Forums

Help › Forums

Putter precision tests - Now with irons!

Mon, Feb 13 2023 12:09 AM (211 replies)
  • gdubbombsit4bird
    73 Posts
    Mon, Sep 16 2013 2:37 PM

neilecramer:

gdubbombsit4bird:

the starter putter is really bad?...I beg to differ...starter putter is all I use..

If the starter is all you use, how do you know it isn't the worst putter in the game?

The OP used something not unlike the scientific method to test WGT putters. The results are pretty conclusive: the starter putter is far inferior to the other 2 putters tested. If you go back and reread his methodology and study the shot groupings - it's not hard to see it. Your putting stats are pretty good, but they'd be better with a high end putter . How much better? Maybe it's time to rent one and find out. ;)

sorry bout that...when I said "its all I use"..was speaking in the present tense...of course I've rented the Ghosts..the Nikes..pretty much all the higher end putters..and what I don't care for is there are toomany increments..i.e...15..30..45..etc...the starter has 30..60..150..and that is just right...and as far a all that methodology talk and how conclusive it is...ehh...rubbish to me...just 2 things to do if you want to be above avg. putter...1. reading of the greens...2. distance control...and like Forrest says..."that's all I got to say bout that "...8D...late

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Sat, Sep 28 2013 11:35 PM

L94 Nike 

Here's the new Nike.  If you already have the L77, what do you get for another $35?  It all depends on that ball all by itself to the left.  If that only happens once in 100 putts but by chance showed up in this sample, then you're buying a stroke every couple of rounds IF your reads are as consistent as the other 19 results.  If it happens once every 10 putts but only showed up once here, then there isn't much difference at all.

• Lesthanpar
    1,449 Posts
    Sun, Sep 29 2013 12:45 AM

If the putter makes so much difference explain a guy like this NUTBLUFF. He is just a great player and he plays the beginner putter that has 1 dot forgiveness thats it.You have to know whatever putter you are using and have to be able to read the dots for break and distance, know when the dots lie then execute the putt.

• Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Sun, Sep 29 2013 12:58 AM

Lesthanpar:

If the putter makes so much difference explain a guy like this NUTBLUFF. He is just a great player and he plays the beginner putter that has 1 dot forgiveness thats it.You have to know whatever putter you are using and have to be able to read the dots for break and distance, know when the dots lie then execute the putt.

The difference is if the putter (the equipment not the person) lacks precision you can be the greatest reader of a slope in the history of WGT but you STILL won't get the ball in the hole because the putter will send the ball where you AREN'T aiming.

e.g. You are the greatest reader of slopes in the game, you read the bias and your 20ft putt will go dead centre of the hole every time IF the putter puts the ball where you aim. But if you look at the evidence above, with a lot of putters a significant amount of time you are the width of a hole out, and I don't care how good you read the green, that is gonna bite because you cannot know when it will miss for you.

• Lesthanpar
    1,449 Posts
    Sun, Sep 29 2013 1:20 AM

Chinajohn:
    The difference is if the putter (the equipment not the person) lacks precision you can be the greatest reader of a slope in the history of WGT but you STILL won't get the ball in the hole

That is my point. Nutbluff does find the bottom of the hole with that putter.

• Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Sun, Sep 29 2013 4:34 AM

Lesthanpar:

Chinajohn:
    The difference is if the putter (the equipment not the person) lacks precision you can be the greatest reader of a slope in the history of WGT but you STILL won't get the ball in the hole

That is my point. Nutbluff does find the bottom of the hole with that putter.

Sometimes even frequently he / she does, yes. However, the statistics and evidence are quite plain, if he / she was using a putter with higher precision he / she would do so even more often.

Your implied observation that the precision of a putter doesn't matter would only be valid if Nutbluff one putted EVERY single time.

• Lesthanpar
    1,449 Posts
    Sun, Sep 29 2013 10:07 AM

Chinajohn:
    Your implied observation that the precision of a putter doesn't matter would only be valid if Nutbluff one putted EVERY single time.

My point is that putter works for him even with only 1 dot of forgiveness. It is not so much the putter as the person using it. I suppose your assumption that he would be even better with a different better putter is somewhat true but only after learning it as well and that would take a long time.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Sat, Oct 5 2013 9:49 AM

What a great thread Ben, well done and thank you.

Will u eventually get round to testing the top level Versa.

I am saving to buy it, as I have convinced myself it will be better. I love my Nike, but hey....

I have always said wind affects putts, so nice to see evidence.

1i

• shamilitaktak
    35 Posts
    Thu, Oct 10 2013 12:46 PM

gread thread guys thanks for all the work uv put in.

i stumbled across this while trying to work out if it was worth an extra 3000 credits to upgrade my nike from L77 > L94 - I'm still undecided!!

more importantly thanks for finally showing the effect wind has on putting - i've never believed it affects it too much but from yr results and the dozen or so putts i left within inches in a high wind round yesterday i'm now sold.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Tue, Oct 22 2013 1:28 AM

I hope Ben comes back to this, I guess he's away right now, but I know he has players offering to rent clubs for him to test out.

So c'mon Ben, you da man.

RSS