Forums

Help › Forums

MERION NUMBER 5 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jun 14 2022 3:30 PM (49 replies)
  • mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Thu, Jun 6 2013 7:44 AM

Having a bad day? It might get worse when Icon sees your post.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Thu, Jun 6 2013 7:58 AM

Hang in there Deena...

Play # 5 to be right of the hole with your clubs...and about 3-4 yards longer than you think...leave a tough twisty down hiller you have to be careful with..but I find if you aim putt and hit early, tends to hold the line better.

Other option is go after the flag, let the ball roll back down to the fringe...the uphill putt from the fringe as I recall...adds up to about 46 feet (distance plus elevation) but being on the fringe I smack at it with 40-is feet of power..little over 3 av movements on my Rossa..leave a tap in...sometimes bird...break isn't too severe.

Now take a break and switch to decaf:)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jun 6 2013 8:18 AM

MBaggese:
    Other option is go after the flag, let the ball roll back down to the fringe..

That shot for birdie is also a very good pitch opportunity, it's about 9-12 yards most of the time. CG64 fbs and choked accordingly. Even a miss will be a tap in save.

• mnshiner
    1,382 Posts
    Thu, Jun 6 2013 9:07 AM

Smart move deleting all your foul language that you used at first.

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Thu, Jun 6 2013 9:08 AM

Replay on my profile. Approach (100 yd wedge, 5 mph headwind) pin high, 11 feet left of flag, +3 elevation. Dots took about 3 seconds to move one foot (one thousand one, one thousand two method). I figure a putt takes 3 to 3.5 seconds to go 10 feet, so for 15 foot putt (11 + 3 for elevation + 1 for lagniappe) allowed for a 1.5 foot break.

• TarheelsRule
    5,462 Posts
    Thu, Jun 6 2013 9:37 AM

The fifth hole at Merion is a tough hole for several reasons.  In the qualifying or from the Legend tees, you are generally left with a shot of 195 yards to a green that does not receive long irons shots well.

My success on this hole has been to play short and right allowing the ball to land in the fairway roll up on the green and break almost dead right to the hole.  If I pull this off I am generally left with a 5 to 12 foot putts that I make about 1/3 of the time, the break is so severe and the fear of hitting it too hard that I'm not sure I will do any better.

If you fly it right at the hole, it will come up short or left virtually every time.  If you are playing from other tees, you are often left with a much shorter shot that you can fire directly at the pin, however being off 2 yards short or left will put you back in the fringe.

In Open qualifying if I'm 4 under going into 5 I am going to play it conservative, worse case end up short with a fairly simple pitch shot, putt or flop from about 30 feet that is not very difficult to compete in 2, take my par and move on to #6, which also has some serious issues.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jun 6 2013 9:57 AM

TarheelsRule:
    My success on this hole has been to play short and right allowing the ball to land in the fairway roll up on the green and break almost dead right to the hole.

Did you mean break hard left, maybe? I've found that with a favorable headwind, like the good stopping kind, clubbing up with fbs and choking the shot will stop the shot on the green but it has to happen past the pin. Anything before the pin with bs is backing down the hill.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Thu, Jun 6 2013 10:05 AM

YankeeJim:
    almost dead right to the hole

I believe he mean "right into the hole" as none directional...like "right back at ya".

RSS