Help › Forums

Extra Slow Greens

rated by 0 users
Tue, Mar 24 2015 6:09 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 4:03 AM

My apologies for being a lazy so and so, I realise there is a putting thread that may have this information. I don't fancy reading through the 20-odd pages in the vain hope of discovering tips regarding this green speed. I am hoping some very kind chap or lady can help me master the extra slow green speed with some good pointers.

The Bethpage Ready Go has this green speed and I am really struggling to come up with any method of judging the distance other than hitting the ball nearly twice as hard as you would under normal green conditions. By doing this the ball fair batters into the hole without any great finesse, anything remotely off center sees the ball pop up or lip out sharply.

Anyone else have similar problems or better still any secret for success?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 5:11 AM

tiffer-When the second green speed came out last year it was Fast. It translated to a 33% increase in the values used with the putting method laid out in the Putting Tips. By that I mean I was using  6  6  9  12  15 as the first move values with the Redwood. The 33% increase changed this to  8  8  12  16  20. It's held pretty consistent since then so try changing your distances by a third and see where that gets you. GL

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 5:16 AM

Thanks Jim but this speed is a step up further from slow, they are extra slow. I reckon it equates to a 100% increase but was just wondering what others were experiencing?

• PRIESTESS
    10,703 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 5:21 AM

Just wallop every putt Tiffer.I find them easy. i had a 59 yesterday or the day before,I take off a litle break and wallop it,, 7 ft putt il hit like 14,The hardest putts on that ready go are the dowhill ones.say 4 inches downhill.but anything that is above sea level, just hit double and less break lol

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Fri, Jul 23 2010 5:47 AM

Hi Priestess, I had noticed your fantastic score in the last couple of days. In fact you've had a few of them. I'm doing pretty much what you suggest, I'm just not doing it as successfully, lol.....

Thanks for the tip ;^)

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Sat, Jul 24 2010 8:39 PM

You just have to feel it out. Remember that green speed will effect your putts exponentially.

i.e You can hit a 10 footer 14 feet and that should get it there if it's slightly down hill.

at 20 feet it's going to be ~ 30

and at 30 feet it's going to be ~ 45

the slower the green speed, the less elevation, and also the break of the green comes into play. On most putt's on very slow greens you are better off aiming just outside the cup.....

oh yeah and this helps.....

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Mon, Jul 26 2010 7:08 AM

I just quit playing that Ready Go and BPB is probably my favorite course.  I HATE VERY SLOW greens.  Would much rather play them at Tourney speed.

• overthetop2
    192 Posts
    Tue, Jul 27 2010 3:07 AM

YankeeJim:

tiffer-When the second green speed came out last year it was Fast. It translated to a 33% increase in the values used with the putting method laid out in the Putting Tips. By that I mean I was using  6  6  9  12  15 as the first move values with the Redwood. The 33% increase changed this to  8  8  12  16  20. It's held pretty consistent since then so try changing your distances by a third and see where that gets you. GL

I thought the speed modifier of "Fast" greens over standard was 10% not 33.  holds up nicely for me on the putting green.

• PRIESTESS
    10,703 Posts
    Tue, Jul 27 2010 3:47 AM

Forget percentages, Just wallop everything ,:)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jul 27 2010 4:39 AM

overthetop2:
    I thought the speed modifier of "Fast" greens over standard was 10% not 33.  holds up nicely for me on the putting green.

This was last year when there was only 1 speed (slow)  and then fast was introduced-the change was a 33% difference. Since then the other speeds have shown up

• PAGES
RSS