Forums

Help › Forums

What are "Even" and "Uneven" lies?

rated by 0 users
Sun, Apr 20 2014 12:41 AM (7 replies)
  • PeteBog1
    134 Posts
    Sat, Apr 19 2014 10:12 AM

I mean, when you set a game up, could someone please explain this term?

Thanks!

PB

• SPINO1
    5,394 Posts
    Sat, Apr 19 2014 10:33 AM
  • PeteBog1
    134 Posts
    Sat, Apr 19 2014 10:52 AM

Thanks Spino, but I already read this and still don't get what it is.  

This thread had a lot of people talking about how tough it made the game, but what is an uneven or an even lie?  I couldn't discern from those posts at all.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Sat, Apr 19 2014 12:57 PM

Uneven lies attempts to duplicate the real life effect of the golf ball being above or below your feet or on an uphill or downhill lie.  It's a great feature that adds massively to the difficulty of the game but has been critised for being too severe.

The way it works is if the ball is above your feet when you play it it will go to the left, the opposite is true when it's below your feet.  When the ball lies on an uphill slope the club used automatically has more loft, therefore the ball flies higher but not as far as normal.  The reverse is true for a downhill lie. 

This mimics real life but as said, is slightly over the top at times although it has been improved since it's release.

You can judge how severe the lie is by looking at the box surrounding your lie indicator.  A black box means flat ground, no effect on the shot.  Green is slight to moderate slope and orange is pretty damn steep.  I honestly don't know if there's a red box but if there is your ball is probably resting on a cliff.

There are also dots moving along the 2 axis of the box to give you a good idea of the severity of the slope, pretty much like the dots showing break when putting.

I hope this is the sort of info you're looking for.

It takes a bit of getting used to but can be very addictive.  I started playing the uneven lies tour organised by Corwyn and love it.

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Sat, Apr 19 2014 1:46 PM

Pretty good impression, MM!

IMHO, the best way to learn about it would be to

- select the Starter ball to prevent high ball losses,

- start an uneven practice round.

Perhaps begin with one tee shorter than usual and expect the unexpected!

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Sat, Apr 19 2014 4:12 PM

Great advice on Uneven Lies but nobody said what an Even Lie would be. IMO... an Even Lie is a completely false representation of the topography of the course grounds. We're to suspend our disbelief and pretend the ground all over the entire course is completely flat just when we're hitting the ball. We can see our tee shots roll on ground that isn't perfectly flat but magically it's flat as a pool table when we go to hit our next shot. Even the bunkers are flattened out by some magic power. This makes the game incredibly easy and keeps folks who would otherwise quit playing an actual hard realistic Golf game coming back to spend their money on clubs that perform completely unrealistically and balls that perform much greater than could ever be expected in real life.

To the OP, just click on each and play a practice round game each way. The difference is extremely easy to see for yourself.

• PeteBog1
    134 Posts
    Sun, Apr 20 2014 12:39 AM

Thank you so much Mainz, this is absolutely wonderful - makes complete sense. I really appreciate you taking the time to write this out.

Incidentally, I know now I have played uneven lies once or twice, but had no idea I was doing so! (And played like crap, I might add).

Thx again.

• PeteBog1
    134 Posts
    Sun, Apr 20 2014 12:41 AM

CerinoDevoti:
    We're to suspend our disbelief and pretend the ground all over the entire course is completely flat just when we're hitting the ball. We can see our tee shots roll on ground that isn't perfectly flat but magically it's flat as a pool table when we go to hit our next shot.

Again - thank you Cerino; until you said this, that had never even crossed my mind!  

PB

RSS