Forums

Help › Forums

Putter precision tests - Now with irons!

Mon, Feb 13 2023 12:09 AM (211 replies)
  • bhoese
    679 Posts
    Sun, Jun 22 2014 10:10 AM

Drivers!

It occurred to me that I could stuff as many as five drivers at a time into a bag, thereby having the ability to test all five under identical wind conditions.  This might be too much of a good thing.  There's no way to save a game in practice mode, and I don't have the attention span to chart 100 dinged shots in one sitting (it would take a few hours).  I've also found that if I leave a game idle in PM I tend to lose the connection within 30 minutes.  If I'm going to do five clubs at once, the best I can do is a tiny snapshot. of 5 dinged shots each.

I apologize for the rather messy display...too many shades of red (should have used cyan, magenta, yellow, black, and white).  Each line is drawn from the landing point to the end of the roll.  

The most important thing to know is... this test is almost completely worthless!  The 5-shot samples are way too small to have any meaning.  The Big Bertha 9.0 produced an incredibly tight grouping L-R, but when I took a few more swings "off the record" (I'm considering a purchase), the second shot went right down the middle of the fairway (just inside the R1 outlier) and the third went 318-338, the longest shot of the night.  Also, the SLDR popped two miss-dings that carried around 314 and rolled to around 330.  There are all kinds of possible outcomes that this test didn't catch.

I used the same middleish spin (shown) for all the drivers.  It could very well be that each driver has its own unique optimal spin setting, another reason why this is by no means a definitive test.  Ball is the L61 Nike.

One interesting thing that cropped up is the roll-to-carry ratio.  All of the drivers got more roll after shorter carries.  It could be due to a different slope in the landing area.  The BPB 10 fairway has a consistent mild upslope, but even a tiny change to the slope might be enough to produce these results.  It could also be that spin (and trajectory) has a random deviation component  the same way as L-R angle and power.  This warrants further investigation.

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Sun, Jun 22 2014 10:23 AM

bhoese:

One interesting thing that cropped up is the roll-to-carry ratio.  All of the drivers got more roll after shorter carries.  It could be due to a different slope in the landing area.  The BPB 10 fairway has a consistent mild upslope, but even a tiny change to the slope might be enough to produce these results.  It could also be that spin (and trajectory) has a random deviation component  the same way as L-R angle and power.  This warrants further investigation.

There are definitely trajectory deviations :)  Enjoying you and andysons analysis, thanks.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Tue, Jun 24 2014 1:02 PM

this is alot of fun to read:)

I would also add that when you test longer clubs, due to the length, you probably need more shots than say with putter.

ideally, i'd love to see 50 shots for drivers :D 

-wgticon

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Tue, Jun 24 2014 1:22 PM

WGTicon:
    ideally, i'd love to see 50 shots for drivers :D 

Crack on then Ic and let us know the results 

Getting free balls for the tests and all....:)))

• PTrenter
    435 Posts
    Wed, Jun 25 2014 2:58 AM

andyson:

I had the same idea this morning but I need to get up earlier to beat Ben to the punch!

Here's my results on the L96 Odyssey Versa.  I stopped after 16 dings as the balls just kept piling up on one another.

A very tight pattern, much better than my Max Control.

I'll give it a play today, but I might need to scrape up 3300 cr net to get one.

Good work as always Ben!

I've always been a Versa user and was disappointed to see the lack of improvement in stats between the L70 and the L86 version as posted HERE

I did however expect greatness from the L96 Versa though and was delighted to see your consistent results.  That putter is still a long way off for me still but looks worth the wait.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Wed, Jun 25 2014 8:55 AM

bhoese:
    Drivers!

It would be nice to see a comparison of just the 287 yard drivers.  

During the rental weekend, me and a buddy compared the Big Bertha and L100 Nike.

I would have done both myself, but since I'm not at L100 yet and he was, we both rented one of them and played a round.  Both using the L45 Legend Cally and we'd both hit the same ( well as close as possible) amount of spin.  The Cally ball is nice, for amount of spin judgement.  We'd say, fbs or covered the V  or tried some top spin where we covered the "1" on the ball.  

Just wish we had a 3rd player at the time hitting the R1.   The Bertha consistently had more roll out after landing but overall they were both within a few yards of each other.

• nuaveb
    167 Posts
    Wed, Jul 9 2014 2:34 PM

This is really good so far...thanks Bhoese! I am particularly interested in the difference between the BB and the R1 Black.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Sun, Aug 10 2014 11:46 PM

bhoese:

Drivers!

The Big Bertha 9.0 produced an incredibly tight grouping...  third went 318-338, the longest shot of the night.  

This warrants further investigation.

I tried (only) a couple of shots with a little tailwind:

Oak. hole #10, tailwind (from 8 to 2 'o clk approx.) 11-13 MPH

play 9 ball, BS 1/2

R1  (L98 white)

328y [1 hair past ding]  

327y DING

Big Bertha (L96)

333y [2 hairs past ding]

338y DING

---

I want to try more tests INTO the wind, and varying the spin (mostly top spin) to see how the BB compares w/ advantageous english & trajectory vs the R1.*

[edit: see subsequent post] 

My play 9 ball was taken out of play so my test ran short.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Mon, Aug 11 2014 1:46 AM

My quick test was crude and in no way controlled. Forgive me for my miss-dings and terminology.

I would generally conclude that if I was using the Big Bertha into a heavy wind I would put more than 1/2 top spin up to full top spin.

There are exceptions to this method depending on the vast variations of the course and conditions.

I believe results vary from player to player so be your own judge and make your own conclusions.

The clubs are identical in rating except for the trajectory with the BB at HIGH and the R1 at Med/HIGH. 

Next time I hope to try some tests w/ proshop balls, and attempt tests against a direct front wind.

• derekortt
    656 Posts
    Sun, Sep 21 2014 9:38 AM

has anyone done a putter test with the L86 versa?

RSS