Belly putter banarama proposal

rated by 0 users
Wed, Apr 17 2013 5:22 AM (20 replies)
  • zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Sat, Mar 16 2013 3:22 AM

BigBigEasy:

thebigeasy707:

it should have been outlawed from day one.

Agreed, but I keep thinking if belly putters were so wonderful and gave the player such a big advantage, why hasn't all the money players adopted it?

It's hard to say there's an uneven playing field as long as everyone plays by the same rules. The rules are obviously arbitrary, and any player can do what works best for themselves within the rules. A perceived advantage is not an unfair advantage if it is available to everyone. But the rules may also be amended or clarified over time to reflect the spirit or even just the aesthetics of the game. So I say good riddance to the belly putter.

Plus, the rules already prohibit the fun trick of holing a short putt using the handle of the putter like a pool cue. Fun but in poor taste.

By the same token, I think they should have banned the over-sized tennis rackets as soon as they appeared, or they should have had a rule in place to define how large the head of the racket can be. So the "normal" sized racket I learned with became obsolete overnight and it is a zero-sum game if everyone got the big racket. I just think the big racket is cheesy. It's a question of aesthetics more than sportsmanship.

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Sat, Mar 16 2013 7:48 AM

Uh! Wrong forum vic, and poor netiquette (thread hijacking)

Besides, your post is not related to the thread topic, so it's unlikely WGT will even see your suggestion.

• Lobsterboy
    4,729 Posts
    Sat, Mar 16 2013 5:46 PM

BigBigEasy:
    if belly putters were so wonderful and gave the player such a big advantage, why hasn't all the money players adopted it?

precisely . .

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Sat, Mar 16 2013 10:34 PM

Lobsterboy:

BigBigEasy:
    if belly putters were so wonderful and gave the player such a big advantage, why hasn't all the money players adopted it?

precisely . .

I'd use it because it would help me stand up more, having a bad low back.  Carl Petterson and Bernard Langer use the "chin" putter I call it. Either one, it seems, would take a lot of getting use to.

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Sat, Mar 16 2013 10:40 PM

BigBigEasy:

thebigeasy707:

it should have been outlawed from day one.

Agreed, but I keep thinking if belly putters were so wonderful and gave the player such a big advantage, why hasn't all the money players adopted it?

I don't think many use it, and the one's I see using it aren't big money winners--what about physical issues? Putting is very hard on the low back, there should be some consideraton for physical needs

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Sun, Mar 17 2013 12:10 PM

TracyMax:

and the one's I see using it aren't big money winners--what about physical issues? Putting is very hard on the low back, there should be some consideraton for physical needs

How about Webb Simpson - 2012 - #17 - $3,436,758

and Keegan Bradley - 2012 - #10 - $3,910,658

The top 99 on the 2012 PGA money list won over $1,000,000.

http://www.pgatour.com/content/pgatour/stats/stat.109.html

http://youtu.be/88zAskWFuqk

As far as physical issues, strengthening the lower back muscles helps a lot.

• Victoria47
    629 Posts
    Sun, Mar 17 2013 1:44 PM

sorry apex, wrong row...shouldnt happen again,   vic

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Tue, Apr 16 2013 10:54 AM

If this stupid looking putter is allowed, I'm hoping half the tour goes and gets one of those stupid "Hammer X" drivers.

That'd be comical.

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Tue, Apr 16 2013 5:33 PM

fact is....the last 4  majors have been won by players using anchored putters.

• stevenharkin
    1,921 Posts
    Wed, Apr 17 2013 4:14 AM

rory won previous major :) think it's something like 4 of the past 6 winners...

RSS