Forums

Help › Forums

Red Cross ad banner

rated by 0 users
Wed, Apr 16 2014 8:07 AM (3 replies)
  • cdefghi
    2,872 Posts
    Wed, Apr 16 2014 4:25 AM

This very well might be something on my end but I'm frustrated trying to figure it out. When I go to play a round, the normal set up appears only to have a large Red Cross banner at the top that doesn't allow my screen to have either a meter or the other options, ( i.e. club selection, added spin, ball life left, etc, etc, etc. The screen also wants to keep dropping down a bit every time I click on any ad offer, my profile page, or even in the "Play Now " mode.    I played April 15th in the morning and afternoon, but in the evening this problem crept up.

I e-mailed support and received the preliminary notification that they received my message, but haven't seen a definitive answer yet as to whether it's on my end or WGT's.  Thanks in advance to anyone who might have an answer to what the problem and the fix is.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Wed, Apr 16 2014 6:05 AM
    You could try using adblock or a similar item. Then again using a different browser might sort it.
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Apr 16 2014 6:13 AM

Unless you actually want to see the ads on the site, Adblock is a must. If you already have Adblock installed (it's just a free browser extension) and still see the banner, right click on it and Adblock will walk you through the filter process.

Also, do you always start a game through the Play Now button? If you do, are you closing the main page before you play?

• cdefghi
    2,872 Posts
    Wed, Apr 16 2014 8:07 AM

Needless to say the problem was on my end and I've corrected it for the mean time, by uninstalling quite a bit of stuff and safely re-installing.  Seems my PC expert wife tried to download Adobe Reader but not through Adobe's safe site.  The result was a browser search redirect virus from Checazolokia (sp.) that had attached to Firefox and loaded a bunch of other stuff, Amazon, Craigslist, etc etc in an attempt to get us to put info out there for their criminal use.  Sorry to WGT for assuming the Red Cross banner ad was theirs, as as soon as I fixed things the ad's gone.  I'm still not sure if my registry's been compromised, but for now I'm up and running as good as new here and other sites. 

I'm glad I was pro active about this and hope my newly rebuilt PC will run as well as it did before her bonehead move last night.  When my hard drive went last week I not only replaced it, but also a new power supply and fan, and also added 2 new video cards to upgrade its performance. Once it was rebuilt and cleaned, I used my 3 recovery disks to get the PC as good as new, and I'm so close to that start up that if I have the least bit of idea my registry's been compromised I'll run those recovery disks all over again and go through a couple of days of downloading all the odds and ends that are needed to make this PC good for what we use it for.

RSS