Forums

Help › Forums

Uneven lie tutorial

Wed, Nov 6 2019 11:24 AM (120 replies)
  • dieter59
    34 Posts
    Wed, Jan 8 2014 7:34 AM

Imbroglio:
    the effect on distance and direction of the various lies is ridiculously exaggerated.

You are perfectly right! "ridicolous" is the word that exactly describes the UL effect!

• bserowinski
    15 Posts
    Tue, Jan 28 2014 5:49 AM

Anybody have a hint for the nasty brush side hill stuff on Merion next to some of the greens?  I tried lining up so I didn't have side hill, then pitched, punched, full swing and flopped NO WHERE.  Maxed out strokes twice.  On the plus side, it kept the putt numbers down.

• treebeard
    227 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2014 4:43 AM

Well I disagree.The uneven lies senario is good.I have practised a lot and worked out what it is doing.If any of you have played real golf,you'll suss it out.If any of you have played TW online you will be used to this already.Granted,the first time you try it,it is like you are half blind and slightly stupid.....but a little perseverance is all you need.

I think without this,WGT would become only a game to "win".Let's face it,there are some seriously good players on here.BUT!!!!!!   I have played a few using the uneven lies and beat them well.(although my score was still a bit on the high side)

Perhaps WGT can work out how to introduce shot shaping.We all know it's not impossible.(see "Pro-Stroke Golf" for the PS2......ancient yes,but brilliant for it's day)

Ty  :)

• chuddlymccannon
    298 Posts
    Fri, Feb 21 2014 10:57 AM

I will agree that some of the uneven lies are crazy stupid and it would be easier to hit your ball out of quick sand than some of this stuff.

I do enjoy the UEL's though.  Very fun, I just recently started playing them.

I for one never played TW online

For the love of golf............ will people stop comparing this game to any type of xbox, sega, playstation, atari and any thing else I may have missed.

Not sure about all the games.  but, the last one I played was like TW 2001 for PS2 and ummmmm............. you knew exactly what the stupid little ball was gonna do before you ever stroked it.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sat, Feb 22 2014 1:21 AM

bserowinski:

Anybody have a hint for the nasty brush side hill stuff on Merion next to some of the greens?  I tried lining up so I didn't have side hill, then pitched, punched, full swing and flopped NO WHERE.  Maxed out strokes twice.  On the plus side, it kept the putt numbers down.

Only tip.... is not to get into that situation.

i will keep on saying this until I pass away....lol.  U/Lie is a huge Clusterfcuk. Sorry for swearing if you understood a great Clint Eastwood saying.

Well it is good, but get close to green in rough or bunker.. then it's impossible....   too extreme for my liking

-Roger

• gjps4
    298 Posts
    Wed, May 21 2014 2:42 PM

Very well stated. I refuse to even play these Tourneys. The idea is great but I'll play for real on my local course if I want uneven lies.

• ShadyShank
    629 Posts
    Fri, Jun 13 2014 10:43 AM

Pardiparpar:
    Two examples, first, on a side hill lie, lets say the ball is above my feet, the tendency is going to be to slice the shot, where if the ball is below my feet it would be the opposite.

Quick question. Are you referring to the uneven lies in the game in the quote above, or on a real course? Just a bit confused because if I'm on a real course with the ball above my feet, and were to take a normal swing with normal stance, doesn't that tend to create a hook rather than slice? And below your feet would tend to slice a shot.

I'm not a scratch golfer, or even a very low handicap anymore, but I've played over 30 years and just picturing the shots described, at least for me, it's the opposite. But, I could also be factoring in overcompensating that would lead to what happens most often for me. Then again, there are plenty of variables on the real course also, not just at WGT. And for this topic most of those variables are in a particular golfer's swing tendencies, grip, etc.

And even still, I could be just flat out wrong!

• ShadyShank
    629 Posts
    Fri, Jun 13 2014 10:54 AM

chuddlymccannon:
    For the love of golf............ will people stop comparing this game to any type of xbox, sega, playstation, atari and any thing else I may have missed.

Why? This game is a direct descendant of PGA Golf 1990. Obviously technology has made it a different game, but I disagree that the video games, at least the ones I played, took nothing at all to learn how to hit different shots. Just as this one takes a great deal of time and practice to become a TL, and people reach that tier by doing the very same thing I did on PGA Golf. Practiced like a crazy person.

And unless you did, you would never shoot TL scores on those simple video games either. So, I apologize in advance for the next reference you see of mine to a video game with many similarities, just fewer variables and easier equations, to this very game you play here.

In fact, if not for the developers of that particular golf game many years ago, there wouldn't be a WGT. That's just the reality of it and the facts concerning where this game came from. There's a very good, yet simple, reason why BPB and St. Ann were the 1st courses on this site. Because they were the 1st ones on that 25 year old video game that you may try having a bit of respect for, even if it was a little 'easier'.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sat, Jun 14 2014 4:06 AM

ShadyShank:
    I'm not a scratch golfer, or even a very low handicap anymore, but I've played over 30 years and just picturing the shots described, at least for me, it's the opposite. But, I could also be factoring in overcompensating that would lead to what happens most often for me. Then again, there are plenty of variables on the real course also, not just at WGT. And for this topic most of those variables are in a particular golfer's swing tendencies, grip, etc.

Forget what you do on a real golf course.   Just look at what's on the screen as in which way the dots are moving in the shot box,  then you should be ok 

• dan554
    97 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 8:21 AM

After reading all that,ive still got no idea. lol

RSS