Help › Forums

Advice: Buyer plan for a beginner looking to improve

rated by 0 users
Wed, Apr 23 2014 12:45 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • dustons
    4 Posts
    Mon, Apr 21 2014 10:21 PM

Looking for a cost efficient way to be elite at the higher levels of this game. I recognize that the game, at some point, requires you to purchase quality clubs. Is my best move to wait until I'm a tour pro to upgrade clubs? Any advice would be much appreciated. 

Best,

Austin

• mukbrain
    225 Posts
    Tue, Apr 22 2014 5:50 PM

For now, you don't need to upgrade anything as of now except for the wedges and perhaps putter. I'd get the 2 L18 Ping Wedges and the L19 Spider Putter if you follow my advice. Full set-wise, the L32 R11 set is good, though its meter is fast for newer players (3.5). Otherwise I'd wait until L41/42 for the Ping Wedges (52,58,64), then get the G20 set at L59, removing the hybrid to make room for 3 wedges. It won't be far away if you play a lot every day or once a day (88k XPs), if you play as often as you have (started 4/12).

• dustons
    4 Posts
    Tue, Apr 22 2014 7:56 PM

When would you buy a driver or putter? What would you recommend as a good, cost efficient ones? I'll wait till the 40s and 50s to move on wedges and clubs. May as well do the same for the putter and driver. Let me know.

Austin

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Apr 22 2014 8:00 PM

If you can emotionally handle it, the more foundation you can aquire using all of the free stuff will serve you as long as you are here. If you can play well with the freebies, learning the chip, pitch, punch & flop, as well as putting avenue; either direct ding hits or the early hit / late hit method, the new stuff will be even more of a helpful pleasure. Time is on your side.

~SP~ 

• ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Tue, Apr 22 2014 8:21 PM

Learn to play the free ball ... with all the credits you will save, the better clubs you will be able to buy. Clubs don't wear out, balls do.

• tigerfan1506
    3,193 Posts
    Tue, Apr 22 2014 9:18 PM

Wedges when you get to L35-38ish....some good Pings and the ATVs which i use, Then at L55 the Rossa putter, at 750 credits its the best deal in WGT by far.

Then dont buy anything until you reach Master. Then you will need longer clubs.

• MukilteoMike1
    43 Posts
    Tue, Apr 22 2014 9:20 PM

I at least partially agree with most of the advice above.  For me, the R11s improved my game at the lower levels more than anything else.  Hitting more greens and getting several feet closer with the approaches dropped shots in a hurry.  And as a tangent, when it's a tough pin, don't get cute with those beginner clubs; knock it to a safe part of the green.

If the irons are too expensive, I would say keep plugging along and wait til you can get the Ping wedges in the 40 levels.  Putting is huge, but I don't think those super cheap putters help out a lot.  Wait at least until the Ghost Spider at level 35.

And here's one of my thoughts about clubs that I think is in the minority yet again--a great driver is worth more than probably anything.  The Taylor Made Driver at Level 48 is expensive, but it's a dream.  I bet I instantly dropped four strokes a round with that one club. 

Good luck.

• alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Tue, Apr 22 2014 10:43 PM

+1 tigerfan!

I'd add a 3WD, e.g. the R11 at lvl 31(?) for some quality shots from the tee and FW.

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Tue, Apr 22 2014 10:43 PM

Totally agree with -SP- , would only add to consider a driver. If you shorten approaches your pulling more mid and short irons on approach , holding more greens , having more looks at birdie. Learning your long irons are crucial , but enjoying your learning curve is as well. 

• leekow
    2 Posts
    Wed, Apr 23 2014 6:37 AM

The above is correct I would like to add that optimum yardage on approach is inside 90 yards.you don't have to bust your wallet to purchase high trajectory irons makes mid range and long shots more accurate with less roll. PRACTICE and a LITTLE LUCK will bring results you desire.SEEYA ON THE LINKS!!!!

• PAGES
RSS