Help › Forums

putting

rated by 0 users
Sun, Aug 24 2014 5:58 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • obielee
    355 Posts
    Mon, Jun 10 2013 8:22 AM

my worst shot is putts of 15 ft or more,with a downhill / slope of 8 or more. is there a good formula that i could use? i just use feel, but that comes and goes. thanks in advance for any help.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, Jun 10 2013 8:39 AM

V fast greens = Distance x 85% then +/- elevation.  E.G. 15 foot up 3 is 15 x 85% = 12.75 + 3 = 15.75 of power..............massage for greens on different courses / days maybe but ball park................Your scenario would be 12.75 less 8 = 4.75 (ish)

On shorter putts (trying remember attributes your putter) you may need hit a little harder.  

See also this thread by much greater mind's than mine:)

http://www.wgt.com/forums/p/559/1210325.aspx#1210325

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Mon, Jun 10 2013 10:38 AM

Additionally, I add 1 foot for lagniappe. That's to avoid the "never up, never in" syndrome.

• bneyla1
    143 Posts
    Thu, Jun 13 2013 8:00 AM

obielee:
    my worst shot is putts of 15 ft or more,with a downhill / slope of 8 or more. is there a good formula that i could use? i just use feel, but that comes and goes. thanks in advance for any help.

I don't have a formula for you, but my advice is don't fear the 4 footer. Roll the ball with enough speed to get to the hole, if it goes 4 feet by, just make sure you can make it.

Another tip is miss the ding slightly on the side of the break, severe downhill putts often break more than you think, and missing below the hole will leave you with a much further second putt usually. So if you miss the ding slightly above the hole, it will help compensate for the extra brake it often takes, and your misses will be above the hole more often, and there is a reason they call that the pro side of the hole...

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Thu, Jun 13 2013 2:54 PM

just an example, check the forum pages too------->

When you've a putt that for e.g is 20 ft and 5" uphill, thats 25!

lf your on a tourney grn, from 25 less 30% gives you the distance, give or take! also look at the putt line, if it changes colour maybe from red to sometimes yellow, then there's a big slope downhill, so aim for the top of the slope and allow for the roll, it's going to go rapidly downhill, from black to blue its going up, so allow a bit extra. (The old adage, never up never in) reverse view look at the putt and drag your cursor past the hole and see if the elevation changes and your putt line changes colour too.

Tourney grns overall distance less 30%, VF grns less 20%, fast Grns less 10%, Standard 0%, slow add 10%.

There are a lot of great tips as mentioned in the forum---->

**edited**

• ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Thu, Jun 13 2013 3:05 PM

andwhy67:

When you've a putt that for e.g is 20 ft and 5ft uphill, thats 25!

If the rule of thumb is add/subtract a foot per inch, would not that be 80 ft? 20 ft + (5 x 12)= 80 ft.

• bypass07
    1,360 Posts
    Thu, Jun 13 2013 3:05 PM

the only advise I have is that a putt 3 feet too long has a better chance of going in than a putt 6 inches too short. play often - have fun !!

• 0914lite
    1 Posts
    Thu, Jun 13 2013 6:13 PM

I was just in here looking around for tips and seen one tip not mentioned.when you move your putter back( slowly )you will see the putter move that is an marked distance if you keep moving the putter back counting the time the putter moves.divide the times it moves into the total distance.I have a datona putter then on the 15 scale putter moves 2 times so that means there are 3 marked distance 3 divide 15 = 5ft every time the putter moves.when you move to a longer shot you have to watch how many times the putter move.its different for putter distance                hope it helps

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Thu, Jun 13 2013 6:32 PM

E.g. means "for example," so how do I read "for e.g."? Just curious. 

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Jun 13 2013 7:41 PM

bubbadork:

E.g. means "for example," so how do I read "for e.g."? Just curious. 

Congratulations bubba!

• PAGES
RSS