Forums

Help › Forums

Kat's Calculators - Version 2.0 Beta is now available.

Sun, Dec 26 2021 2:36 PM (300 replies)
  • MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 7:42 AM

Jimbog1964:

MichaelStroke:
    I consider this a quasi-cheat, and I don't play cheats.

MichaelStroke:
    I have too much integrity to ever use one of these things - and if I lose, I lose with the knowledge that I didn't play good enough.  There's zero honor in up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-B-A-starting your way to a win.

Very uninformed view IMO.

It is not for me either, but to suggest it's anything other than a very legitimate aid is ridiculous.  The person who put this together put in a great deal of work doing so, and freely shared it with the community helping many who like doing things that way.

Poor post mate.

I don't take anything away from her for making it, as it takes skill in program writing to do so, as well as fundamental algorithmic knowledge.  I just personally wish that she had kept it to herself.

I also know that she was very generous in introducing this...tool to WGT.  However, you know what they say the road to hell is paved with.

2,111 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 9:09 AM

Kat created this tool in good faith and with the intentions of helping players to improve their game.  In fact, I even checked with WGT Customer Support and they have no problem with it and even stated that I did not provide any unfair advantage!  So once again Kat, thanks for all your effort and hard work despite some of those that always want to cry fowl!!!

Phil

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 9:43 AM

Interesting take, Mr. Stroke. On the one hand, gone are the days of the "Hogan & Venturi" crowd that played by eye & feel with a drunkard caddie in ill health...gone along with persimmon woods and inconsistant compression golf balls. Today the pros use finely tuned, exotic clubs & balls in concert with distance info down to inches with help from college educated, tee-tottaling, bag lugging healthnuts. Cheating?......I was fortunate enough to be gifted Sister Kats calculator, but as an always wgt 'feel' player, I have never tried it. Why? I'm lazy....If I did use it I would consider it only what it is: a fine tool. ~ SP ~

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 10:01 AM

MichaelStroke:
    These 2 threads have increased my DNP list tenfold.  I consider this a quasi-cheat, and I don't play cheats.

The USPS considers online banking and e-mails to be a "cheat" ... why?  Because the USPS can't operate in the black like they once did before internet banking and e-mails.

Not winning as much credits in MPC?

MichaelStroke:
    Time for my A-hole entry

Yep ... and I agree with you entirely, Mike ... you are a self-proclaimed A-hole, proven time and again with your usual post.

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 10:10 AM

SweetiePie:

Interesting take, Mr. Stroke. On the one hand, gone are the days of the "Hogan & Venturi" crowd that played by eye & feel with a drunkard caddie in ill health...gone along with persimmon woods and inconsistant compression golf balls. Today the pros use finely tuned, exotic clubs & balls in concert with distance info down to inches with help from college educated, tee-tottaling, bag lugging healthnuts. Cheating?......I was fortunate enough to be gifted Sister Kats calculator, but as an always wgt 'feel' player, I have never tried it. Why? I'm lazy....If I did use it I would consider it only what it is: a fine tool. ~ SP ~

I don't mind people reinventing the wheel.  That's just the times.  However, better clubs don't swing themselves, and better balls don't hit themselves.  Things I'd consider "cheating" in real golf are laser distance measures and random apps.  You take out a randomness element in golf when you do this.  It makes it less "sporting" - which is important.  That's why we check for roids in all the major ones.

I hope you do putt well without the calculator.  I do, as I've always considered putting more an art than a science.  I'm really hoping that beating people who would use this calculator could help drive that nail home.

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 10:16 AM

DaddysKat:

MichaelStroke:
    These 2 threads have increased my DNP list tenfold.  I consider this a quasi-cheat, and I don't play cheats.

The USPS considers online banking and e-mails to be a "cheat" ... why?  Because the USPS can't operate in the black like they once did before internet banking and e-mails.

Not winning as much credits in MPC?

MichaelStroke:
    Time for my A-hole entry

Yep ... and I agree with you entirely, Mike ... you are a self-proclaimed A-hole, proven time and again with your usual post.

You know you love me.

I actually don't play MPC very often.  You know how hard it is to maintain my win % against random people (with no credits on the line) using XIs and RZNs?  I fall way short on gear (specifically in the ball area), but when I do catch up, I'll be playing much more MPC.  With luck, I'll be playing against actual people and not a program with some schlub clicking a mouse here and there to take credit for work that isn't his.

My main hope is that it takes too long to put all that information in the calculator for every shot.  I've played 45 second clock matches since I can't remember when.  If you can't figure out where/how you want to shoot in that time, get some feel.  I have no need for people who break out rulers, compasses, protractors, sextants for water shots (sarcasm), etc. just to hit a ball when a 7th grader could do the math necessary for a good enough shot.

I'm a human who wants to play against other humans, not some cyborgs who have a computer do all the thinking for them.  Reminds me of why I had to berate some countergirl at Taco Bell who couldn't make change because the computer was down.  Sixteen years old and can't add and subtract.  God bless America.  We're a land of idiots, looking for things to do the work for us.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 10:24 AM

Mike, I get where you're coming from with this.  I use a couple of quick calcs in my head and could never be bothered to have a program open that I enter variables into and get told exactly where to aim.  Seriously not my thing.

However, I wouldn't attempt to take anything away from those who do use it, nor Kat's generosity in sharing it with anyone who wants it.

There's room in the world and WGT for all of us.

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 11:01 AM

MainzMan:

Mike, I get where you're coming from with this.  I use a couple of quick calcs in my head and could never be bothered to have a program open that I enter variables into and get told exactly where to aim.  Seriously not my thing.

However, I wouldn't attempt to take anything away from those who do use it, nor Kat's generosity in sharing it with anyone who wants it.

There's room in the world and WGT for all of us.

As I mentioned before, I'm not saying generosity is - in an of itself - a bad thing.  I just view this as something that could damage the game.  I can see some people literally turn into zombies because something does the thinking for them.

If you could enter a code in "Doom" that makes you invincible, are you still playing a fair game?  After all, you still have to push the button to fire your gun.  Of course, you can be shot 300 times and still move on.  Same premise here.  It discourages people from learning the game properly.  If it was just a tool for learning and experimentation you could access on a practice round or external link, sure - knock yourself out.  Punching in a bunch of numbers to make a shot against someone playing honestly with his own knowledge and skill set?  Cheating.  I'll never be convinced otherwise.

• DaddysKat
    3,554 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 11:05 AM

Ya know Mike, this thead was dead a buried ... thanks to you I'm getting lots of friend invites again asking for the link.

Sometimes you should just leave well enough alone.

2,111 Posts
    Fri, Aug 8 2014 11:26 AM

Don't let a few non-sayers get you down Kat.  I for one appreciate all your fine efforts!

Phil

RSS