Forums

Help › Forums

Pitch shots

rated by 0 users
Wed, Nov 19 2008 11:35 AM (5 replies)
  • paulmcm
    449 Posts
    Thu, Oct 30 2008 6:04 AM

Can anybody explain how this shot work,s everytime i try it the ball goes about half distance i was expecting, even on perfect strikes.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Thu, Oct 30 2008 7:00 AM

Hi Paul,

There are varying degrees of penalty for the ball being in the rough, sand, fringe, etc. that affect how far the shot will travel.  In the lower right hand corner of the game, you'll see a ball in its various states of lie.  As you approach your shot, look at the lie of the ball, and if you are shooting from anything other than fairway, know that the ball will not travel as far as the reported distance, for the most part. 

Good luck!

• paulmcm
    449 Posts
    Thu, Oct 30 2008 7:53 AM

thanks Tibbets - does it make any difference if you move the dot to get underneath the ball more from the rough? I hit a lot of shots from the semi-rough just off the greens that travel a few feet instead of 18 yards, the same happens in the bunker, i seem to hit near perfect shots which travel about 2 feet in the bunker.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Thu, Oct 30 2008 8:15 AM

Hi Paul,

The area around the greens are tough indeed.  The red dot on the ball indicates spin direction, so all in all, adjusting this dot will slightly increase or decrease roll distance.  You'll also notice that where the lie indicator is, there is a percentage listed.  So if you are looking to use a 13yd PW to chip, and your lie indicator says 30-40% then your shot is only looking to travel between 7-9 yards total.  Now, the ball doesn't just fly 7-9 yards in the air and stop, so you have to take into account what the ball might land on before it gets to the green....

As far as hitting from the bunkers go:  Don't bother with trying to use a chip from the bunker.  It just won't work(as you have no doubt witnessed) and your ball will only travel a few feet, or you will whiff altogether.  Full or Punch shots will work, so it's up to you to practice on these shots and figure out just how much power you have to use to get it out of there without gunning it 30 ft beyond the hole.

• shawngraham
    3 Posts
    Fri, Oct 31 2008 3:31 PM

I find that the pitch shots work like real golf shots.  If you are 120 yards away , but in rough, hitting 120  yards is only going to give you about 80 yards.  Think about your lye, and for some shots you have to overhit

• MADISONVOL
    3 Posts
    Wed, Nov 19 2008 11:35 AM

Hey guys,

One thing I've found to be very helpful on chips around the green is the "flop" shot. When your just off the green, with a 7-10 yard shot, use this shot. Aim a little left of the hole, full backspin, and take about a 70% swing. Usually comes within 3 feet every time. REMEMBER it has to be a clean lie, not in the rough.

Good Luck,

madisonvol

RSS