Forums

Help › Forums

Uneven lie tutorial

Wed, Nov 6 2019 11:24 AM (120 replies)
  • JayO92
    172 Posts
    Sat, Sep 14 2013 12:45 AM

Uneven lies usually aren't that bad and just add another interesting element of challenge into the game.

Unless you end up in a red lie.  Red lies are a real pain in the butt.  You just got to hit and hope when you end up in one.  Allow me to demonstrate in this video with commentary;

Sorry about the blurriness.  Blame the original video file being way too large forcing me to compress.

Perhaps less deviation in those sorts of lies would be nice, but I don't think the rest of the uneven lies game needs to be tweaked that much... in fact it's the equalizer the game needs against these overpowered clubs and balls the legends have these days... does anyone here remember back in 2010, when the best driver was the R9 SuperTri, the best balls were WGT Tour GI-SD's, and 61-63 at Oakmont was enough to win the Virtual US Open?

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Sat, Sep 14 2013 11:27 AM

JayO92:

Uneven lies usually aren't that bad and just add another interesting element of challenge into the game.

Unless you end up in a red lie.  Red lies are a real pain in the butt.  You just got to hit and hope when you end up in one.  Allow me to demonstrate in this video with commentary;

Sorry about the blurriness.  Blame the original video file being way too large forcing me to compress.

Perhaps less deviation in those sorts of lies would be nice, but I don't think the rest of the uneven lies game needs to be tweaked that much... in fact it's the equalizer the game needs against these overpowered clubs and balls the legends have these days... does anyone here remember back in 2010, when the best driver was the R9 SuperTri, the best balls were WGT Tour GI-SD's, and 61-63 at Oakmont was enough to win the Virtual US Open?

I had to laugh when you say that you didn't think you were aiming left enough. I was saying it just before you hit as well. One of the things I do is hit Punch wedges from uphill lies like the one you had. I may have tried a Punched sand wedge about 90% power. With the starters, it's about 50 yards of power. I'm always afraid to hit wedge full from such uphill lies and have it shoot straight up and go nowhere. The result of your shot was well inside what I call "the circle of acceptable result" with UL. Pretty darn good really. You were putting for par from a very reasonable distance.

Please record more of these type videos if you have time. Some approach shots to par 4's showing how you decide how much aimer movement you need to end up in target would really help a lot of people.

• gr8flbob
    592 Posts
    Sat, Sep 14 2013 6:26 PM

CerinoDevoti:
    Please record more of these type videos if you have time. Some approach shots to par 4's showing how you decide how much aimer movement you need to end up in target would really help a lot of people.

I would be happy to contribute  a video or 5, lol. IF ... I could find a program that didn't murder the meter whilst I shot the vid. I tried with SnagIt, but UEL is really a finesse game for me because I use a combination of aim and off-ding  hits to 'play the terrain'.

Any suggestions for best capture program for use with WGT gameclient?

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Sun, Sep 15 2013 5:31 AM

Best thing, nowadays, about Uneven Lies is: you never meet cheaters.

Eric

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Oct 4 2013 10:19 PM

LOLserver:

Best thing nowadays about Uneven Lies: you never meet cheaters.

Eric

Good point Eric....hehehe

• michgolferman
    246 Posts
    Sat, Oct 5 2013 9:11 AM

The problem I have found with uneven lies it that I try to apply real world golf experience to shots and WGT isn't about what happens in the real world in my experience so far.

I realize there are a lot of people on WGT that have never stepped foot on a real golf course, but for me it is hard to go against decades of personal experience to play the way uneven lies is programmed.

• Imbroglio
    26 Posts
    Sat, Oct 5 2013 11:27 PM

EXACTLY!!!

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Mon, Oct 7 2013 7:19 AM

Great original post, Eric.

Personally, for me,  I think uneven lies play pretty much the same as my RL golf game, hence why I enjoy them.

^^^ The above probably says more about my own RL game than wgt's version... LOL

psst... leave the driver in the bag on Merion #7(?)

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Wed, Oct 9 2013 4:13 AM

WigerToods2010:

Great original post, Eric.

Personally, for me,  I think uneven lies play pretty much the same as my RL golf game, hence why I enjoy them.

^^^ The above probably says more about my own RL game than wgt's version... LOL

psst... leave the driver in the bag on Merion #7(?)

Thx wiger.

Answering the two post above, I have been playing golf for many years with as low as hdc 2....this is a GAME and has not much to do with reality either with even or uneven lies. 

The theory behind the game is; try hitting the ding for the perfect shot...and it works somehow on EVEN lies. Playing on even lies is (I do not know how many tens of times I have said this) WAY TOO EASY, I guess nobody would disagree.

The twist about uneven lies makes the game harder and more INTUITIVE which is why I love uneven lies. 

Uneven lies needs to be tuned down (mainly the short game around the green) in order to make it more credible & popular. I have NO idea why WGT does not finish it.

.....top of the cake: CHEATERS have NOT whatsoever advantage with Uneven Lies.

Eric

• bookish07
    13 Posts
    Wed, Oct 30 2013 7:31 PM

Corwyn:

• You can gain a measure of control with a sidehill lie by deliberately missing the ding against the slope, i.e. if the slope's going to take the ball left, miss the ding a little right. Woe betide you if you miss the ding with the slope (especially if the wind is also taking the ball that way; this is where you see the most extreme effects).

This i did a while back and posted it: i found it odd that you can maintain such control with the meter.

I just played the back 9 of WGT Hardest Holes. CHAMPION TEES. VERY FAST GREENS.

I played the entire course without moving the aim marker including putts. I only used the left or right of the ding meter to aim. I made 2 birdies 6 pars and 1 bogie! All without using the aim marker! For a total of 1 under!

Oh and I did it with a regular ball.

I will attempt again once i get setup to record gameplay and make some videos

RSS