Forums

Help › Forums

St Andrews Hole 2 - Help

Mon, Apr 22 2019 9:20 AM (24 replies)
  • JasonNumber100
    2,906 Posts
    Wed, Oct 2 2013 10:52 PM

I just don't know how to play St Andrews 2nd hole. I've tried everything. I think I would rather play the17th than this one and that's saying something.

My drive is fine, but can never get the approach right. I've tried both full and punch shots. Then the green seems to have a mind of its own.

Does anybody know a good way to play it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jason.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Wed, Oct 2 2013 11:10 PM

That's one hole where a birdie really feels like an eagle.  Both flag positions are very tough to get close, it can be done if you land extremely accurately but there's a lot of luck required there too.

For the left flag (when looking down the fairway) I always aim 2 or 3 yards extra to the left as the ball will usually run on and to the right after landing.   I play full backspin and try to land just over the bank in front of the hole.  Ideally you'd land on top and trickle down but that's very risky.  If you hit the downslope hard you can end up a long way from the hole.  My usual putt is from pretty much straight behind the hole, about 15 or so feet away.  I've been there so often I really should be able to make that putt most of the time but somehow I fail more often than not.

The hole to the right I play very similarly, I get this pin position pretty rarely so don't have my exact aiming position in my head.  I think I also aim a bit left but not as much, again full b/s is needed but be sure you clear the ridge in front or you're in real trouble.

Hope some of this is helpful.

• alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Wed, Oct 2 2013 11:26 PM

With less "biting" clubs it's good to know the lines leading straight up to the cups.

Left pin, play a few yards short & straight over the hole, don't worry if it runs away 10 or more yards. Leave the 1st putt 2 feet short (aim a tad to the right) for a tap-in as straight as it can be.

Right pin, shoot at least pin-high 10 yds to the right. Allow two extra yards of length to get clear of the ridge in the front part of the green. Long but straight putt - leave it short, too.

• Fraenkel
    2,252 Posts
    Wed, Oct 2 2013 11:31 PM

I played this hole a hundred times and says Mainz, close a birdie equivalent to an eagle: it would be better to close with an eagle and nothing else.

At teeil fairway best is the one on the left, less danger, you really have to stay away from bunker.Qualsiasi both the pin position now does not matter if you're in the right place and if the two pins were present both their deviation would be the same, then about 30 degrees.

The approach is definitely tough ones. With pin and left according to the wind you should try to stay above the dune pregreen and compensate with b / s the possible speed of the green, the ball will slide slowly toward the hole: only if you're lucky will slide into the hole, otherwise prepared to pull putter from about 5-8 feet. With right pin is "simple": b / s without delay and try to approciare slightly ahead of the pin in order to close the gap with the spin of departure.

I hope this will help.

Salut,
    Fraenkel 

• JasonNumber100
    2,906 Posts
    Thu, Oct 3 2013 2:13 AM

Thanks, guys.

That's all really helpful information.

• aussieguyadam
    602 Posts
    Thu, Oct 3 2013 5:37 AM

check my replays ive eagled both pin a few times ;)

• aussieguyadam
    602 Posts
    Thu, Oct 3 2013 5:43 AM

left pin play 5 yrds short of pin adjust for wind just off full bs, right pin couple yrds extra  tinest off full bs

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Thu, Oct 3 2013 6:54 AM

In the 9 hole tournament playing now(I guess right pin) I started playing it past the pin furthur down the slope full bs...trying to get a 15 ft birdie putt instead of a 20-30 foot putt when I shoot at the hole...fairly straight putt birdied it several times.

I tried everything to get close to pin but nothing worked for me...

• JasonNumber100
    2,906 Posts
    Thu, Oct 3 2013 9:47 AM

Thanks, guys.

Nice eagles, aussieguy. That bounce is vicious. The ball hit the flagstick so hard.

• hogg105
    10 Posts
    Thu, Oct 3 2013 10:15 AM

Hi Jason,re hole 2 at St Andrews....I find that if i play my second short to a hollow giving me about a 20 or 18 yd easy flop shot to the hole i can usually score par .Hope this helps,i call this hole the lottery hole .lol

RSS