary to determine a winner, and if any ties remain at that point, the earlier-submitted entry between or among the tied entries will be deemed the better scoring entry."

btw - welcome Typhoon

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Fri, May 9 2014 9:57 PM

I had one of these yesterday. Since my best play was toward the end of the 9 hole round, I thought I really had a chance. 

Oh well, final 4, so a few creds in the bank.

• Texasgolfer5
    1 Posts
    Sun, Mar 19 2017 4:57 PM

What did you do? I've paid, played, beaten, and have been told I was defeated, when wgt knowingly knew by searching the bracket # game I gave them and they did nothing. We think we are done with gambling, because it's only when gambling that the meter malfunctions as well.

• locopony1
    2 Posts
    Sun, Jun 3 2018 7:28 AM

Agreed, I just finished 2 bracket tourney that ended in tie. The other player advanced in both. I had 8 strokes less than that player in the previous round. We need to know how ties are determined.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Sun, Jun 3 2018 1:20 PM

locopony1:
    Agreed, I just finished 2 bracket tourney that ended in tie. The other player advanced in both. I had 8 strokes less than that player in the previous round. We need to know how ties are determined.

See FAQ

http://www.wgt.com/help.aspx#bracket

How are ties handled?

If two players post the same score in a match then the tie-breaker rules will be used to determine the winner of the match.

In the event of a tie, the better scoring entrant between or among the tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest combined score for the final nine (9) holes of the Game. If any ties remain, the better scoring entrant between or among the remaining tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest combined score for the final six (6) holes for such Game. If any ties remain, the better scoring entrant between or among the remaining tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest combined score for the final three (3) holes for such Game. If any ties remain, the better scoring entrant between or among the remaining tied entrants will be the entrant with the lowest score for the 18th hole (9th for nine hole games) in such Game, and any remaining ties will be determined by identifying the lowest scoring entrant for each individual game hole, in sequence from 17th (8th for nine hole games) through to 1st, as is necessary to determine a winner, and if any ties remain at that point, the earlier-submitted entry between or among the tied entries will be deemed the better scoring entry.

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Sun, Jun 3 2018 1:24 PM

Ties in any tournament are broken according to the protocol spelled out in detail (above).

The opponent's score in a previous round has no bearing whatsoever on a later round.

I've both won and lost tiebreakers. It is what it is.

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Mon, Jun 4 2018 3:22 AM

if any ties remain at that point, the earlier-submitted entry between or among the tied entries will be deemed the better scoring entry.

And if two players have rounds that are exactly the same, this line applies. So the best advice if you want to guarantee that a good round will get you advanced: play early!

• PAGES
RSS