Forums

Help › Forums

Firefighters in Arizona

Tue, Jun 30 2020 7:49 PM (58 replies)
  • Wheels65
    744 Posts
    Wed, Jul 3 2013 6:58 AM

Eric, as a volunteer firefighter (many years ago), I have to tell you that most people do not realize how hot 'field or brush fires' are and fires in forests are worse.  Animals run from them in panic for a good reason.  The temperature, at the edge of the fire, is several hundred degrees - I can not remember the exact figure (over 1,000 deg F?) but I can tell you that I had my eyebrows singed working the perimeter of a small field fire. This is why you see firemen wearing plexiglass shields on their helmets.

When you have a fire as big as this one, a sudden wind shift can, and has trapped firefighters - there, literally, is no place to run -

These guys were the best - May they have Eternal Peace!

• BogeyMan310
    865 Posts
    Wed, Jul 3 2013 7:15 AM

Having a son that is a firefighter for the City that I live in, when my wife and I hear the firetrucks, it gives us a moment of fear and pride to know that he is out there, doing his job.  May they all rest in eternal peace, I am proud to fly this for 19 days in their honor.

Chip

• VirtualGareth
    94 Posts
    Wed, Jul 3 2013 7:47 AM
    Proud and happy to display the avitar for the 19 fallen. RIP
  • LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Wed, Jul 3 2013 7:49 AM

Wheels65:

When you have a fire as big as this one, a sudden wind shift can, and has trapped firefighters - there, literally, is no place to run -

I see the picture now. After following the links & reading what happen 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2353353/Arizona-wild-fires-pictures-Shocking-aerial-images-utter-devastation.html

I can finally understand the magnitude of the event that killed them. Well, there is not much to say, a terrible day for those brave guys and the saddest day for their relatives, friends & colleges.

Rest In Peace all. Eric

• YAZKYULOST
    14 Posts
    Wed, Jul 3 2013 8:01 AM

i live in Phx,AZ and it is really a shame real HERO'S die!!  avg age was in twenties!  REAL TRAGEDY!!!

• rmchangin
    1,327 Posts
    Wed, Jul 3 2013 8:08 AM

Most people run from fire........But were lucky to have a Few Hero's that run into the fire....Pray for the Families of the lost  Heroes  and Lets Pray for the the Heroes Still Manning the lines.....Greg

• russellfahey
    4,286 Posts
    Wed, Jul 3 2013 8:09 AM

VirtualGareth:
    Proud and happy to display the avitar for the 19 fallen. RIP

In total agreement,my heart and thoughts go out to the Families of these brave Fiirefighters.

Russell

• cappy11
    1,173 Posts
    Wed, Jul 3 2013 9:15 AM

Wish that there was more I could do....... RIP and I am PROUD to change my avatar for these brave 19. 

PEACE

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Wed, Jul 3 2013 10:24 AM

In memoriam

• Boquerone
    2,574 Posts
    Wed, Jul 3 2013 10:25 AM

Hi,

As an ex volunteer fireman too I agree with you totally regarding the dangers of field and forest fires. Every aspect of them is dangerous and it only needs a slight change of wind to put firefighters in a very vulnerable and dangerous situation.

The guys who lost their lives on the mountain in Arizona were so brave going into almost impossible conditions.

Despite their rigourous training the severity of this fire was too much for them.

R.I.P. these brave men.

Ron (Boquerone)

RSS