MERION NUMBER 5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jun 14 2022 3:30 PM (49 replies)
  • MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Thu, Jun 6 2013 7:47 PM

CerinoDevoti:
    I think a couple of holes on Merion are going to be the same way

I'll be glued to watching them on #5..and the severely sloped short dogleg hole on the back (forget the number)

This course isn't so much about power (sans a few holes), but shot selection and creativity...why I think Phil should do well, he has the power for the holes needed, and is a creative guy with shot selection.

• gmaster007
    2,101 Posts
    Thu, Jun 6 2013 9:25 PM

goldeena:

Gmaster:

- yes, land it on the fairway *check*

- yes, do the math (though the 'extra compensation' seems to vary depending on your 'clock position' relative to the pin and your distance out - extra compen is that unexplained bit you add or subtract after you did the height compen, black magic properties some holes seem to have)

- If I land behind the pin it is very dangerous to go for the putt as you will most certainly roll all the way back down the slope if you miss which is very likely considering the green profile - and that's where the triple bogey happens. If I land before the pin there is the chance the ball will backspin to the edge of the green making a par almost impossible and a double bogey easily do-able. 

- For me the only way to tackle this hole must be to approach on the lower fairway relative to the pin or like baggsy said just let it roll off down the green and putt/ pitch uphill, but that's the thing - you've got to be approaching it upslope. Even keel or downslope is a guaranteed game over for me. I reckon I could trash Merion for a good 9/10 under IF ONLY FOR THE DAMNED 5TH AND 6TH holes which have evaporated my dreams of qualifying and which I now accept is beyond my skill and my luck.

I think you can birdie it,
    so I'm gonna break down my 2nd.

as you see I placed the ball on the left side of the fairway,
    that way, the ball will want to go to the right,
    which is what we want (but not too much).
    calculations suggest I need to play it 163 to the hole,
    but when the green is that high, I always add a yard or two,
    so full 165 shot, but giving the back spin some room to breath.
    if it's full backspin, ball can roll back even with extra yardage
    so I zoom in the ball x3 or 4 (lil nifty trick I picked up from one of buggy's vids),
    and I set the back spin to be just a hair less than full bs.
    so it gets the spin but gives it a bit of room to "pause" and roll
    (this make any sense?: ) ). another thing that helped land it soft
    was a tiny left miss-ding that acted like a baby cut.

this may help you or not, but anyway
    you should keep at it until you figure it out.

nothing like conquering an 'impossible hole' for the first time,
    mine was bpb 15 w/ front pin, thought birding it was a myth,
    now it's one of my favorite spots for hunting eagles. :)

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, Jun 6 2013 10:03 PM

Play for par on holes 5 and 6 in the WGT U.S. Open qualifier.

For the chip shot on hole 5, aim barely left of pin on the front view. Should drop with the right power on ding.

Good luck everyone!

• mmyers0
    478 Posts
    Thu, Jun 6 2013 10:29 PM

gmaster007:

You lost me at the part where the drive carries 313 yards. Then you lost me again at the part where your irons stop with a 13 mph tailwind. Then... no, I think I followed the putt.

If I birdie #5, it has to look something like this: replay.aspx?ID=be5ccb67 b15e 46db abe1 a1bb003e5341

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Thu, Jun 6 2013 11:28 PM

mmyers0:

gmaster007:

You lost me at the part where the drive carries 313 yards. Then you lost me again at the part where your irons stop with a 13 mph tailwind. Then... no, I think I followed the putt.

If I birdie #5, it has to look something like this: replay.aspx?ID=be5ccb67 b15e 46db abe1 a1bb003e5341

Nice to see a one hole review, but might lend more credence is a Qual score was posted.

Just saying...

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Fri, Jun 7 2013 7:05 AM

MBaggese:

CerinoDevoti:
    I think a couple of holes on Merion are going to be the same way

I'll be glued to watching them on #5..and the severely sloped short dogleg hole on the back (forget the number)

This course isn't so much about power (sans a few holes), but shot selection and creativity...why I think Phil should do well, he has the power for the holes needed, and is a creative guy with shot selection.

The backside dogleg is the 12th. Overall, the Pro's will have to play the course like we do in UL. Strategy and calculated risk taking with only absolute lights out putting getting  birdies after the 4th hole.

I live in Jersey just across the river from Philly. All the local news channels have had their Sports people hanging around Merion getting interviews with Pro's who've been in town early to get practice rounds in this week. Rory was pretty funny talking about the course. "Start well, make a few, hang on for dear life to finish". I can't remeber who said, 'first 6 holes tricky, middle 7 score, last 5 totally brutal".

I think they're going to have a very good test of patience and nerve. :)

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Fri, Jun 7 2013 8:23 AM

How To Totally Screw It Up In Five Easy Steps. 

• gmaster007
    2,101 Posts
    Fri, Jun 7 2013 2:48 PM

MBaggese:
    Nice to see a one hole review, but might lend more credence is a Qual score was posted.

guess that's what I deserve for trying to offer some advice
    to a fellow player in this ever loving hornets nest.

I made that hole replay after reading this thread.
    I saved all 3 shots because I can't capture video,
    and this was stupid ole me trying to offer some help (lesson learned).

I wasn't trying to prove anything to anyone,
    nor to "show off" like that other guy.
    just tried to share what works (WHEN it works),

"just sayin"...

RSS