I'm curious as to the strategy of most people when it
    comes to putting.

Do you move the aimer arrow all the time and then try
    to hit the center ding ?  Or do you leave the arrow at
    the hole and adjust your click left or right of the
    center ?

I am an "adjust where I click" type of putter.  I will
    move the aimer arrow when there is a putt with a
    huge break, other than that it stays at the hole.

What stats on the putters are more important for each
    type of putting style ?

I use the Ghost Manta(L30+), mostly because I like all
    the even numbered scales, but it seems to work well with
    my style of putting.

Chime in !

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sun, Sep 15 2013 10:27 PM

I move the marker on long putts but not on short putts and I do a bit of both on extreme slopes. :-)

• neilecramer
    106 Posts
    Mon, Sep 16 2013 1:25 AM

Ding putter here, and like Courtney says, on an extreme sideslope its marker and off-ding.

Another part of my strategy is using low power, no more than 30% and usually less than 20% - which makes for an easy ding. The downshot of that is you have to be extremely exacting on your power using a tried and true distance formula for all green speeds.

• Greengiant2012
    55 Posts
    Mon, Sep 16 2013 2:24 AM

I am a ding putter here. I find it more confident in going in the hole. Also to hit the ding more easier, instead of using a 15 for a 7 feet putt, i use a 50 so that its easier to hit those dings. 

-david

• paul167
    154 Posts
    Mon, Sep 16 2013 5:58 AM

miss the ding here!, I started taking time on iron shots to get them closer! (not working)

In the end, hit and hope

• acebishop
    116 Posts
    Mon, Sep 16 2013 12:14 PM

Miss the ding myself.  Here is something on my putting stroke.

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/195377.aspx

Ace

• pjctas0822
    4,550 Posts
    Mon, Sep 16 2013 12:30 PM

courteneyfish:

I move the marker on long putts but not on short putts and I do a bit of both on extreme slopes. :-)

Its all about feel and practice practice and then when you think you got it down practice some more . Also depends on green speed but I aim slighlt more against the side of the slope and that way I miss on that side of the ding bar so at least I am going against the slope which gives me a better chance on a second putt if I do miss. 

None of this probably makes sense but I used to be strictly a miss ding putter but find trying to hit ding works better in most cases. I do a little of both because it is really hard to hit the ding 100% of the time. 

• AlanSteventon
    590 Posts
    Mon, Sep 16 2013 5:06 PM

I move aim pointer but I am always  cutting short of the hole so i have started to move aim pointer then i just miss on the side of the ding the dots are coming from. this system works well for me.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Mon, Sep 16 2013 7:10 PM

I move the pointer and try to ding but I'm not particularly good at hitting the ding. I pick a meter length long enough to not have to hit it over 50% power. I try to hit every putt about 1-1.5 feet longer than the actual putt length. Most of the time I wind up lagging it up to within a 2.5 foot circle around the hole; sometimes it falls in.

I'm not a good putter by any means but it works for the social entertainment way I approach this game. I have no desire to take this too seriously.

• fairground11
    1,211 Posts
    Tue, Sep 17 2013 3:58 AM

i am a miss ding putter myself as i find it easier to work out how much earlier or late to hit than how much to move the marker.

on severely sloping greens like some on oakmont for example i will combine both

RSS