Forums

Help › Forums

No Wind = Huge Deviation?

Fri, Apr 25 2014 11:07 AM (21 replies)
  • NiFromFb
    89 Posts
    Thu, Apr 24 2014 10:40 AM

I've been playing the no wind weekly and monthly tournaments hoping to get distances and landing spots dialed in. I have taken notebooks full of notes about each shot (when I hit it right). I'm speaking of approach shots only. I make notes of the power, spin, landing spot, final spot, and any direction and distance the ball may have rolled after landing. Is there a hidden wind in these tournaments or is it just more deviation in them (to possibly keep people from perfectly dialing in HIO challenges)? It would seem that if I don't move the marker, hit the ding, have the yardage right, that I should be decently close. This is not the case, though. I have used up several balls just playing the first few holes, taking notes, restarting, and I've found that hitting the ding, landing with no roll out, at the exact distance, that I am sometimes 20ft or more from the hole on one side or the other. And, it's never the same side. Example, BPB 10...I have the yardage down, I get at most 1 yard of roll on a 198 yard approach. I ding the shot, it lands 197, stops at 198, yet I have a 21ft putt from the side (and I saw the shot flying "off target" as soon as I hit it). Is this just normal deviation or what? It's really becoming a waste of time to take notes, if it's just a crap-shoot anyway. I know the spin will affect shots, but in a supposedly no wind shot, there should be minimal effect. At least it seems that way. I can get closer to the hole with 20 mph winds than I can with no winds, and that is baffling. Is it me, or just the way it is in those tournaments?

One more thing. This really only applies to the 3-7 irons. The higher clubs and wedges are spot on. And playing BPB B9, there aren't many short iron approaches. I use Level 48 Nikes AND 45/Legend Callaways and get same results.

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Thu, Apr 24 2014 2:39 PM

All sounds about right to me.

I got tired of dinging the R11's with no wind and the ball landing 15 feet from pin in random directions. Deviation, vem... whatever the hell it is has made the game more or less an arcade version of golf with some carnival twists thrown into the mix. 

Of course you're gonna get told it's your lack of skill.... 

I for one use low-end clubs now, banging 'em out from the back tee's.. more fun, and a hell of a lot more 'golf' like... When I play here -  I'm on TGCG more or less now. I just try and keep my consect days in for some odd reason. 

Good luck with the whole dialing in thing. ;) It will help you  immensely  to try and not think of the game as golf, try or apply real world shot strategies.... it's not and it just gets in the way. It's a video game, learn to work within it's parameters.....you will find it very ungolf like and not a lot of fun, but you'll score well. 

I would say talk to jimbog1964, dude really knows the clubs and is a nice guy to boot. He'll help with spin, ball selection shot control... still in the end it's the game.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Thu, Apr 24 2014 4:26 PM

I don't like 'No Wind' Comps.....  

Because of my slow brainwaves to my trigger finger, when I miss ding it's not good when there is no wind....lol

-Roger

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Apr 24 2014 5:17 PM

NiFromFb:
    Is there a hidden wind in these tournaments or is it just more deviation in them (to possibly keep people from perfectly dialing in HIO challenges)?

What you're seeing should enable you to get a pretty good picture of what's  called your circle of precision. It's determined by the ball you're using and the clubs you're swinging. Shots will very rarely be consistent but will fall within a certain range. 

This thread will give you a good idea of how it works.

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Thu, Apr 24 2014 6:08 PM

Your stats say you got this game figured out pretty good. ;-))

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Thu, Apr 24 2014 6:39 PM

YankeeJim:

NiFromFb:
    Is there a hidden wind in these tournaments or is it just more deviation in them (to possibly keep people from perfectly dialing in HIO challenges)?

What you're seeing should enable you to get a pretty good picture of what's  called your circle of precision. It's determined by the ball you're using and the clubs you're swinging. Shots will very rarely be consistent but will fall within a certain range. 

This thread will give you a good idea of how it works.

That's is a very interesting Post Jim... one of the good ones that I remember reading

Apart from the Links Courses... St.A and Rsg .. In low winds most of the other courses  you don't have to move the Aim...    Just click ding or maybe close to it and you will be or  around that putting zone for Bird

• NiFromFb
    89 Posts
    Thu, Apr 24 2014 8:43 PM

dedBuNNy:
    I would say talk to jimbog1964, dude really knows the clubs and is a nice guy to boot.

Thanks!!!

dedBuNNy:
    still in the end it's the game.

True :)

• NiFromFb
    89 Posts
    Thu, Apr 24 2014 8:58 PM

Thanks for the responses and answers. My posts have to go through moderation, so sorry for the delay. I appreciate the feedback. And, the "circle" thing sounds about right. I remember reading about it. Kind of seems like the 'circle" doesn't come into play if wind is blowing, though. Probably just me.

As for my stats, the only one I care about is the putting. I miss way too many 3 - 6 foot putts, and not just the difficult ones, either.

Also, I've been pretty lucky as far as the meter glitches, and other problems spoke of on here (knock on wood). I do get the occasional fly-by meter, but it's rare. But, I keep my computer cleaner than it was when it was built. I use multiple cleaners and malware/spyware/virus scans daily. When I log off, I run every single one of them. When I turn my computer on, I run a couple of cleaners before going online.

My only wish about Win 8 (I won't let it upgrade to 8.1...if it ain't broke, don't fix it) is that I have to enlarge the game client, which cause a very slight blur, but I'm used to it now.

Thanks for the answers

• NiFromFb
    89 Posts
    Thu, Apr 24 2014 9:01 PM

Boomerboy44:

Your stats say you got this game figured out pretty good. ;-))

Wish my confidence would say that, too. :)

RSS