Forums

Help › Forums

Advancing to a new tier

Mon, Mar 25 2024 8:08 PM (319 replies)
  • K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Thu, Jan 19 2017 2:42 PM

sky0diver:

Well, for me, going up in tiers is like getting older. If you are a child (hack) you can't wait to get older. But ones you reached a mature age (master / tour master), you hate every birthday coming up. ... Because what's so enjoyable about hitting it from tees further and further back :-)

I enjoy the game a lot but have to say I don't look forward to becoming a "Legend" which should happen pretty soon I guess based on the numbers you guys indicated. ... But then again, maybe I just don't see the benefits yet of being one.

I hear that a lot. I call it Legendphobia.

It all comes down to whether or not you like a challenge. Some do, some don't.

For me, if you want to run with the big dogs, you have to piss on the big trees.

Also for me, the game is just plain more fun from the back tees.

To each his own.

• AussieMick11
    1,275 Posts
    Thu, Jan 19 2017 2:45 PM

Robert1893:

@AussieMick11:

I have only played the mobile version (iPad) since I started playing. I progressed in the tiers exactly according to the conventional steps that I've always seen posted with respect to required average and ranked rounds.  

Hey Robert. Same with me, mate. I went the conventional ranked round route by playing on my phone. The confusion happens when mobile players who have never played a ranked round move up the tiers. I've had members in our club ask me why they moved up and when I look at their stats I have no answer for them. For example, the first player in our club's list is an exclusive mobile player, has played 6 ranked rounds, and is at the master tier. But like alosso said, gotta lure mobile players to the pro shop too! :)

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Thu, Jan 19 2017 4:00 PM

AussieMick11:
    Hey Robert. Same with me, mate. I went the conventional ranked round route by playing on my phone. The confusion happens when mobile players who have never played a ranked round move up the tiers. I've had members in our club ask me why they moved up and when I look at their stats I have no answer for them. For example, the first player in our club's list is an exclusive mobile player, has played 6 ranked rounds, and is at the master tier. But like alosso said, gotta lure mobile players to the pro shop too! :)

I'm with ya now. I may be slow but I ain't....

OK, I'll have to come back to that one. ;-)   

alosso is probably on to something there.  

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Thu, Jan 19 2017 4:06 PM

K7JBQ:
    It all comes down to whether or not you like a challenge. Some do, some don't.

I think that is spot on.

Additionally, I know that when I happen to shoot a low score for 9 holes (sub 30) that I feel like I played really well. And for some courses (for example, Merion), a score of 30 is something for me to feel really good about.  

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Thu, Jan 19 2017 10:04 PM

DodgyPutter:
    WGTUniverse:
    your average also goes up based on your level.

Sorry for butting in on something I know nothing about, but the reply above completely baffled me.  Why would your average go up based on your level?  Are we talking levels in the usual way, as in equipment available at etc?

After the verbose explanation we received by AussieMick, I'm sure Mr. U meant to say that, on mobile, tier goes up based on level. Also, they have never explained these matters in detail.

But, both statements together might give a good view on the facts.

• Jeffdavidson24
    26 Posts
    Sun, Feb 12 2017 6:33 AM

So is it 18 hole ranked rounds or does a 9 hole ranked round count as one of the 25 let's say for going from tour  pro to master....or does every 9 count as a half round ? 

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Sun, Feb 12 2017 9:57 AM

9 holes count "one game" to saturation like 18 holes - the scores are doubled.

• Morton1768
    247 Posts
    Mon, Jun 12 2017 1:10 PM

Just played a guy who has 6, yes six ranked rounds, and he's a Tour Master. How can that possibly be?

• Morton1768
    247 Posts
    Mon, Jun 12 2017 1:23 PM

There's no benefit at all and your analogy is exactly right. I saturated my average and played hundreds of rounds on Kiawah back nine to attain Legend, Tour Legend and finally Champion. Since I own the club I set the back nine on the easiest possible settings, wind, hole placement, length and green speed, which for me was Very Fast.

The only benefit is bragging rights, but in reality it's not a measure of how truly good you are and it sets the tees way back on regular WGT tournaments. You get a few WGT credits, but a couple hundred here or there goes quickly if you use balls worth anything.

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Mon, Jun 12 2017 10:59 PM

Morton1768:
    Just played a guy who has 6, yes six ranked rounds, and he's a Tour Master. How can that possibly be?

Read page 8 of this thread, and imagine further that he may have played "on Facebook". Search =>

RSS