Forums

Help › Forums

Changing balls during the game

Wed, Aug 12 2020 11:41 PM (52 replies)
  • MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Wed, Nov 6 2013 3:35 AM

SplashLewis:

The key word there is "IF".  In other words, IF your Club, Group or Tourny wants to implement a one ball condition, then it recommends using a conforming ball......

Yes, that is indeed the key word and WGT do adhere to it.  They just give us all a big break by allowing us to finish the round with freebies.

SplashLewis:

As far as WGT. It is clear that they dont adhere to a "one ball condition". I wouldnt have a problem if they did.

You're honestly saying you'd rather you were unable to complete the round than play it out with a free ball?

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Wed, Nov 6 2013 5:58 AM

Apparently, the people with televisions in Dubai don't like to watch The Flintstones, but those in Abu Dhabi dooooooooooo......

• SplashLewis
    358 Posts
    Wed, Nov 6 2013 6:34 AM

MainzMan:

You're honestly saying you'd rather you were unable to complete the round than play it out with a free ball?

No. I said i wouldnt have a problem with it.  Thats different than "I'd rather".

My issue is that they choose to put the free ball in play when I have half a dozen or so partial sleeves that i paid for and will never be able to put in play because it wouldnt be smart to put 1 ball in my bag to start the round.  So if WGT chooses to put a ball in play for us, put one that weve already paid for (to save us money and not force us to use credits) and two, to provide a better transition from the ball you just had to the one that is closer in spec, instead of giving you the rock.  Or since they arent adhering to the one ball rule, allow me to put my partial sleeves in my bag.

Another benefit would be less quitting.  I've seen wheOrre guys just quit the round, because theyd rather get credits for new balls, than to play with the rock.  I dont know about you, but i'd rather they make efforts to reduce disconnects/quitting wherever they can.

Hope that makes sense

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Wed, Nov 6 2013 10:10 AM

SplashLewis:

No. I said i wouldnt have a problem with it.  Thats different than "I'd rather".

But you clearly have a problem with the free ball being the only alternative to being thrown off the course.  If you have a problem with plan A but don't have a problem with plan B then I can only assume you prefer plan B.

At the end of the day we have to live with it. Hell, I bought a sleeve of 550 credit Nikes the other day because I started an 18 hole round with 2 in the bag and only after starting realised the 1st ball had about 2 hits left on it.  It was an important (about as important as a round of online golf can be anyway) and I didn't want to lose the second ball after a few holes and carry on with rocks.  Naturally I didn't lose it.  This was a total waste of credits as I now only play Cally Hex but hey ho, only 250+ videos to watch and I'll have those credits back.

I still think it's preferable to being told you cannot continue the round though.

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Wed, Nov 6 2013 10:19 AM

Those brand balls are over priced and over rated. I scored 5 birdies (-4) on Bethpage, front 9 just yesterday with the 'rocks',  tour greens.

• SplashLewis
    358 Posts
    Wed, Nov 6 2013 2:00 PM

MainzMan:

SplashLewis:

But you clearly have a problem with the free ball being the only alternative to being thrown off the course.  If you have a problem with plan A but don't have a problem with plan B then I can only assume you prefer plan B.

At the end of the day we have to live with it. Hell, I bought a sleeve of 550 credit Nikes the other day because I started an 18 hole round with 2 in the bag and only after starting realised the 1st ball had about 2 hits left on it.  It was an important (about as important as a round of online golf can be anyway) and I didn't want to lose the second ball after a few holes and carry on with rocks.  Naturally I didn't lose it.  This was a total waste of credits as I now only play Cally Hex but hey ho, only 250+ videos to watch and I'll have those credits back.

I still think it's preferable to being told you cannot continue the round though.

No, i recognize that giving us the rock  doesnt follow ANY rule in golf and it "just so happens" to force us to buy more balls because you just so happen to have partial sleeves. Hell, give us credit for the partial sleeves or let us exchange them like other equipment..  I like the idea that they should let you finish the round on a worn ball. I'd rather have an option that keeps players in the game and not quit because they got the rock handed to them.  I'd rather compete against a guy who has his equipment than one who is handicapped. 

• Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Wed, Nov 6 2013 5:42 PM

If I was Mr WGT reading this my attitude would be, "OK you asked for it, WHAM!! 1 ball rule in full run out of balls = DQ."

You don't like the fact that they bend the rules at all, fine then don't bend them!

Personally I've no problem with the one ball rule, in tournaments, but I do find it a bit silly in practice mode.

• sashweight
    7 Posts
    Wed, Nov 6 2013 6:54 PM

If you lose your ball IRL golf you can use any other type you have in your bag. Doesn't have to be the same as one lost. Can't see why that rule could not apply on WGT.

• jld51
    406 Posts
    Thu, Nov 7 2013 6:33 AM

Chinajohn:

If I was Mr WGT reading this my attitude would be, "OK you asked for it, WHAM!! 1 ball rule in full run out of balls = DQ."

You don't like the fact that they bend the rules at all, fine then don't bend them!

+1 IF YOU DONT LIKE THE RULES DONT PLAY.  SIMPLE ........... 

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Thu, Nov 7 2013 7:32 AM

MainzMan:

SplashLewis:

As far as WGT. It is clear that they dont adhere to a "one ball condition". I wouldnt have a problem if they did.

Exactly. Their only deviation from the 1-ball condition is that they are nice enough to let you finish the round rather than DQ the player, which is what would happen in RL if you couldn't buy, beg, or borrow another ball of the same type, dredge one from the water hazard or whatever.

Oh - another thing - in RL there are no vapor trails, so there should be no distinction between balls of the same model of ball w/ or w/o vapor trails.

The color of the balls would seem irrelevant, but the official lists of conforming balls break them down by color, so there you have it.

That said, the 1-ball condition does seem kind of trite in general.

RSS