Forums

Help › Forums

Putter precision tests - Now with irons!

Mon, Feb 13 2023 12:09 AM (211 replies)
  • afunkydee
    290 Posts
    Fri, Oct 17 2014 9:41 AM

Hi Bhoese and Andyson,

So many thanks to you both for all your efforts to unravel the WGT club mysteries.

I'm a L95 legend with the SLDR, nike L77 putter and nike L85 irons. Having read thru most of this thread, it seems I have made some half decent choices.

Your conclusions, as far as they go in small shot number samples, are really helpful to folks like me who are NOT computer savvy and couldn't do the paintshop work.

So, come level 96 in about 10 weeks or so, my buck is most likely to be blown on the BB driver. Extra 5 yrds average means a club down option on tha appraoch probably one in 3 holes. An upgrade there looks better value than a putter upgrade to the versa L96 putter over the nike L77. (Very interesting conclusions on wind affecting putts too, which I have often suspected but could never factor in).

When the piggy bank is full again, I suspect I'll cave in and get that Versa anyhow (maybe xmas will bring a free rental w/e ;), but as a slow meter addict, I just can't help thinking I'll miss the ding enuf to undo all the extra precision anyhow. Tish poo, ya payz ya munny, ya takes ya choice!

What has been cool is that you may have saved me big bucks in a year when I get to L97 and those nike  irons are available. Extra meter speed there would defo miss me a few dings and lose all the gains of the extra precision (IMO) and so I'll stick to the faithful L85's and hang the kudos of the big spender.

So to conclude, thanx again and may the Gods smile upon you, whichever ones you wish to.

Cheers AFD

• toesmcjimmie1212
    35 Posts
    Fri, Oct 17 2014 1:38 PM

Man, I'd really love to see a precision test with the Max Gold CC Putter

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Fri, Oct 17 2014 3:06 PM

afunkydee:

An upgrade there looks better value than a putter upgrade to the versa L96 putter over the nike L77. (Very interesting conclusions on wind affecting putts too, which I have often suspected but could never factor in).

, but as a slow meter addict, I just can't help thinking I'll miss the ding enuf to undo all the extra precision anyhow. 

Just my 2 cents about putters... (IMO results will vary from player to player)

..my observations testing the Versa 97 against other like the G Spider 92, and also the high level Nike putter (during free rental) , is that the Versa, as others have speculated, is a 'ding' putter. I actually have more luck w/ the Spider. But that may change.

The Versa I guess has good balance so it holds the line, and a good quote from a member I read was "The good thing about the Versa is that it goes where you aim, and the bad thing is that it goes where you aim", - a genius quote if I've ever read one! LOL

Many top level players can own the Versa but some choose the Nike 94 (I like the G. Spider 92) . One reason a TL told me was that because of the convenient increments. I've noticed that calculating the exact power for a putt, and then choosing that on the meter is the primary rewarding factor in putting. The easy-to-gauge distance on the Nike helps, I guess, in that regard.

Just something to think about.

I've read some members saying that they also off-ding with the Nike 94*. I haven't had success w/ the Versa w/ the off-ding method. If anyone uses the Versa and off-ding method please feel free to let me know.

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/196243/1914054.aspx#1914054

• derekortt
    656 Posts
    Thu, Dec 25 2014 8:21 AM

One thing I am noticing about the Versa, there is a HIGH amount of deviation on short putts. While I make maybe triple the number of 10+ footers with it compared to the L86 version, I miss more short ones

• fitzroy1965
    337 Posts
    Mon, Dec 29 2014 1:15 PM

You didn't mention which scale you are using on short putts, i'm assuming its the 15 or 30 scale? What i've always heard is if your using the 60 scale instead,you lose a lot,  especially for putts under say 10 ft.  Also most vids I see of the top players putting they all seem to use the shortest scale possible for a given putt.

• mgbirish
    4,019 Posts
    Fri, Jan 23 2015 7:41 PM

WGTicon:

this is alot of fun to read:)

I would also add that when you test longer clubs, due to the length, you probably need more shots than say with putter.

ideally, i'd love to see 50 shots for drivers :D 

-wgticon

Send them some balls Icon ;-)

• mgbirish
    4,019 Posts
    Fri, Jan 23 2015 7:46 PM

I am far, far from the better putters, but the level 70 Versa has been kind to me.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Jan 24 2015 9:08 AM

mgbirish:

I am far, far from the better putters, but the level 70 Versa has been kind to me.

Yep, the L70 is the 2nd best putter here, the L96 being "Top Banana"..a simple fact

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Jan 24 2015 9:08 AM

mgbirish:

Yep, the L70 is the 2nd best putter here, the L96 being "Top Banana"..a simple fact

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Sat, Jan 24 2015 9:27 AM

SweetiePie:

mgbirish:

Actually both the Level 92 Ghost Spider and the Level 94 Nike Method are better than the Level 70 Versa. 

RSS