Forums

Help › Forums

wedges

Tue, May 27 2014 7:56 AM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • WYLBILL81
    69 Posts
    Thu, Apr 17 2014 1:54 PM
    when are you golf experts at WGT going to fix the problem with your wedges?? i have the clevland and the atv wedges, can u PLEASE explain how does a wedge with FULL TOP SPIN roll BACK sometimes as much as 18 yards, on an uphill or downhill green??? i know the clevland wedges spin alot but........ very concerned WGT golfer
  • WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Thu, Apr 17 2014 2:24 PM

WYLBILL81:
    when are you golf experts at WGT going to fix the problem with your wedges?? i have the clevland and the atv wedges, can u PLEASE explain how does a wedge with FULL TOP SPIN roll BACK sometimes as much as 18 yards, on an uphill or downhill green??? i know the clevland wedges spin alot but........ very concerned WGT golfer

hi

they do spin alot, so key is not to use much bs to control... but if u need it, they can, like 20-30 downwind... 

if you like less bs, there are several, other high end wedges available.

-wgticon

• WYLBILL81
    69 Posts
    Thu, Apr 17 2014 2:32 PM

please explain how it rolls backwards with FULL TOP SPIN???????????

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Thu, Apr 17 2014 3:59 PM

That can happen if the green has a lot of down slope.

Plus moving the spin control indicator up on the ball up does not necessarily mean you are adding top spin when using a wedge

Hitting right on the Ding! (Excelent) also adds spin when using the more lofted wedges.

So with the spin indicator all the up, using a 60° or 64° wedge and hitting on the Ding! (Excelent) you're likely going to actually still be getting a little back spin.

• WYLBILL81
    69 Posts
    Fri, Apr 18 2014 10:24 AM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH thx for all your help... NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i been playing golf for over 40 years, i can hit draws, fades and spin my ball forward and backwards..................... 

once again thx for nothing... always get great answers here from all the WGT experts...

no need to reply, i will just let it go

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Apr 18 2014 11:12 AM

WYLBILL81:
    no need to reply, i will just let it go

That is expert advice

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Fri, Apr 18 2014 11:20 AM

Let me say that I'm not the expert. I'm a little new to WGT, and I've only played 9 holes of real golf in my life.

I don't know why I've seen this happen as well. But I can postulate a lot of things, and try and understand.

The physics of the game and real life golf may be different.

Inasmuch, in the case where the green cants from back to front, perhaps a ball w/ a lot of top spin will lose traction  (in the 'computer's mind') and slip down according to the programming of the greens physics. Seems a little strange, though.

[Maybe something like a car on an icy road going uphill can 'top spin' its wheels forward but this causes something like hydroplaning and the car will slip downward.]

Can any player address or answer this questions ?

#1 Does this happen on a flat green, too? I have to test it, myself.

#2 Will a little less top spin solve the issue?  #2a Does it?

#3 During what cases and conditions of the game do these issues not arise (with a ball with full BS) , and how do they differ from when they do happen?

#4 What happens when the opposite is applied?: A ball w/ BS on a green which cants front to back (the reverse as above). 

---

WYLBILL I may not be helping much, but I have had the same questions, because I've seen it happen to me.

JF

----

I like the word 'postulate'-  suggest or assume the existence, fact, or truth of (something) as a basis for reasoning, discussion, or belief.

• DaveStrock
    919 Posts
    Fri, Apr 18 2014 11:24 AM

WYBILL81,as a tour legend with over 3000 ranked rounds I find it odd that you haven't mastered the spin control on your wedges,I use the Cleveland's and I very rarely if ever use any spin with them at all,I will at times ad just a tad of top spin to make sure on shorter shots (60 to 80 yds) to make sure they stop dead on,adding full top spin to any of the Cleveland wedges will add about 2 to 4 yards to there stated distances,I have never in over 2500 ranked rounds had one spin back at all with top spin added on any hole on any course under any conditions,sounds like you may have experienced a one time WTF shot,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,in any case they will never roll back 18 yards with any amount of top spin unless it was a freak WTF shot but they will for sure roll back that much when adding FBS on a flat green with low wind,,,the Cleveland's are very predictable when used properly with little to no spin......from one expert to another LOL

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Apr 18 2014 11:34 AM

Sounds like he was hitting to that BO4 #7  Whistler par 4 pin that sits on the edge of a cliff. You can top spin until the cows come home and anything short is going backwards. :-D

• WYLBILL81
    69 Posts
    Fri, Apr 18 2014 1:02 PM

Sounds like he was hitting to that BO4 #7  Whistler par 4 pin that sits on the edge of a cliff. You can top spin until the cows come home and anything short is going backwards. :-D

your funny Jim, i played a shot with an 11 mph head wind, into #2 at St Andrews the left pin with full top, landed half way down the slope and watched it roll UPHILL yes comin back to me. this is virtually  impossible. oh thats rt this is a virtual game.

WYBILL81,as a tour legend with over 3000 ranked rounds I find it odd that you haven't mastered the spin control on your wedges,I use the Cleveland's and I very rarely if ever use any spin with them at all,I will at times ad just a tad of top spin to make sure on shorter shots (60 to 80 yds) to make sure they stop dead on,adding full top spin to any of the Cleveland wedges will add about 2 to 4 yards to there stated distances,I have never in over 2500 ranked rounds had one spin back at all with top spin added on any hole on any course under any conditions,sounds like you may have experienced a one time WTF shot,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,in any case they will never roll back 18 yards with any amount of top spin unless it was a freak WTF shot but they will for sure roll back that much when adding FBS on a flat green with low wind,,,the Cleveland's are very predictable when used properly with little to no spin......from one expert to another LOL.

You make me laugh, like i said in my first post it has happened on more then 1 occasion. not 18 yards everytime... but i will say thank you both for your help. haha  good luck out there golfers, hit'em well and watch'em spin.... like only WGT can make them..... Cheers

• PAGES
RSS