Forums

Help › Forums

Changing balls during the game

Wed, Aug 12 2020 11:41 PM (52 replies)
  • jigglybutt
    208 Posts
    Thu, Nov 7 2013 10:14 AM

No if you are playing ranked rounds and wanna switch balls in the middle you should be more than able to do so.

Tournaments I understand only using one ball and not being able to switch.  But if we are playing ranked round or anything other than tournaments and we have the balls in our inventory/bag. Why not make it an option that you can use different ones if you've got them.

Most realistic game? In real life I can use whatever ball I want when just out playing non tournaments.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Thu, Nov 7 2013 6:15 PM

jigglybutt:

No if you are playing ranked rounds and wanna switch balls in the middle you should be more than able to do so.

Tournaments I understand only using one ball and not being able to switch.  But if we are playing ranked round or anything other than tournaments and we have the balls in our inventory/bag. Why not make it an option that you can use different ones if you've got them.

Most realistic game? In real life I can use whatever ball I want when just out playing non tournaments.

Ranked stroke play and stroke play tourneys are the only rounds that count in our stats or against our averages. The one ball must be enforced or we should be DQ'd from those rounds and not allowed to finish at all.

Practice mode rounds are where any ball at any time wouldn't make any difference.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Thu, Nov 7 2013 7:05 PM

Since everyone's stroke average is not adjusted by a course difficulty rating, all ranked round scores are in effect handled like professional tournament scores.

• sashweight
    7 Posts
    Fri, Dec 27 2013 7:36 PM

Well why does WGT remove my ball for no good reason? I don't mind if I lose it in the water or out of bounds, but, come on, removing it because I hit it too many times.. Utter BS as far as I'm concerned.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Fri, Dec 27 2013 9:41 PM

sashweight:

Well why does WGT remove my ball for no good reason? I don't mind if I lose it in the water or out of bounds, but, come on, removing it because I hit it too many times.. Utter BS as far as I'm concerned.

It's how the game is paid for. It's better than charging a green fee because this way you get to choose whether you buy balls or not.

• BobbyJones64
    9 Posts
    Fri, Jan 1 2016 5:23 AM

What happen if you have a free ball that you don't want to buy, or if you don't have enough credits to buy the ball you were using?

Actually, the rules of golf allow you to switch balls during the round, even on the same hole, and it doesn't have to be even the same type of ball, just the same brand, except in tournament play when the "one ball" rule is in effect.  In the case of WGT rounds, I have not seen the "one ball" rule stated on any tournaments. 

So if I am playing my Callaway ball and have no more balls in my bag of that type but have a sleeve of similar balls, and I have no more credits and don't wish to spend any real cash on new balls, WGT replaces my Callaway with a starter ball.  This is, by definition, a violation of the one ball rule - I am replacing my ball with a different brand and type.  WGT may wish to give the impression it is following the rules of real golf, but it is only stacking the deck so that people will spend more money on them.  Why complain, it's not real life, so if your score suffers because you are too cheap (I happen to be one of those types), then just suck it up and take your lumps. 

• mathia14
    1,271 Posts
    Fri, Jan 1 2016 2:05 PM

There seems to be a gray area between wgt "realistic" golf & real golf.  How can you have both a realistic & real golf in one?  But wgt makes the rules when it will make them money.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Fri, Jan 1 2016 3:35 PM

BobbyJones64:

What happen if you have a free ball that you don't want to buy, or if you don't have enough credits to buy the ball you were using?

Actually, the rules of golf allow you to switch balls during the round, even on the same hole, and it doesn't have to be even the same type of ball, just the same brand, except in tournament play when the "one ball" rule is in effect.  In the case of WGT rounds, I have not seen the "one ball" rule stated on any tournaments. 

So if I am playing my Callaway ball and have no more balls in my bag of that type but have a sleeve of similar balls, and I have no more credits and don't wish to spend any real cash on new balls, WGT replaces my Callaway with a starter ball.  This is, by definition, a violation of the one ball rule - I am replacing my ball with a different brand and type.  WGT may wish to give the impression it is following the rules of real golf, but it is only stacking the deck so that people will spend more money on them.  Why complain, it's not real life, so if your score suffers because you are too cheap (I happen to be one of those types), then just suck it up and take your lumps. 

The way the WGT bag works, we can only equip it with one make/model of ball for a game.

That, and not the "One Ball Condition", is how we wind up with a WGT Starter ball if we don't/can't buy another sleeve of the same make/model of ball we started with.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Sat, Jan 2 2016 10:32 AM

BobbyJones64:
    Actually, the rules of golf allow you to switch balls during the round, even on the same hole, and it doesn't have to be even the same type of ball, just the same brand, except in tournament play when the "one ball" rule is in effect

Eh, Bob, gonna call you a bit on that. Under the ordinary Rules of Golf you can't swap out balls between tee and green on the same hole unless you lose the ball or it becomes unplayable. Then, it doesn't matter what brand of ball you replace the old ball with - any regulation ball will do. You're free to switch balls between one hole and the next.

Cheers.

• VDeMartine
    68 Posts
    Wed, Dec 7 2016 6:54 PM

srellim234:

When you reach the hit limit for the ball you are using it will be replaced automatically with a new ball of the same type and color.

Would Ball washers increase life expectancy if placed around the courses?  Just saying

RSS