skip nav

Forums

Putter precision tests - Now with irons!

Wed, Feb 21 2018 7:23 AM by pdb1. 201 replies.
  • craigswan United Kingdom
    14,235 Posts
    Mon, Feb 19 2018 5:38 AM

I have upgraded my clubs three times but always go back to the beginner putter with my free balls .

Tried other ones and the meter's are like way too fast to even attempt a ding shot .

I have a taylormade ghost putter which plays like the roadrunner .

Maybe it is because I play with starter balls or am I doing something wrong .

Digg
    Delicious
  • pdb1 United States
    20,061 Posts
    Mon, Feb 19 2018 6:06 AM

Kenher01:
    An inch, Very accurate but to leave it an inch short now that gonna leave a mark, What's wrong with being 3 Ft past the hole

There is no safe distance to report .

If you report that you are 3' past . These experts will say that you are hitting too hard .

Which is BS . Plenty of well made putts would travel 3' past the hole if they were missed .

If you are like me . And pay attention to breaks , speed and accuracy . Learning by what has been successful before .

But still find that what worked 1 time does not work a second time . Still missing every eagle and birdie putt .

Then don't feel alone . I suspect that there is a very high number of us .   There may not be answers for some of us .

I am fairly intelligent . I have a good computer . I have good equipment . I follow every logical peice of advise I hear and read .

Have played all in all . Way over 10,000 rounds . And still cannot make a putt .

I have recently had some medical issues . I am also burnt out and have lost my desire to play at all .

Both rotator cuffs are torn

https://www.gofundme.com/unevictpaulandkaren

Had my first surgery Friday Feb 16 . The surgeon found a small ribbon of tendon to stretch for 8 inches . He is not optimistic that it will hold enough to allow my shoulder to rehabilitate . Going to wait a while to see . before considering shoulder replacement .

So I am using my excuses to stop playing . I have not played a round since January 19 . 1 month today .

I am broke and have a lot of things to deal with IRL .

I run a CC . I find that it was difficult to find members to assist the CC in my absence But finally a couple did step up . There are many administrative owner duties that I feel compelled to keep current  I am also still completely hooked on the routine .

The longer this goes on . The less I miss playing . My average is inside of 2 points to be a Tour Legend . But that was never going to happen . I fooled myself into playing as long as I did .

But putting woes are enough for me to hang up my clubs . 6 years and as much as I have played . It is obvious . I am not going to learn how to putt .

Now I have to find a way to stop everything else . lol .

Digg
    Delicious
  • Kenher01 Ireland
    780 Posts
    Mon, Feb 19 2018 6:32 AM

Sorry to hear about your troubles Paul & i know how you feel,

I am also waiting on a scan for my right shoulder (I'm right handed or should i say ding with my right hand or try to!) as my GP & Physio both suspect Rotator Cuff Tendon but my Consultant thinks it may be Frozen Shoulder.

I'm not too bad during the day (Bearable once they keep giving me stronger & stronger pain killers & anti inflammatories) but the nights are the worse for me, Soon as i'm still/try to nod off it really flares up so get very little sleep during the night & by the time morning comes round i'm wrecked tired due to lack of sleep but once i'm up n about the pain settles down once i don't make any sudden movements so i hope your Op & rehabilitation is successful

Ken

Digg
    Delicious
  • pdb1 United States
    20,061 Posts
    Mon, Feb 19 2018 9:09 AM

Thanx Ken

Yes i have had shoulder problems for over 10 years .

When you stop work for the day .

And especially when you get horizontal .

All the blood starts pumping through them as you try to relax .

With me and the loss or lack of tendons to keep the shoulder aligned . It is bone on bone that is my sharp pains . Not the tendons .

it is 10 fold worse . I have been used to not much more than 2 hours sleep at night for years .

Both shoulders continually throbbing .

Digg
    Delicious
  • pdb1 United States
    20,061 Posts
    Mon, Feb 19 2018 9:15 AM

craigswan:

I have upgraded my clubs three times but always go back to the beginner putter with my free balls .

Tried other ones and the meter's are like way too fast to even attempt a ding shot .

I have a taylormade ghost putter which plays like the roadrunner .

Maybe it is because I play with starter balls or am I doing something wrong .

LMAO . Moving right along as well . Huh Craig ? Maybe next year .

Digg
    Delicious
  • Miantiao Australia
    287 Posts
    Mon, Feb 19 2018 5:55 PM

Kenher01:
    What's wrong with being 3 Ft past the hole

Spot on, although up to 2 and a half half ft is ideal  ;-)

Digg
    Delicious
  • pdb1 United States
    20,061 Posts
    Tue, Feb 20 2018 8:44 AM

Miantiao:
    up to 2 and a half half ft is ideal 

Lol . And what browser and green speed was that ?

Digg
    Delicious
  • Miantiao Australia
    287 Posts
    Tue, Feb 20 2018 9:57 AM

pdb1:

Firefox, any green speed...

Who hits a putt with the aim of just reaching the hole? 

Never up, never in...

Digg
    Delicious
  • pdb1 United States
    20,061 Posts
    Tue, Feb 20 2018 1:45 PM

pdb1:

I use both. A combination of familiarity with the putter ticks and putter pal. I get very close within an inch either long short left or right.

An inch, Very accurate but to leave it an inch short now that gonna leave a mark, What's wrong with being 3 Ft past the hole

[/quote]

pdb1:

Kenher01:

There is no safe distance to report . ( see my point ) ?

If you report that you are 3' past . These experts will say that you are hitting too hard .

Which is BS . Plenty of well made putts would travel 3' past the hole if they were missed .

Kenher01:

Miantiao:

[quote user="Kenher01"]What's wrong with being 3 Ft past the hole

Spot on, although up to 2 and a half half ft is ideal  ;-)

Miantiao:

pdb1:

Firefox, any green speed...

Who hits a putt with the aim of just reaching the hole? 

Never up, never in...

Good point no one does . My point too . But no matter where you end up . It is not in the hole .

None of my answers were supposed to taken as answers .

Just trying to point out how little help a thread like this is for someone who is trying to get good information .

Instead of a bunch of comments about irrelevant comments .

Digg
    Delicious
  • K7JBQ United States
    1,313 Posts
    Tue, Feb 20 2018 7:51 PM
    Was it Yogi who said, "90% of the putts you leave short will never reach the hole?" If not, it should have been.
    Digg
    Delicious
RSS