Nick Faldo at the Open

rated by 0 users
Mon, Feb 3 2014 1:52 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • JasonNumber100
    2,906 Posts
    Mon, Jul 15 2013 4:42 PM

Hello.

It will be good to see Nick Faldo back at Muirfield, where he won two Opens. He is the best English golfer we have ever produced. Okay, he might not have been the most exciting player to watch, but he did win five majors. He also did that after rebuilding his swing.

The sun is shining over here and that can only mean one thing, flowers are blooming, one in particular, that is, Rose.

Yes, I think Justin Rose has a good chance, as an amatuer he came fourth in the British Open and now he has the confidence of having already won a major.

Graeme Mcdowell is a strong contender and of course Phil Mickelson is a good choice, but having won the Scottish can he do two in a row?

Never rule out big Ernie defending his title.

I don't think Rory Mcllroy and Tiger Woods will win. They both can get frustrated with the setup of a natural British Open Course.

It should be a good championship, in the sunshine for once.

I'm looking forward to watching non stop coverage all day from Thursday.

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Tue, Jul 16 2013 11:05 AM

Could Westwood finally bag his first major?  Maybe...but I think when all is said and done McDowell will hoist the jug.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Tue, Jul 16 2013 11:10 AM

I'd love to see Ian Poulter do well. The celebrations would be epic. ;-)

• Ducati916
    1,116 Posts
    Tue, Jul 16 2013 11:47 AM

Jason...Sir Nick won 6 majors...3 each...Opens/Masters....yes, there was a lack of charisma...but he was machine like at the height of his game. Hope he represents himself well in his swan song this week.

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Tue, Jul 16 2013 12:45 PM

Nothing but the utmost respect for Sir Nick here...one of the greats of the game and along with Feherty one of the few analysts on television who knows what he's saying and says it well.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Jul 16 2013 1:24 PM

mkg335:
    Nothing but the utmost respect for Sir Nick here

+1 But I also personally blame him for the demise of my game. Like him I too set out in the pursuit of a "perfect swing", Unlike Nick my game just went down the gurgler after peaking for a while - but the more you corrected, the more potential for things to go wrong.

I got so disillusioned I gave up playing for a few years, back playing now, and loving the game as I no longer over-think the game - thats the way it should be for us average players.

• LouisLewis
    107 Posts
    Tue, Jul 16 2013 1:40 PM

mkg335:

Nothing but the utmost respect for Sir Nick here...one of the greats of the game and along with Feherty one of the few analysts on television who knows what he's saying and says it well.

Golf on TV can get pretty boring when its a no-name leaderboard. Faldo, Feherty, Miller deserve every penny they get paid for what they do.

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Tue, Jul 16 2013 2:02 PM

alanti:

mkg335:
    Nothing but the utmost respect for Sir Nick here

+1 But I also personally blame him for the demise of my game. Like him I too set out in the pursuit of a "perfect swing", Unlike Nick my game just went down the gurgler after peaking for a while - but the more you corrected, the more potential for things to go wrong.

I got so disillusioned I gave up playing for a few years, back playing now, and loving the game as I no longer over-think the game - thats the way it should be for us average players.

Isn't it interesting how concentrating too much on developing the perfect swing can actually hinder one from carding better scores...Sam Snead never won a US Open with his graceful swing, yet Jack Nicklaus won practically everything with his not-so-graceful one.

Tiger was winning everything then set about tinkering and has yet to return to his previous level...and players from the past like Miller Barber, and from the present like Jim Furyk...exhibit ungainly, awkward swings that somehow always seem to bring home the trophy and the bacon.

I guess among other things, it's what keeps us coming back for more.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Jul 16 2013 2:25 PM

mkg335:
    I guess among other things, it's what keeps us coming back for more

So, so true. My problem was I was a low handicap player and was striving to get to scratch (never happened lol). The more things I tried the more things went wrong, especially under pressure. As you say, the more natural the swing, the less thought and would explain why the Furyks, Trevino's etc have historically done well.

Sometimes just knowing what you can do and knowing your limitations is far better than trying to manipulate something that is unnatural.

• PAGES
RSS