Help › Forums

The R1 Black vs. R1 White vs. R11

Fri, Jul 12 2013 3:39 PM (54 replies)
  • DDRoss1
    1,809 Posts
    Fri, Jul 5 2013 5:04 PM

Griz891:

DDRoss1:

I just played a level 76 legend with the Level 48 R1 and he was consistently keeping up or out driving my G20 Level 83 Driver, now he is playing a slightly longer ball, but tell me how is that even possible. Maybe I should downgrade drivers just for the extra forgiveness. This gent was a TM until yesterday and was outdriving me on every hole before this, now I am playing the level 61 RZN XIX balls so they have the distance, I just don't understand why they can not make a driver for levels 83 to 91 that are not as unforgiving as the R11 or due to loft I would venture being outdrove by a lower level driver.

I had read on here one time that WGT was possibly coming out with a Ping G25 set....that might be a better driver for those levels if by chance that's happening.

Heard that too Griz, I think its a bunch of bull, they are giving all the good equipment to the lower levels right now, because they will have to upgrade when reach legend and will spend more LMAO

• PaulH0070
    1,339 Posts
    Sat, Jul 6 2013 10:47 AM

Hmmm, not exactly a game changer if you've got the R11s is it?

Just done a bit of back to back testing on Congo F9 and the avg length is 309.02 for the R1 vs 304.17 for the R11s.

The longest drives are where the difference is, 325.5 vs 309.31 but to be honest I think they'll pop up just to make you feel like it's longer all the time. 

So most of the time I'll be a club less at most, in real life this makes a difference but on here I'll hardly notice that. I'm as accurate from 130 as i am from 140 (obviously this is a very much personal thing, others will find a difference)

If you struggle with hitting fairways then fine, this is great. But really, does anyone not already have driver that hits them regularly when you're nudging mid lvl 90? (Yes, I know my stats aren't exactly great, lol )

Not heart broken I've spent a load of credits on something that is only a tiny bit better, but if you're tempted I'd recommend using the free rental to try it out as you might not be as blown away as some are.

I've yet to try it in high winds on the links so I would imagine I'll be a bit happier with the purchase after those rounds?

One other thing, is it that I'm missing a trick with the spin? Into the wind I'm putting on a touch of top, otherwise I'm about half back spin. Anyone found a magic formula for these awesome drives I'm reading about?

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, Jul 6 2013 12:30 PM

PaulH0070:
    The longest drives are where the difference is, 325.5 vs 309.31 but to be honest I think they'll pop up just to make you feel like it's longer all the time. 

A point which does seem to come over is that compared to the R11 (not S version) this is a good step up, BUT is the R1 distance predictable??

Beth 10 and woohoo if it unexpectedly booms but Beth 6, might be bad! The R11 for all it's many sins is predictable distance wise.  Only ask because a point that seems to keep popping up is that it sometimes just goes way past other drivers. Is this correct? The R11S may not be as long overall but is often near the R1 and I have never heard the that R11S sometimes just pops this up like the R1.

Any thoughts???

• Mushy01
    2,567 Posts
    Sat, Jul 6 2013 1:05 PM

PaulH0070:

One other thing, is it that I'm missing a trick with the spin? Into the wind I'm putting on a touch of top, otherwise I'm about half back spin. Anyone found a magic formula for these awesome drives I'm reading about?

what I've found with the R1 is almost full bottom spin on all shots into head winds and with tail winds gets the best all round results, max distance and no run off the f/way ...... I was using the level 88 R11 driver and this puts on an average 15 to 20 yds on all shots especially into a head wind

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jul 6 2013 1:48 PM

PaulH0070:
    Hmmm, not exactly a game changer if you've got the R11s is it?

Not unless you're a lazy driver and don't ding every one. This one's hard to put in the rough and THAT is a game changer. Average drivers off the tee-%wise-will definitely have their game changed with this driver. More fairways hit-better approaches-shorter putts-lower scores. I'm seeing it all around already.  :-)

• PaulH0070
    1,339 Posts
    Sun, Jul 7 2013 3:09 AM

I think all top level drivers are hard to put in the rough to be honest Jim, ding or not. But yes, I'll agree this one is even harder. Not sure it's that much of a difference to the R11s, but everyone is different.

Jimbog - Yeah I did find the odd boomer creeping in and that did put me a bit further up than where I wanted (ran out of fairway on KIA 2nd for example) I do find the R11s much more consistent, you know exactly what it's going to do. I guess that's not a problem until you get the WGT moment where you lose carry distance and it puts you in trouble.

Cheers Mushy, will give that a go

• Steve2golf
    930 Posts
    Sun, Jul 7 2013 3:54 AM

Spammage:

I had the extra credits laying around so I bought the new Black one.  I have only played two rounds with it but don't see a discernible difference between the L98 white R1 and the L93 black R1.

I played a few matches against the level 98 and seen nothing, if anything the level 93 is longer :-)

• Mushy01
    2,567 Posts
    Sun, Jul 7 2013 4:12 AM

Steve2golf:

I played a few matches against the level 98 and seen nothing, if anything the level 93 is longer :-)

That maybe you knowing how to use it correctly Steve

• bluzgolf
    1,072 Posts
    Sun, Jul 7 2013 10:35 AM

From what I've seen, the massive boomers are from it hitting a hill just right and getting a kick.  Like Mushy states, using full backspin gets very consistent results.

Jimbog1964:

PaulH0070:

A point which does seem to come over is that compared to the R11 (not S version) this is a good step up, BUT is the R1 distance predictable??

(snip)

Any thoughts???

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jul 7 2013 10:45 AM

bluzgolf:
    From what I've seen, the massive boomers are from it hitting a hill just right and getting a kick.  Like Mushy states, using full backspin gets very consistent results.

This is where the  accuracy shines. You're able to pick spots in fairways, especially the links courses, where you get that trampoline effect for some serious roll.

Whichever way you hit this R1, you have to admit it's a fun driver to play with.  :-)

RSS