Help › Forums

Accuracy and physics

rated by 0 users
Tue, Aug 6 2019 10:40 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Gorfit
    47 Posts
    Wed, Jan 29 2014 3:59 PM

The WGT programmers need to pay attention to physics so the game will be realistic.

WHY is there a randomness factor in all shots except putting???   THERE SHOULDN'T BE ANY RANDOMNESS FACTOR AT ALL!!!    

HOW do you justify sending the ball sometimes 20-30 feet sideways when the player 'dings' the shot (and sometimes it even goes in opposite direction of wind)???

This is utterly stupid and does NOT obey the laws of physics!!!

Also....WHY does the wind hardly affect a shot at all??     Very seldom have I iseen my shot curve due to the wind, even under very high winds.

Nearly every time WGT does "updates", the game plays tougher than before those "updates"...What is with this??

• spdemon
    1,588 Posts
    Wed, Jan 29 2014 5:41 PM

lol dude u make no sense at all plus u have 1 i repeat 1 decent club try something other than ctth hole games cause thats not real golf at all bro 

• Wheels65
    744 Posts
    Wed, Jan 29 2014 7:22 PM

Gorfit: I wrote this several months ago then used it in another post yesterday & will repeat it (again) below. FYI, the game is pretty darned consistent but read below.

This is a very 'realistic' game; they have thrown in (unknown & unexplained) variables in order to continually challenge players.  I'm not that good (nothing like some of the WHIZ KIDS in lower tiers shooting "Legend" scores) but I have learned a few things which are worthy of your consideration:

1. Every course plays a little bit different(ly?).

2. That said, each course plays the same - each time you play it.  I.E. St Andrews today will be (mostly) like St. Andrews tomorrow - but will be different from Royal St. George!!       

3. It seems that green speeds change (by just a bit) each day.  So if the game says "Very Fast" today and "Very Fast" tomorrow - the amount of power that you need to make the ball roll 6 feet into the cup, well, changes - daily - but not by a huge amount ( more like 1-3 %).  So pay attention on your first putt - if you hit it (for what you thought was a 6' putt and it only went 5.5'  - add a little more juice on the next putt & remember that you will have to add a little more juice on every other putt - for that course - all day).

4. If higher level players are whining about the (fiction) fact that their shots are falling longer (or shorter) after an update - TAKE THIS TO THE BANK - they probably never bothered to "index" or "mapped" their clubs - I.E. they don't really know what to expect from their equipment.  If they did (see #3 above) , when game conditions change (daily??), they would adjust their play to add or subtract power/spin as needed!  To be a little more "direct", if your first 2 balls travel shorter than you should reasonably expect - consider  adding more power  ; - ()!!

5. Just as bad as never really learning the equipment, some jump from one ball to another in an effort to find a combination to their liking, LMAO!!!  REALLY!!! You don't see PGA Pros doing this IRL - so why do it here?  Until you get a whole lot better (& me too), pick 1 ball, "map" (index) it to your clubs and play the darned thing. This way, at least you have a reasonable idea of how far the ball should be traveling on any given shot and are able to adjust to (daily?) changing conditions.

6. After you have 'mapped' your clubs, take notes for each course that you play. Note what you calculated as the desired distance, which club did you use, at what % power,  was your hit early, late or Ding, and where did the ball go (long, short - right-on). Then use these notes to adjust your shot to get closer to the pin.

7. Real truth, the better your equipment, the more accurate your game and the lower your scores.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Wed, Jan 29 2014 10:53 PM

Gorfit:

The WGT programmers need to pay attention to physics so the game will be realistic.

WHY is there a randomness factor in all shots except putting???  

Have you seen this:

WGTniv:
    Forgiveness shifts the precision circle left or right (and usually short) depending on how much you mishit and what the forgiveness rating of the club is.  Clubs with lesser forgiveness ratings shift the circle left/right more on mishits.

This is why (especially on low precision clubs) you can mishit slightly right of the mark and have the ball go left instead.  Mishitting right shifts the circle to the right, but part of the circle is still "leftover" on the left side of the flag, so it has the potential to land there.

WGTniv:
    The game is pretty simple.  Precision controls your accuracy.  Imagine it's like a circle that surrounds the flagstick when you aim at it.  The size of that circle is related to the precision rating.  The higher the rating the smaller the circle.  Your ball can land anywhere in the circle on a dinged shot (left or right, long or short).  It will ALWAYS land in the circle on a ding shot, though sometimes it may land in the center of the circle and sometimes it may land on the very outer edge or anywhere in between those two points.  When it lands on the outer edge this is what you guys have come to know as "the beast".  Was the shot pre-programmed? Does it know you're standing on the 17th hole at Kiawah?  No, it's just unfortunate timing.  The result you see is the logical spread dictated by the precision rating of the club over 100 or 1,000 or 10,000 shots taken on the site.  No matter how big or small the sample it'samazingly consistent because it is after all only a simple mathematical formula.  The shot data is spread out amongst all users, so there will be times when you run into a lot of "edge cases" (aka deviations, aka outside edge of the precision circle) and times where you seemingly can't miss the center (even when you mishit).  This is the ebb and flow of the game and it's always been there.  In the short term you will have "bad" days and "good" days.  In the long term (providing they are using the same clubs) any one player will see the same amount of "edge cases" or "deviations" that the rest of the players do.

• H01ymoses
    2 Posts
    Fri, Jul 3 2015 4:24 PM

I'd like you to explain how a perfect shot ends up 15 yards off target consistently?  My drives in the edgewood tourney were spot on for 4 different holes and each went completely different directions none of which was where my targeted icon was even remotely near.  I've had more then 20 yards draw on a perfect hit more than a hundred times.  I know how to play the game and even tested it with a slower meter still same bs shots hit.  I can deal with web based game part but, if you're gonna try at least make it consistent.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Fri, Jul 3 2015 8:51 PM

H01ymoses:

I'd like you to explain how a perfect shot ends up 15 yards off target consistently?  My drives in the edgewood tourney were spot on for 4 different holes and each went completely different directions none of which was where my targeted icon was even remotely near.  I've had more then 20 yards draw on a perfect hit more than a hundred times.  I know how to play the game and even tested it with a slower meter still same bs shots hit.  I can deal with web based game part but, if you're gonna try at least make it consistent.

Strangely enough when you spend money on equipment the game play improves. 

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Sat, Jul 4 2015 9:35 AM
  • H01ymoses
    2 Posts
    Sat, Jul 4 2015 7:25 PM

Odd that's how most games that are "free" seem to work now days.  You only get better with money...

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Sun, Jul 5 2015 8:26 AM

There is no such thing as a "free lunch".  You always have to purchase something to go along with it.  No different here.

Do you think the servers are free?  Or that the programmers donate their time?  It's a business.  Earn free credits by watching videos, doing surveys, etc. if you don't want to spend your cash.  Then upgrade your equipment.  Or accpet you're going to be limited in what you accomplish here.

phred952

• KCRoxx
    15 Posts
    Mon, Aug 5 2019 9:42 PM

Gorfit, you should really learn to spell before you call someone stupid....lol.  Maybe learn to play a little while you're learning things.

• PAGES
RSS