Forums

Help › Forums

Uneven lie tutorial

Wed, Nov 6 2019 11:24 AM (120 replies)
  • thespaff
    44 Posts
    Fri, Jul 5 2013 2:18 PM

Amen !! As many have said until WGT tweaks it I will not be playing any uneven lie tourny's.

• dbredfox57
    515 Posts
    Wed, Aug 28 2013 8:16 PM

I played a couple practice rounds with uneven lies tonight, but the box wouldn't light up, just black.  The little balls wouldn't move either.  Seems llike the game was in uneven mode because I had some shots go weird... 

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Fri, Aug 30 2013 4:48 AM

dbredfox57:

I played a couple practice rounds with uneven lies tonight, but the box wouldn't light up, just black.  The little balls wouldn't move either.  Seems llike the game was in uneven mode because I had some shots go weird... 

Uneven Lies has been fixed. there were messy after the last official update. Please, try again.

Eric

• JCR1957
    280 Posts
    Wed, Sep 11 2013 7:36 PM

Total crap shoot.  No matter how you look at it.  Specially if you get high winds to boot.  Not a hole lot of skill in this format because the lies lie...the dots lie...the game lies even worse than WGT normally does.

Not really worth your time unless you like being frustrated and hit high scores!

At least that's my two cents.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Thu, Sep 12 2013 6:19 AM

JCR1957:

Total crap shoot.  No matter how you look at it.  Specially if you get high winds to boot.  Not a hole lot of skill in this format because the lies lie...the dots lie...the game lies even worse than WGT normally does.

Not really worth your time unless you like being frustrated and hit high scores!

At least that's my two cents.

There's quite a few of us that have learned to read the lie indicator box. It's showing us how much to move the aiming marker to offset the ground lie. I've found it to be incredibly accurate once you learn what it's trying to show.

What we do is change the face angle of the club to create a direct path to the target. That indicator is showing you how much offset angle is takes to end up on target line at the end of the shot. I watch the dot move along and move the aim marker (in the opposite direction) at the same speed as the dot is moving.  The trick I found is moving the aimer from when the dot is center to when it reaches the side. That's exactly how much face angle adjustment it takes  to end up on target line. In some cases I've moved the aimer well into the rough or even nearly off the map. That doesn't matter as long as the movement matches the dot travel and speed. I always tell anyone that at first, try Uneven Lies with the starter clubs and ball. Losing balls won't matter and it teaches UL play like we all learned to play regular lies when we started the game. Once a decent grasp of the movement has been found, jump back to your better clubs and see how it plays out.

Another thing is the distance loss from uphill shots. I've not found a tried and true way to predict it so it takes a lot of trial and error practice rounds to feel it. With Mulligans available and using the free ball, you can repeat shots until you begin to feel the amount of extra power or club it takes to offset an uphill lie distance loss. Downhill will land short and roll out more so reaching  front guarded greens with bunkers or water is a lot harder to judge. Sometimes playing it long and safe is the only way to protect a par and not end up with a double bogey. Hitting out of bunkers is the most challenging with distance loss from the lie and whether it's an uphill or downhill lie. Once again, practicing it with starters will teach you the basics that will carry over to the better clubs. As a general rule I use punch wedges out of uphill bunker lies and full wedges if it's nearly level or downhill.

Please try it again and give these tips a try if you can understand my attempt at explaining them. Not everyone can understand what I mean I've been told but I try. ;)

GL

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, Sep 12 2013 6:30 AM

CerinoDevoti:
    Hitting out of bunkers is the most challenging

Would you say the angles from any acute lie from a bunker relates to RL? Also what about any acute lie you may find on say Oly even on a Fway?

I fully admit to playing this only a couple of times and thinking that's nuts.  You are a firm advocate of it and fair enough on that.

Thanks

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Thu, Sep 12 2013 7:38 AM

Jimbog1964:

CerinoDevoti:
    Hitting out of bunkers is the most challenging

Would you say the angles from any acute lie from a bunker relates to RL? Also what about any acute lie you may find on say Oly even on a Fway?

I fully admit to playing this only a couple of times and thinking that's nuts.  You are a firm advocate of it and fair enough on that.

Thanks

I make no comparisons. I don't think our "normal lies", when we know it's not level, are any closer in comparison. I just play what's in front of me with what we have. I suppose I suspend disbelief and just use the tools available as best I can.

Oly is a great course to talk about. The acute fairway lies set up beautiful draws and fades playing in UL. It's like the course was designed  with the UL feature in mind. There are holes that have say, a right side pin and the fairway is slanted left to right. With UL it creates the perfect fade right to the hole. The course goes back and forth between draw and fades so naturally it makes it like playing it even more real for me. Watching the US Open there last year really brought it home. Starting at 10,  we go up and down through the long to middle irons back and forth between draw and fade. When they say you have to hit all the shots in an Open, it really happens in UL on Oly.

I suppose to really enjoy the UL you have to accept what it can and can't do then play a strategy that only has you playing the "can do" shots. Sometimes I lay back off the tee to find the flatter fairway. Other times I just accept what's in front of me and play to the fat of the green with par in mind as the positive result.

Load the starters, clear your mind, and find the fun in the challenge.

• Imbroglio
    26 Posts
    Thu, Sep 12 2013 3:02 PM

The thing is...you may well have explained how one would adapt one's game to the uneven lie mode as it currently exists, but that's not the problem.  I have no doubt that, were I to invest the time in it, I could figure it out to a point where I could play it pretty well.  The real problem - and why I refuse to waste any time adapting to it - is because the amount of compensation required is grossly over-exaggerated in the current implementation, to a point where it's no longer even fun.

The core game plays pretty darn well, save for a few issues with ball reaction in the rough and fringes around the greens, but the first effort at uneven lies was a total swing and a miss.  When they introduce an appropriate, more realistic degree of subtlety to uneven lies, I'll give it another day in court.  Until, then, it's so unrealistic it's no fun.

• HAMINH
    119 Posts
    Thu, Sep 12 2013 4:18 PM

Imbroglio:
    When they introduce an appropriate, more realistic degree of subtlety to uneven lies, I'll give it another day in court.  Until, then, it's so unrealistic it's no fun.

Oh man, what you are thinking are exactly same as i thought in the first few times when i entered UEL RGs. Really terrible conditions, i thought that. But after some practices & other UEL RGs, all things had changed in my mind. Now i am really bored with old flat game, UEL is much more fun. Do some practice & join some uel RGs, i am sure you will like it than old game (:

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Fri, Sep 13 2013 6:14 AM

Imbroglio:

The thing is...you may well have explained how one would adapt one's game to the uneven lie mode as it currently exists, but that's not the problem.  I have no doubt that, were I to invest the time in it, I could figure it out to a point where I could play it pretty well.  The real problem - and why I refuse to waste any time adapting to it - is because the amount of compensation required is grossly over-exaggerated in the current implementation, to a point where it's no longer even fun.

The core game plays pretty darn well, save for a few issues with ball reaction in the rough and fringes around the greens, but the first effort at uneven lies was a total swing and a miss.  When they introduce an appropriate, more realistic degree of subtlety to uneven lies, I'll give it another day in court.  Until, then, it's so unrealistic it's no fun.

I understand your point re: the amount of compensation needed and in some cases it's a lot. What's funny is the version we have now is the second edition. What we had before was exactly 100% greater in compensation. I started using the UL the day they rolled it out. Then, it was incredibly hard to figure out. The amount the aimer had to be moved was 100% more so we were aiming way off the screen to try to bring the shots to the target. They actually changed it by half to the version we have now. Now we move the aimer 1 degree for every 2 degrees of slope.

If it's not for you as is I understand perfectly. It might not meet up with your playing goals so it could be just a waste of time.

Dings and birdies to ya. :)

~CD~

RSS