Forums

Help › Forums

Ranking of hardest Course on WGT

rated by 0 users
Thu, Sep 8 2016 2:02 PM (36 replies)
  • gdubbombsit4bird
    73 Posts
    Mon, May 5 2014 5:58 PM

For me...the fronts of Oakmont & Merion can get me swearin and %^#&* @ my PC screen w/ the greatest of ease...those 18 holes ..yuk...for me...

• alberich35
    858 Posts
    Mon, May 5 2014 8:45 PM

Best of par4 with headwind is a nightmare.

• skunkyone420
    173 Posts
    Mon, May 5 2014 10:44 PM

Par 4's

Merion

olympic 

whistler

pinehurst

Congressional

Oakmont

rsg

cabo

andys

kia 

beth

• Steven1163
    2,912 Posts
    Mon, May 5 2014 10:51 PM

SwingingRoofer:

now i think pinehurst 2  should be at top

+1

I find Merion easier than Oakmont.

~Steven~

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Tue, May 6 2014 3:24 AM

So much depends on how well you're playing and hitting the ding, at least it does for me anyway.

On some courses, BPB for instance, I can have a pretty off ding day and still score reasonably well.  At Oakmont or Merion the same standard of play would end in a cricket score.

Assuming I'm fairly well on form my ranking from hardest to easiest, ignoring the Best of and TruGolf courses, would be:

Olympic

Merion, pretty much a tie for 1st though

Pinehurst

Kiawah

Congressional

Oakmont

Royal St. Georges

St. Andrews

Bethpage

I place Kiawah fairly high because the greens are so unpredictable, if you're hitting very close that's not a problem but if I take my average of 12 feet then they can be very tricky.

As I mentioned at the start though, any of them can play easy and the next round they turn into a monster. 

Personally I really like that about WGT, I think it's how it should be.

• Kepone18
    196 Posts
    Mon, Jul 25 2016 11:29 AM

Came across this thread. Where do you guys think Chambers and Pebble will fit in now ? I would say Chambers is a hellishly difficult course, maybe in the top 3 hardest?

Pebble probably has the easiest first seven holes of any course but, toughens up after that. The 14th must be one of the more difficult par 5 holes to birdie. In terms of difficulty,  would rate it a tad easier than Congo.

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Fri, Aug 5 2016 6:40 PM

How does everyone find Olympic so hard? Definitely not one of the harder courses on here imo. 

Merion is the hardest for sure. 

Bethpage the easiest, followed by Pebble and Pinehurst. 

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Sat, Aug 6 2016 8:28 PM

MrFunnyWobbl:

How does everyone find Olympic so hard? Definitely not one of the harder courses on here imo. 

So what courses do have as being more difficult than Olympic, other than Merion? 

And I think, overall, St. Andrews is easier than either Pebble and Pinehurst.  

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Sat, Aug 6 2016 9:09 PM

So I ran some numbers for myself. For me, below are the toughest to easiest courses by my 9-hole averages for each. (I didn't control for font 9 vs. back 9). All rounds were played from the back tees.

Of course, there are various N for each course. For some courses, like Pinehurst, the average is based on only an N of 15. I just don't play that course all that often. I find it to be a bit boring. But for St. Andrews, I have over 350 rounds.

I think the point to remember is that difficulty is a matter of degree. Also, for me, some courses (for example, Bethpage and St. Andrews) have a lower floor than other courses. For example, I've shot multiple sub-30 scores on St. Andrews, front 9. But I haven't shot a single sub-30 score on on Merion, Olympic, or Chambers Bay.

Merion 33.107
    Olympic 33.076
    Chambers Bay 33.013
    Oakmont 32.952
    Congressional 32.548
    Pebble Peach 32.383
    Kiawah 32.357
    Pinehurst 32.333
    Royal St. Georges 31.873
    Bethpage 31.659
    St. Andrews 31.202

Regardless, fun discussion. I'm glad the thread was resurrected.

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Fri, Aug 12 2016 1:45 PM

Robert1893:

MrFunnyWobbl:

So what courses do have as being more difficult than Olympic, other than Merion? 

And I think, overall, St. Andrews is easier than either Pebble and Pinehurst.  

Merion, Oakmont both harder than Olympic. I suppose maybe a bit more difficult than I give it credit for, but really only because of trees along the fairway. 

I still think Pinehurst is easier than everything but Pebble and BPB. 

RSS