Forums

Help › Forums

Putter precision tests - Now with irons!

Mon, Feb 13 2023 12:09 AM (211 replies)
  • bhoese
    679 Posts
    Sat, Jun 21 2014 6:53 AM

The free rental weekend (thanks WGT!) is a good time to try some of the gear that I don't have in my garage.  The only problem is that it looks like we'll finally get a full weekend of good weather here in the Twin Cities, so I'm not sure that I'll log a lot of computer time.  

Up first is the top-of-the-line Versa and its 5 dots of precision. Left-to-right, it was indistinguishable from the Nike, but that's not the whole story.  Its distance was significantly more consistent over the course of a 20 ball sample.   IF this small sample is accurate, the Versa will make more long, bending putts when in the hands of a great player.

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Sat, Jun 21 2014 6:58 AM

L94 Nike, re-posted to have them on the same page.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Jun 21 2014 8:12 AM

I had the same idea this morning but I need to get up earlier to beat Ben to the punch!

Here's my results on the L96 Odyssey Versa.  I stopped after 16 dings as the balls just kept piling up on one another.

A very tight pattern, much better than my Max Control.

I'll give it a play today, but I might need to scrape up 3300 cr net to get one.

Good work as always Ben!

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Sat, Jun 21 2014 9:00 AM

LOL Andyson!  Your test is still incredibly valuable as an independent verification of mine (and vise-versa). 

If anybody else wants to do this, Paint Shop Pro 5.01 is available for free at oldversion.com.  Higher versions are there, too, but the ones that I tried were limited trial versions.  5.01 is the full version and does everything you need.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Jun 21 2014 9:24 AM

Ben, I own version 8 of Paint Shop Pro.  Does 5.01 come with Animation Shop for making animated gifs?  Version 8 does.  Ani Shop is very handy.

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Sat, Jun 21 2014 10:25 AM

andyson:

Ben, I own version 8 of Paint Shop Pro.  Does 5.01 come with Animation Shop for making animated gifs?  Version 8 does.  Ani Shop is very handy.

It does, version 1.01.  I haven't used it in years and although it's simple and easy to learn I was never was very fluent with it.  I might have to play around with it some more.

andyson:

I might need to scrape up 3300 cr net to get one.

If you do, you can test the "rentals perform better, especially during free weekends" myth, er...concept.

• ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Sat, Jun 21 2014 10:44 AM

bhoese:
    Paint Shop Pro 5.01 is available for free

Thanks for the link bhoese.

Nice work you two. I rented the Nike and found it is a step below the Versa. Also didn't like the different scale. Meter speed on the Nike was nice since I use the free ball.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Sat, Jun 21 2014 12:48 PM

[I love this thread]

I have fun using *Paint . net, and I use it for logos and graphs on my Twitch channel.

Those higher level putters look nice for a future purchase, and I'm still learning the TM Ghost 92. It works nice with my style of putting so far.

After that awesome post about the NIKE 85 irons, I may happily stay with them for a longer time. I will keep a look out if you have any more tests on those.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint.NET

Thanks everyone for the great work on these interesting tests.

~Jim

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Jun 21 2014 7:17 PM

JFidanza:
    I have fun using *Paint . net,

Paint.net is very good.  In fact, I used it for the Odyssey putter test above.

• ISH47
    1,963 Posts
    Sat, Jun 21 2014 9:12 PM

I want to thank you guys for putting in this work and let you know that it's a major help to someone like myself working their way up through the levels with an eye on purchasing new clubs in the future. REALLY good stuff..

ISH

RSS