skip nav

Forums

FLASH BENCHMARK TEST - How well does your computer run Flash?

Sun, Aug 13 2017 5:37 AM by Pego1986. 92 replies.
  • andyson United States
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Apr 13 2013 8:07 AM

I came across a Flash Benchmark Test site that tells us how well our computer runs Flash games. 

The site runs increasingly complex Flash animations and measures how well your computer displays the animations.

It measures how many Frames Per Second  your computer can draw on the display.  The more FPS, the better the animations look.  Any FPS greater than 25 FPS passes the test.

It also gives a numerical score representing the overall Flash performance of your system.

Any score between 10,000 and 14,000 is rated Good.

Any score between 14,000 and 18,000 is rated Great!

Any score above 18,000 is rated Awesome!!

I tested several browsers this morning and here are my results:

Here's all the browser and flash versions:

I ran these tests under the same conditions I would play WGT.  Hardware acceleration enabled, No other browser window open. But Skype, Excel, a Paint program, Windows Live Mail, Notepad, all running.  A total of 96 processes.(Sure, I know, too much stuff running blah, blah, blah.  Don't bother telling me, thats the way I like it.) And as I've said before, my WGT meter is good in single play with a rare stutter.  But I get an occasional freeze or RPM (Rocket Propelled Meter) in multi-player. 

My laptop has an Intel I5 quad core processor with 4G ram and a dedicated GPU. I run Win7 64bit.   My ISP provides 25+Mbps down, 10+Mbps up.

Waterfox, my current browser of choice for playing WGT, came out on top. It was the only browser to pass the Heavy test providing 26FPS.   WF is tailored for 64bit systems, which I have.  I'm not surprised by this result

I find the other results a bit surprising. 

Chrome with the hated Pepperflash came in second.  I thought Pepper had trouble running flash?

My old version of FF (the latest is v18) did pretty good with the latest flash.  I used to run this browser before switching to WaterFox.

Chrome w/o Pepperflash and the highly touted Maxthon browser bring up the rear.  (I had to go to the Maxthon forum to find out how to get it to run the latest version of Flash.  Pfffft runs worse!)

Them's MY results.  What's your's?

(note: would really love to see someone's results running Windows XP, Hyena?  Where are ya man?)

Digg
    Delicious
  • filmslayer United States
    2,335 Posts
    Sat, Apr 13 2013 8:20 AM

good to hear ... i use chrome on a new machine . similar to yours , i5 , 4G ram but windows8  64 bit and was nervous when i seen "pepper" in the latest vesion 11,7,7 . i've yet to have an issue so i left it alone . i know that the older version with "pepper" in it really messed the game up on my old machine ... i scored a 15,636 ...

Digg
    Delicious
  • JimbeauC United States
    5,177 Posts
    Sat, Apr 13 2013 8:26 AM

andyson:
    Them's MY results.  What's your's?

Thanks for the heads up.

Interesting. Recently it became apparent that Flash and my Vid card were at odds. I downloaded the latest drivers and all is well.

I only have IE and Chr sans Pepper loaded

IE 21103        Chr  16903

How weird is that? Anyway, the main reason I don't use IE regardless is connectivity issues, not Flash FPS

The test gives average FPS under progressively more intense vid.

IE  Lite 66, Med 65, Hvy 59, Ultra 21

CHR   62, 64, 47, 18

So both "failed" only under the hardest conditions. I might enable Pepper for grins and give it a go.

Digg
    Delicious
  • TWOMINUSONE Ireland
    2,576 Posts
    Sat, Apr 13 2013 8:44 AM

Heres what i got Andy. Im running Firefox 20.0.1 on windows 7 premium. My Flash player is 11.7.700.169.

1st attempt:

2nd attempt:

Dont know if this can help you chief, but will stick the info up anyways.

EDIT, and my meter still gives me mega Gyp all the time, lol.

Digg
    Delicious
  • bubbadork United States
    984 Posts
    Sat, Apr 13 2013 8:44 AM

My Chrome scored 15,178 (great)

• Lite            62.1
    • Medium    53.24
    • Heavy       26.09
    • Ultra          10.36 (fail)
    When I play I have my swing ruler running plus either Word or Notepad II. My meter is always good.

Digg
    Delicious
  • andyson United States
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Apr 13 2013 9:07 AM

JimbeauC:

I only have IE and Chr sans Pepper loaded

IE 21103        Chr  16903

Awesome IE score Jimbeau!  I totally forgot I had IE loaded!  Never use it!  I ran it anyway.

the 64bit version of IE performed great, just below the 64bit Waterfox result.  It also passed the Heavy test.

IE-64bit version 8.0.7601.17514, Flash v 11.1.102.55 ( i ain't updatin' lol) score: 15701

Looks like if you have a 64bit system one of these 64bit browsers is worth a try.

Digg
    Delicious
  • ljbast Canada
    943 Posts
    Sat, Apr 13 2013 9:33 AM

so, this is good then?

Digg
    Delicious
  • andyson United States
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Apr 13 2013 11:16 AM

ljbast:
    so, this is good then?

Awesome!  But we can't get the Molson browser in the U.S., eh?

Digg
    Delicious
  • YankeeJim United States
    23,507 Posts
    Sat, Apr 13 2013 11:24 AM

andyson:
    Awesome!  But we can't get the Molson browser in the U.S., eh?

But you can get CD. My results were identical. Any particular reason it's not included?

Digg
    Delicious
  • Sriley13 United States
    233 Posts
    Sat, Apr 13 2013 11:24 AM

no wonder I can't play this game very good...8335 was my best rating, failed the medium test....lol

Digg
    Delicious
RSS