Forums

Help › Forums

Putter - Tour Starter

Tue, Jun 2 2009 11:23 AM (6 replies)
  • paulmcm
    449 Posts
    Thu, May 28 2009 2:42 AM

What's happened to this?

According to the stats Its supposed to be quite forgiving, if you don't hit bang on perfect it now misses badly, i don't call that forgiving, i've seen bigger sweet spots on a crazy golf putter.

Why has this changed in the last update?

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Thu, May 28 2009 1:44 PM

Hi paul, here is a discussion on this topic: http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/2176/10117.aspx

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Thu, May 28 2009 1:53 PM

That thread doesn't answer the question Alex.  The Tour Starter putter is rated for 4.5 out of 5  for Forgiveness, which would indicate that it's about as forgiving as a putter could possibly be, yet as it stands any 1 pixel mishit on a putt using this putter will send your ball off line.  That is NOT a 4.5 out of 5 forgiveness putter.  You either have to change the rating on the putter, or have it live up to the rating you have given it, you can't have it both ways in all fairness.

As an aside, I'd hate to see what a putter with a less forgiveness rating does.

• paulmcm
    449 Posts
    Thu, May 28 2009 2:18 PM

thanks Alex, but tibbets is corrrect, you need to change the rating of this to about 1 out of 5, and preferably refund credits to players who bought this thinking they were upgrading to a better putter, i've not tried using the original putter, but i can't imagine it could be less forgiving that the TS Putter - i've been dropping 4 or 5 shots a round since you changed it.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Thu, May 28 2009 2:43 PM

Aye, it's a bit touchy,  especially considering the meter has gotten a little erratic at times once again.

By this logic the 1/10 forgiveness putter would hit the ball backwards maybe? :)

• scoresby
    158 Posts
    Mon, Jun 1 2009 9:48 AM

Agreed.  The Tour Starter putter is miserable.  Not only is it off line severely on a slight mishit, it loses distance on what is indicated as a 0 elevation change.  A 3 ft put slightly mishit will go 2.4 ft.  In real life, the force the putter applies to the ball doesn't change if you mis-aim.  The ball should travel nearly the same distance it would if struck "Exactly" allowing for variations of the surface.

I wonder about the putter development strategy.   It's tough enough to accurately read a green for breaks and speed, but once those have been established and committed to, it's time to strike the ball to that line.   Do any of you strike the ball 40 degrees off that committed line?  Even, 5 degrees.   I seriously doubt it.  Unless the idiot behind you wrinkles his candy wrapper.

Cheers and Birdies,

Ed

• Syn7aX
    64 Posts
    Tue, Jun 2 2009 11:23 AM

I was thinking the same thing the other day about the putter and looking at the forgiveness.  If this thing is 4.5/5, what is a 4/5 or even a 5/5 for that matter going to be like?  Is there going to be any differance?  It is sad enough that a 10' putt can't be made only being one pixel off missing the hole entirely.  i am guessing that one pixel equals about  a 3 inch miss.

With the last update they said it is so you can control the putter better, what???  Who here has ever tried to work a putt on a real course...  "I think I will have an inside out swing on this putt attempt..."  There was nothing wrong with the putter before the last update except the wind affecting the putts so easly.  IMO.

Still love the game even though I feel like throwing my mouse through the monitor sometimes.  ;)

RSS